Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Deformed roses?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
EverCurious
Palmdale, CA

August 21, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9637456

Hi there, I have a 'Granada' rose that I purchased last October, it was fine then, the flowers were all normally formed. Now however instead of the typical 25-50 petals I've heard are common to this variety I'm lucky if each flower has 15. Some of the last flowers had only 2 fully formed petals and a couple highly deformed ones. There are no aphids present nor any other pests or fungal diseases that I can identify. The foliage is a little sunburned but recovering nicely. We've had temperatures averaging in the mid to high 90s and I've been watering deeply ever other day. The rose is planted in full sun.

Any ideas as to why these flowers are like this? Should I just call it a loss and try another rose? Any information would be highly appreciated.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 21, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9637499

I would say the high temps have played a large part of the malfunction of the Rose.I would remove the flowers by pruning right back to the next lower bud to allow for more flowering to take place.

IF the next flowers are disfigured then keep watering and caring for it, when the temps are cooler in your winter, dig the Rose back up and without breaking the roots, move the plant to a more shaded area, somewhere that the direct sun is not so punishing. Roses do like sunshine for most of the day but not the type of temps your having.

When you move the Rose, Prepare the soil and new planting hole in advance, make sure you have plenty of humus added to the planting hole and add a handful of Rose feed at the bottom of hole and fork it into the bottom soil to help it recover from the move to a new environment. when you place the roots into the hole, try spread them out, Make sure the roots are placed properly, not going around like they were in the pot. I like to Bury the rose well into the soil and make sure the where the stems are growing from the roots, ( THE CROWN) that part is under the soil, unless the Rose has been of the grafted type (grafted onto a different root stock) if they are then the graft should be above the soil or you may encourage brier rose shoots to be produced from under the soil, Brier Roses are normally the rootstock used for grafting. if these are left to grow, they sap the strength from the NAMED Rose variety and it eventually died off.
IF it helps, insert a clear plastic juice bottle with the bottom removed and cap also removed, insert this into the planting hole with an inch or two above the soil so when you water you fill the container and this allows water to seep right down to the roots where it is required, especially in such hot weather. sometimes we thing the water is getting way down to the roots but in fact it is running off a hard crust that forms on the top of the soil.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck and best Regards.
WeeNel.
EverCurious
Palmdale, CA

August 22, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9638232

Thank you so much for your advice. A new flower just opened up and it has about 16 petals or so, I hope it keeps it up but if not I will try moving it like you suggested. This one is my favorite rose, the scent is divine, so I was really worried I'd have to replace it. Thanks again!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 22, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9638428

Roses are a bit tougher than you think and I have seen them moved about several times before finding there rightful place, the secret is to dug up and move at the right time of year to protect the roots and new buds growing on the stems / branches. Always make the new planting area ready for taking the up-lifted plant and this saves a lot of root drying out as it is laid down usually on top of the soil while you begin to prepare the planting hole, so by doing it all before you dig up the Rose, and make sure the weather is cooler, then it should soon perk up after several days in the new environment, add a little Rose fertiliser into the new site too.
Good Luck. WeeNel.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9640079

A picture would help just in case we need to rule out rose rosette virus, herbicide damage, etc.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America