Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: How do you grow bigger melons?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KarensWorld
High Point, NC

August 22, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9638179

I planted watermelons, cantaloupes, and pumpkins this year. I've already harvested a watermelon and cantaloupe (one each), but am discouraged by the tiny fruits. Should I be using manure to help size things up? I broadcast 10-10-10 fertilizer, but didn't add any manure. Does manure make that much difference? And if so, should I use a particular type (chicken, cow, whatever)?

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9638253

Variety is the most important. If you want big melons plant a big variety.
Space is very important. The larger varieties need a minimum of 64 square feet per plant.
Preparation: watermelons demand a loose soil. a sandy loam is best. Heavy clay they really don't like. It also has to be deep. Cantaloupes are more tolerant of heavy soils.
Fertilization. Watermelons are not heavy feeders. I have had nice ones from volunteers in fence rows. I use 10-10-10 at 300 lbs per acre. Manure or compost is excellent if you have it. It serves also as a soil conditioner and a loose friable soil is essential. Cantaloupes feed a bit heavier than watermelons. Chicken manure is nitrogen heavy and can cause excessive vine growth to the detriment of setting melons. http://s294.photobucket.com/user/farmerdill/library/Watermelon?sort=9&page=1 http://s294.photobucket.com/user/farmerdill/library/pepper/Cucumis%20Melo?sort=4&page=1
KarensWorld
High Point, NC

August 22, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9638275

Thanks, Farmerdill. I didn't allow that much space. I have heavy clay soil, but it was amended with plenty of compost.

Looks like I'm going to have to tear up more yard next year!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9638288

If you have the typical Piedmont red clay, you have your work cut out for you for watermelons. Cantaloupes should be easier.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9638464

Does anyone know of a source for
Citrullus lanatus 'Schochler' Watermelon seeds?

I hear it is an F1 hybrid and used to be popular in the South.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/95623/

Very long melon. 40 to 50 lb. The flesh is bright crimson, fine grained and very sugary. Tough rind: rich dark green with faint stripe. Can be shipped succesfully. Used to be grown extensively in the South. 90 DTM.

I've tried online searches, my "usual" seed vendors, and sent email special requests to these:

Baker Creek
SandHill
SeedMan
Victory Seeds
LocalHarvest
Sustainable Seed Company
Texas Watermelon Association
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America