darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9641453

I haven't been on this forum since we stopped tracking hurricanes and those in their paths.

The weather across the country as been so up and down during spring and summer, with drought or flooding, that I'm concerned about what winter might bring.

Any thoughts?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2013
9:55 PM

Post #9641465

I just read that the Old Farmers Almanac predicts a terribly cold and hard winter.
southgal

September 1, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9647578

It may beat the hot and dry summer we are having.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 1, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9647634

Anything is better than the last week was, near 100º every day.
Today, 73º & light NW wind. Sunny, with fall type clouds now & then.

I think our strawberries are OK again. We picked a bunch this morning & the fruit flies seem to be gone.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9647673

Looks promising:

A cool front slowly moving south will at least bring a chance of storms to OK,TX,LA,AR,MO, today and tonight. Need the rain!!

according to a U.S. Severe Weather site.

I'm sure you all know this already but I find it fascinating seeing where it heads to (normally we only look at what is coming not where its heading to afterwards).

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9647683

Wow, I can't help but notice how very different my view of the summer weather if vs each of yours. Here it has been anything BUT dry. Some kind of crazy weather system has parked itself over my area such that we have had rain and Tstorms every single day since some time in June 2013. Seriously. The sun very rarely peaks out from the cloud cover anymore; our entire world is soaking wet to the point that even some trees look like they may be giving up; my yard smells moldy; and I have to mow wet grass and even grass that is under water if I want to mow at all. We could probably grow some good rice here these days, and cranberries maybe.

CNN did a spot on the problem here. They said the worst part is the weather system which is causing the rain here shows no sign of moving. They said it's easy to write our weather report now, since every day is 'ditto'.

The other day it occurred to me that we may be becoming Seattle 2.

Lilypon, I, too, like to see where system go and also where they come from and how weather in one place effects another.
southgal

September 1, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9647699

DreamofSpring,lol!!!you are hogging all the rain.LoL!!!!Send some down South.It is very dry here.We have that red clay dirt here.If the ground is real dry,then you can hang it up trying to dig any holes around here.Its been a 100 for the high all week.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9647841

ROTF, southgal,

You got that right! I am hogging ALL of the rain. That's why it's so dry everywhere else. Since June it has rained here for hours on end day after day after day - and sometimes all night long, too. Just since June we have accumulated twenty-some inches of extra rain, beyond what we would normally expect. I'm just really happy that we have managed not to drown - yet.

Can't do much gardening here either. The ground is so saturated, if you dig a hole, it is instantly full of water. No kidding! We are at or slightly below sea level, and with all that endless rain, it's getting hard to separate the yard from the ocean. I tried to plant a rose. I used a shovel to dig a hole, but as I said it was a hole full of water - to w/in 1-2in of the top. I held the bare root rose upright in the water with one hand while using the other hand to put the dirt back into the water - like a big, messy mud pie. It was very messy, but then I didn't have to worry about watering the newly planted rose. Time will tell how well that actually works. 1st time I ever planted anything by putting the soil into the water instead of the other way around.

Oh, but it is definitely hot here. Don't think rain means cool. It does not. Here it just means more steam - hot, humid, and steamy. This time of year, I just stay indoors until it's over.

Hoping you guys gets some rain very soon! I wish I could share. Really I do! :-)
southgal

September 1, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9647937

LOL DreamofSpring!!! That is to funny you planting a rose bush in the rain and your yard flooding.I can't believe it don't float off.LOL!!!That is funny how you planted it backwards.At lease it doesn't have to be watered for a long time.I wish we would get some rain too.We need it bad!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9648000

We got some rain this morning!!! We had a nice big thunderstorm land for a few hours and give us some much needed rain. Messed up my road...again but that's the new normal here. Road is always messed up.

After rain passed weather was super nice...then the sun came out. Humidity shot up and I couldn't tell the difference between today and the last few days.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 1, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9648099

Down right cold tonight! 63º
Turned the car heater on for the drive home from dinner at Applebee's.
southgal

September 1, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9648123

Countrygardens,i wish it was 63 here.I would be jumping up and down.

It is still a hot and muggy night here.(((YUCK)))

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9648259

I'm going to Lewisville, MN...LOL.

We had a couple days about ten days ago that the temps were actually upper 60's in the pre-dawn, gave me a taste of fall. But that didn't last long.

In Central FL, we usually don't see our first cool front till late Sept...if we're lucky.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

September 2, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9648269

Yea, Bernie, we had 55 this morning. It felt so good to be able to open windows and air house out.
Now maybe I can get out side and tackle some of these gigantic weeds that I am growing.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 2, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9648282

50º here. I'm heading out to trim tomatoes.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 2, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9648377

Before & after the trimming.
Rows on left side of picture are the ones I worked on.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 2, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9648442

They're calling for a high of 95F today and 100s later in the week. September can sometimes be our hottest month. Moan.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9648772

I, too, am envious of you folks in MN & WI. It's super hot here, too. A/C runs non-stop all day long, and when you open the door the air outside is thick, hot, and almost suffocating. It doesn't usually even start to cool down here until mid to late Sept - and by 'cool down' I mean drop back into the mid to upper 80's. Most years I still have the A/C running on New Year's Day here. People don't realize it's that hot here, but some days the temp here exceeds that of Death Valley.

It's the Gulf Stream that makes it unexpectedly hot here. We are right on the Atlantic Coast. The Gulf Stream runs right along close to the coast here. The Gulf Stream is an ocean current which brings the heat up from the Gulf of Mexico, making the temp/weather here in Charleston much the same as that of the Gulf Coast states and of central & northern Florida.

It never gets really cold here. I have a split-leaf philodendron which lives year round in a giant pot in front of the garage. We typically get maybe 5 nights down in the low 30's, even down as low as 28F, but they are not consecutive nights, and the next day the temp soars quickly back up to the 50's and even 70's. Winter is actually my favorite time of year here and the best time to do yard and garden maintenance. You can garden year round here. I have flowers in my yard all year, including Dec - Feb.

Oh, and about that rose planting story I told earlier. I think I failed to communicate it correctly. When I said the hole I dug filled up with water instantly, I didn't mean from rain. It wasn't raining at all at the time - although I have done some gardening/planting in the rain at other times. The hole filled up with water as quickly as I could dig it, because the water was coming from the GROUND! That's how wet it is here now. It has been raining daily non-stop since June. The ground is so completely soaked with water that any hole I dig instantly fills with water. How scary is that?! I think we are like one big shower away from washing into the Atlantic Ocean.

I do wish I could share some of this water with those of you in dry areas. It's raining here now and has been for hours, but that seems to be our norm now. Btw, I'm glad to hear that some of you who need rain got some recently. Wish we could rig up some kind of irrigation system, something like the Roman aqueducts, to send some of this excess water over to the heartland where it belongs.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9648805

A foggy wet cool sunrise of 56 degrees , 91 Degrees now , evaporation is awful , it is scorching hot ans sunny , kids all like it , . I'm glad somebody does .!!!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9648881

91F was our high today (so happy we had a cool night last night).
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9649005

Mid 80s for high today and low humidity. Tonight will get into the mid 50s for a low. Gonna feel gooooood. lol
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9649024

Our first frost date is November 30. September here is very much like August. October is our best month in the whole year IMO. We had rain about 8 times in August which is unusual and on the whole our year has been wetter than the last few. We were playing catchup from the terrible drought of the last 3 years so it was very welcome.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

September 2, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9649046

We don't seem to have any weather any more. Sun comes up it gets daylight, sun goes down it gets dark. In between temp goes from 65 up to 80 and then back down to 65. Very little breeze, very little wind and about 50% cloud. Some light showers at night and a few during the day. Day after day. Some days the wind is lighter and humidity goes up, some days its a little breezy and humidity goes down.
No gales, no storms, no 90f+ days, no drought, no snow, no frost
The weather guys on TV try to find surf for the surfers but only goes from flat to maybe 4ft. We do have jelly fish warnings in the weather reports to warn beach goers. They usually occur once a month.
Luckily its a quiet hurricane season and at the end of October we will start watching for winter storms and high surf. But for now - its quiet.
If you don't get a report you knows its same ol, same ol.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9649056

microb, it sounds a bit like paradise. Do you all get bored with paradise?
southgal

September 2, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9649084

Now that sounds like the kind of weather i could handle all year around.Some people have it lucky with the weather and some people the weather hits hard.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2013
1:43 AM

Post #9649268

Very cool this early morning. A bit like fall in the air. It will warm up into the 80s later today. Still nice compared to the way it usually is this time of year. Hoping for another winter with just the right amount of colder weather.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2013
2:00 AM

Post #9649273

Can't say the same here. Our temps were dropping but then started rising again.

Currently 72F feels like 77

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2013
3:38 AM

Post #9649281

Lilypon, your weather sounds perfect! Now, at least.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9649382

LOL to you anyways ;o) Too warm for me (thanking my lucky stars however that our dewpoint has dropped dramatically...all our crops have ripened and all that is left is for our grass to turn scorched brown). Most here are letting it go into dormancy until the fall rains come.

Don't dare complain too much as we all know what is waiting in the wings. :O

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9649383

@ 7:00am 17C / 63F

Not much of a cool off last night :'(
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9649518

Another somewhat humid morning. They are calling for a high of 99F.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9649575

Country Gardens, I think Bernie? Love the shots of your tomatoes...sure would love to have a green house like that...the room for one.
Every day here we will just reach 90° then have a thunderstorm, or one close enough to bring us down to somewhat comfortable. It was only 73 when I went walking this morning with the pooch, felt good.
southgal

September 3, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9649881

Another day at 100F.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9649966

Got up to 99F. Looking forward to winter. So looking forward to winter.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9649969

80's today ,
I am not looking forward to winter ;;lol
59% humidity
5MPH wind
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9650031

Same as Ju and Cville. :~)
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9650106

Mid 90's. Hot. Need Rain or will have to water.
Rain forcast 30% Wed thru Fri...some hope.
Fortunately everything is still growing and green.
southgal

September 3, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9650134

We did get a few drops of rain earlier.Need more!!!

Kelli,i am like you.I am ready for winter.I am ready for the snakes to go back in their holes!!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9650145

Winter is the "rainy season" and I look forward to the greening up, too. Winter and spring are the natural growing season here. Summer and fall are the dormant seasons.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

southgal

September 3, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9650170

Nice pic Kelli.
The two seasons i like the most are Spring and Fall.

Winter here everything is brown!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9650428

Thanks, southgal

They are calling for 104F today.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9650506

Hey there Kelli, weird weather huh. I guess you got some heat this summer in LA, here on the central coast it was really mild. That was until this weeks heat spell. My garden is so confused. I have vines that are red for fall and bulbs that are coming up thinking it must be spring. I'd say better late than never but I don't really feel that way.
southgal

September 4, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9650650

Kelli,your welcome!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9650873

Warmer and getting warmer this week. Will soon be back into the mid 90s.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2013
2:27 AM

Post #9651077

Very cool last night with low humidity. Temps warming again in the next few days.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9651109

50's this morning , 80's for this afternoon
Cold morning , really !!!
DRY 4IN. below normal rainfall
almost 1/2 a degree below normal for the year (summer)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9651164

My sleep last night started under just a quilt but sometime during the night I awakened to look for an additional blanket. Don't know how cool it was, somewhere around 50º I think.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9651259

They are calling for 104F again today.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9651360

104 that's amazing. I grew up in Long Beach and I thought 85 was hot. Do you just drag the hose around all day or what. I don't think my plants could handle 104.
southgal

September 5, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9651382

Mid to upper 90's for today.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9651396

Just back from getting scripts in town. Leaves are falling everywhere already!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9651451

Domehomedee, the plants are tough. We run the sprinkler system three times a week. Most of the plants in pots are succulents and get watered once a week. I stay indoors when it gets this hot. Actually, over 85F is hot to me, too, and I don't go out much when it is over 85F.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9651464

On August 31st it was 96 degrees here , that's our hottest of the year ,
Over 90 degrees it doesn't mean much about it being hot .
For a colder year over all , nationally it has been a scorcher anyway ,.
This is me with the ( I don't care what it all says ) it is hot anyway !!!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2013

Post #9651837

33C Feels like 38C

91.4 F Feels like 104F
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9651861

Currently 82 but I'm ready for actual fall weather with the changing of the leaves. I don't want anymore 90+ temps. Yeah, I'm whining. lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9651865

Lots of responses, but no posts about what folks think this winter may be like...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9651873

Cold and hopefully snowy!! Roads are alot smoother when covered in several inches of snow all winter long. lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9651887

I like snow pretty much, but we often end up with icy roads, not so good for driving safely.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9651894

That is as the power outage with a blizzard 3 or four years ago and no power for 12 days (blah)
Winter can keep all that to itself , I will take a couple of months of good cold weather for the plants though,
As for me , I don;t look forward to cold or flu season with that , only that seems to have become a year round thing nowadays anyway . .
Yes it is looking to be later ,cooler, wetter , and more snowy , than the past few..

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9651895

Nobody is sure yet what the winter will be like Darius. ENSO is all over the place in Neutral territory. It gets close to La Nina or El Nino and then changes direction again (been doing this for about two years now). What happens in September/October/November will give a clearer picture). A warm fall has led to cold winters and cold falls have had warm winters. It will be the AO/NAO and the snow cover in Siberia that will tell the tale eventually.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2013 7:42 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9651896

I hope we get at least our average amount of rain this winter. (That would be 16 inches.) This past winter was one of the driest on record. I forget the amount but I think it was around 4 inches.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

September 6, 2013
12:43 AM

Post #9652067

No time to get bored with the weather. Lots of animals, hobbies and plants to keep us busy
But my wife and I do appreciate how lucky we are. We drove from our home on the East side of the island 100 miles to Kailua -Kona today for our every two month trip to Costco (our nearest). Imagine our shopping spree, we have a 1 ton cargo van instead of a passenger sedan. Afterall there is just the two of us. Who needs rear passenger seats.
Day started out clear blue sky, very little wind, about 68f. Drove through Volcano National Park, still clear blue sky apart from the plume of volcanic smoke coming from the eruption of Kilauea about 1 mile to our left. Going along the south coast we had the peak of Mauna Loa 12,000 ft in a clear blue sky to our right and about 30 miles further on the deep blue of the pacific ocean sparkling to our left below the rugged cliffs. Stopped at a local bakery for turnovers and a nature break (we are that age) and then on to Kona.
On the way back the clouds built up over the mountains with the afternoon heat and as we returned through the park rain showers were misting the back of the valleys contrasting with the blue sky over the ocean. Driving down from the 4000ft level in the park to our home at 2200ft we could see the Pacific ocean beyond the islands east coast line about 25 miles away and you could just determine the curve of the earth where the ocean horizon kissed the evening sky.
Back at our house still no rain, still no wind, plants in pots were wilting and life gets back to normal. Believe me we appreciate where we live and look forward to you all spending your savings and coming to visit our beautiful islands.
Tomorrows weather - the same with maybe a few more light showers on Saturday. Only subtle changes forecast for next week.
Hope this was not too long.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 6, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9652282

They're calling for 106F today.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9652297

That's unreal, Kelli. I'm wearing a flannel shirt already and upstate NY is calling for frost.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 6, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9652299

It's pretty typical for September here. We can get days over 100F into October even. I sure would like some flannel shirt weather.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9652585

The temp here is running in the low 90's but that still yields a triple digit effective temp when adjusted for humidity. Today was 91F, 105F heat indexed (adjusted for humidity), and we are only a hop & skip away from you, darius.

As for what winter will be like, my fear is that ours will be just like summer (endless rain) but cooler, probably with a handful of icy, frosty days. The weather folks on CNN still say they can do our weather report with a cut and paste from the prior days, and then they laugh and say that weird system that is causing all of our rain shows no sign of leaving, ever. Actually, I don't think it has rained yet today, but there is always tonight.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9652596

Whup, hope it changes before Oct. 3 when I have a trip planned to Morehead City for several days on a fresh seafood hunt!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9652731

HUMIDITY has dropped real low here , put a quart of water on a small plant 7;30 am came back at noon and the plants had started to shrivel dry as could be , Air is dehydrating the ground , mummification time
82 degrees
26% humidity
wind 0 . You all realize being weather wise, conscience, or sensitive , is driving me nuts !!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 6, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9652751

High 80's today, but a nice south wind made it bearable.

Winter in MN.
Snow starts mid November, might stay until April. 3 or 4 good blizzards along the way.
Temperatures below freezing most of Dec, Jan, & Feb. Low as -30º possible.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9652784

Bernie, how do you stand those winters if you can't even get to the GH?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9652813

I am for having it stay Spring or Fall all year long , I think fall would be better though, Waiting for harvest if it was forever spring would really test my emotions ! lol At least if it was fall I could look at all the goodies of the harvest no matter how I felt !! :-)
No I'm really not that childish ,, at least not yet ,, I think ???

This message was edited Sep 6, 2013 9:09 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9652837

We cracked the 90s today and hit 91. Next several days will be 90s and close to 100. Ugh!!!! I just keep telling myself next month is fall. Just a half a month to go!!! lol

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2013
10:37 PM

Post #9652989

Jahur7 - I'm with you, Fall is the best time of year and Spring is a close second. I think I like Fall because it is the only time of year I don't get hayfever, LOL. And Spring, well, what gardener doesn't love Spring. I'm ready for pumpkins and cool breezes.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2013
12:13 AM

Post #9653007

I agree. Fall is in the air here at night but warm temps again during the day. 90s predicted for the week ahead. But, then, it's still September. The hummers are eating a lot at the feeders ... fattening themselves for the migration. It won't be long before they are on their way south again. I always miss them when they go.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9653117

darius,

Morehead City is NC, different animal. Even if people are inclined to refer to us as The Carolinas, our weather is quite different. Plus, and this is a biggie, the weather in Charleston is quite unlike that in the rest of SC, except for the Beaufort & Hilton Head area. A narrow strip of coastline from Charleston south to the GA border has more in common weather-wise with central Florida (based on a zone system more detailed than the one we typically use) than with SC or GA, this due to the effects of the Gulf Stream which runs very close to the coast in this area bringing warm air up from the Gulf. For instance, we have virtually no real winter and typically see a very light dusting of snow once per decade, not enough to even scoop up a shallow bowl of snow cream & even that typically falls late in the day or evening and is gone by morning. Bottom line, I doubt it will be this hot where you are going, even if there is no change.

As to the endless rain, which, btw, is upon us again, I don't know if NC, particularly that part of NC, is even included in the area effected by the strange weather system that has been trying to drown us for months now. Let's hope not, since that area of NC up around the Outer Banks and such seems to see a lot of serious flooding anyhow, even w/o the weather system that has been dumping all this rain on us. (It looks to me like the L pressure system causing the rain may only be effecting the lower coast of NC, well below where you are going, but I'm not certain about that.)

Above all, let's just hope the change we see by that date doesn't involve a major hurricane! Hoping the weather will be good for your visit.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9653129

We had 2.5 inches of rain on Wed. evening, and yesterday 3.5 inches. Nice overcast morning at 73°, humidity was about 80%, but still nice for morning walk with no sun blazing down. Should make it to 90° today.

Never know what winter will be like here, last two years were wonderful, only a handful of freezing nights...but some years the Canadians down here say it is colder than their weather. One way or the other it won't be until January-ish, give or take a month either way.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9653146

They're calling for 100F today. I like fall once it cools down. November should be agreeable and maybe there will even be some rain.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9653172

I'd love to see some rain, but you can keep the humidity, LOL. We haven't seen rain since Spring and not much then.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9653619

Still hot and now humid. Ozone alert went out for the area today due to the air quality. Mid 90s for high.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

September 7, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9653699

For todays weather refer back to Sept 2nd report. Just add a couple more showers. No change expected for the next week.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9653755

Well I've just today seen two forecast model maps re this winter (the NAO and AO as well as the Siberian snow cover will remain more reliable) however this is what those model maps are showing:

One shows Saskatchewan colder than average and since we've been sharing so well this past year the States below us and esp to the East will be the recipients of our loverly winter conditions.

The other model shows just about all of North America being warm (Saskatchewan especially will be well above our normal winter temps). The only place that it is showing to be cooler than normal are those areas that are being gifted with so much rain along the East Coast of the United States (from above Georgia to about the mid section...Atlantic storms?)/

Both are of course in la la land right now.

Today a little rain here (barely enough to knock the harvest dust down). highest I saw, that I can remember 18C.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2013 9:48 PM

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9653762

Thanks much for that gift, Lilypon!

I will look forward to receipt of your gift. Per my understanding the northern and midwestern states usually get the worst of that arctic air that drifts downward, except...A year or two back a pressure system set itself up across the northern US, forcing the arctic air that would otherwise have blown through that area to move south instead. We had an exceptionally chilly winter that year even here where winters are usually quite mild. As much as I appreciate your thinking of us, please don't send a repeat of that weather pattern. ;-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9653763

Great recap, Thanks!!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 8, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9654072

Forgot to say it will also be the snow cover in Saskatchewan that will also effect how cold and how much snow the States below us get (Siberia first then us). For places like Texas to get snow we have to have a really good snow pack up here (as well as a bunch of other conditions have to be in place...one being getting rid of the high pressure ridge that is sitting over them). Every cold front that drops down eats away at it/nudges it over. Lately there has been talk of it (high pressure ridge) moving over to New Mexico. At a couple of weather sites I post at the Texans eagerly watch for my postings of snow and cold (they want it desperately). I found it really strange but they are weather lovers and love having something different in their neck of the woods.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2013 10:11 AM
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9654093

Wettest year here I can ever remember. Not as many days over 90 either.

I'm wondering if winter will be extreme.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2013

Post #9654434

98 currently. I thought it was Sept, not July.
southgal

September 8, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9654612

High today was 100.Tonight in the 70's.Tomorrow back at 100.(((YUCKY AND STICKY)))

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2013
1:06 AM

Post #9654719

100% humidity here at the moment: raining. The Farmers' Almanac says our winter weather will be "chilly and wet". We had a warm winter last year and the insects got in an additional reproductive cycle so some colder temps this winter will be appreciated.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9654910

We got fog this morning early 60's with the humidity at 100% Still no rain ,70's now , partly cloudy .
Long time since any rain here , we need it badly ,last years started this way ,weather 360 ,

Looking for a high of 88 degrees today ,,
With the humidity so high it needs to rain ,
But it dropped to 20% the other afternoon , even the trees curled and shriveled .
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 9, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9654991

They're calling for a high of 97F today and back into the 100s later in the week.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9655496

Well it is still 89 degrees at 8 pm .
Got to 94 to 96 degrees today .
FALL SUMMER ,FALL I need to make up my mind . you hear that Mother Nature !!! .

You can wear the air this evening , whew,,!!! wee !!!

This message was edited Sep 9, 2013 7:59 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9655532

Currently 93 and this morning when I went to work (early, early morning) it was still 80.

But the good news is relief is on it's way!! In a couple days we will start dropping down to low 80s.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9655624

Lily: I will be hoping for low snow cover in your area. As to those Texans, I'm thinking their true motivation may be to escape the terrible heat they have endured for months. I get that way, too, around this time of year when having ice dumped on me sounds wonderful and it seems no amount of cold could possibly be too much for me. Incidentally, I've been surprised at some of your late summer highs up there, where I would have expected much milder summer weather. Is this normal for you?

plantnutz: GA is one of the states effected by the low pressure system which has been dumping torrents of rain on us daily since June - so that may explain why it is so wet in your area. According to CNN, that system shows no sign of moving in the near future, meaning lots more rain for us both.

juhur7: I felt for you upon reading that the leaves in your trees are drying up due to drought. I experienced that a few years ago here, so I know the devastation and the fear one experiences at the thought of possibly loosing trees. Ours survived, btw. I'm hoping yours will, too. Just to put this into perspective, many of my trees are now turning yellow and dropping their leaves in apparent response to far too much water. Some became almost totally defoliated in August even.
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9655823

DreamofSpring, yes, we have been getting torrents of rain. I have been getting lots more rain than people in the northern and eastern and western parts of my county. Many of these rains have been torrential downpours, what I call frogchokers and it is like the thunderstorm is just parked over my house for an hour or more. My backyard has had standing water many times this summer. It is like walking on a sponge when it soaks it up. I have not had to water once this year. Of course, we were in a drought for several years prior to this. We just can't be happy, can we?

On a happy note, though, we have not lost any trees but the surrounding areas have lost many. Go figure! We are having many trees drop leaves now.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9655899

Being this warm is unusual for us at this time of year DreamsofSpring...however not surprising since a lot of our summer was springlike. It seems when we have cool summers we usually have a warm fall (greatly needed, and appreciated, to get our crops to ripen this year). By now we will normally have had a frost though afterwards we would still have some days in the 80's).

That jet stream had such a corkscrew like path this summer. We had some mornings in the mid 30's F back in late July early August that had our hearts sink into the abyss with fear.

Our farm has had the canola, peas and winter wheat harvested now and the durum is one week away from being ready (I thought it was off but it will be soon with our current weather forecast). The flax isn't ready yet but rain won't hurt it nor will frost at this point in its development.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9656009

Low snow cover is what most are praying for up here too btw. It will mean colder temps for us but we'd rather have that then lots of snow (its been a tough couple of snow shoveling / highway traveling winters that we've had over the past couple of years). Past two years we've had record breaking snowfall / cover.

I know however those fellows in Texas are praying for the opposite to befall upon us. Its the fellows in Houston that really want snow (it is so rare for it to fall down there). I keep telling them that if they have lots of moisture available they will so regret having a strong cold front head their way (do they even have snow shovels down there? ;o)

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 9:26 AM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9656125

93 degrees
We will see how high it goes.
Hot , dry , humid , still summer ,

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9656135

Summer here hasn't been as hot, too wet, nor too dry as many of you have experienced. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9656138

BTW early Thursday morn we are predicted to drop down to 8C...I'd hold onto your umbrellas tightly when that cold front heads down.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9656143

The draw changes , I am sure you know and are plenty aware , the weather will get to you with something different sooner or later , Summer , Winter , Spring , Fall .
The deck has four Aces in favor of the house(weather) , All the odds are against us) it's a Pooper man!!!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9656147

I doubt they have snow shovels in Houston. We don't have them here, neither the large vehicles for the roads nor the manual types for homes. We don't have any equipment or training for dealing with snow or ice. No salt. no snow tires or chains. None of that stuff. Since we only get an inch or so (or less) once per decade, it would not be cost effective here. Therefore, when it does snow even an inch or two, we close all of the schools and businesses and 'roll up the streets' to the city. Snow here never lasts more than a day, anyhow. This may be another reason those Texans are hoping for snow - around here snow equals a day off from work, usually with pay.

When folks from the northern areas move here, they get a kick out of our response to snow and how we close down the city. But they do tell us we have some of the best highways they've seen - salt is bad for highways (& cars). All that freezing & thawing is also hard on highways. All we have here is sand for use on the occasional patch of ice that may appear on tall bridges - sand & bridge closed signs.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9656152

Tell me about it, juhur7. This time of year we are holding our collective breath & trying to dodge hurricanes.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9656178

Brings to mind when we played games like Dodgeball and such , These days weather dodging is much more serious , !!! Games are rigged , decks are stacked , marked , and mirrored , and nobody if anybody wins !!!
Giant waves at sea
Tornadoes ,
Tropical storms
hail storms
straight line winds
Droughts
floods
starvation & dehydration .
months without power
Freezing to near death and frostbite
no fuels .
I have managed to miss Hurricanes with no regrets about it at all , But , as all,, I have had my share of weather "Fun"
This is the part where we look at one another and say " Been there , Done that " and as often as it had been , we could of passed on the reality or the idea of it happening ???

Oh I forgot Extreme Temperatures and their rapid changes ... lol ???
Egads lets add
Mudslides
Blizzards Of course these could of been part of freezing and floods .
DOS the only thing i ever experienced in your state was flash flood ,, Those are lots and lots of "Fun" also

Well darn it !!! I give up now at adding Earthquakes , H ow I ever forgot being there for those is beyond me ,,
Does this mean tsunami
Hurricanes
And Asteroid impacts is what I have to look forward to , maybe I should put Solar Flare on the looking forward to list . just for the heck of it . lol ... That's all Folks...

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 2:29 PM

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 2:35 PM

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 2:40 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9656199

I was waiting , although not long , for westerner's to pop in here with Wildfires or some one from the USSR (now Russia ) to say Meteoroid impacts ,

Ending on a positive note though ; in all that ;
There is and has been some of the prettiest Sunrise's and Sunset's anyone ever saw !!!
Yes rain and thunderstorms are often Beautiful also (sigh )

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9656416

97 DEGREES Today's high was 99 degrees,, almost ..
34 % humidity
WIND 8-17 .
SUN WORSHIPERS DREAM , at the moment
Not exactly mine though ..

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 6:43 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9656466

They were calling for a high of 88 today. It's nice to have a day below 90F though this won't last. We haven't even turned the air conditioner on yet, though we will have to before we go to bed if not before since the upstairs gets hot.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9656542

Currently 89. Still hot but we only have one more day before we start dropping. This weekend our high will be in the high 70s to low 80s. PERFECT weather!!!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 10, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9656651

Nice cool down here today. Only 78º.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2013
3:04 AM

Post #9656792

Still warm here but that cool weather up north is headed our way. Should be nice for the weekend.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9657043

Still 90's here
Dry gulch .

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9657226

Currently 72F here

A repeat of what I posted before but what I've left here is today :o) :

Saskatchewan Weather Report

A sky so clear
the sun shone till Sunday
and back again
before closing its eyes.

A day so fine
the afternoon dug in
its heels, refused
to follow the morning.

A love so rare
even June
blushed
at the thought.

From
The Horse Knows the Way. Poems by Dave Margoshes

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9657463

Not quite as hot but still hot today. Start cooling down tomorrow til we are in the 70s for a few days. Yipeeee!!!!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

September 11, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9657517

Aloha Juhur7

One more to add to your list - VOG - volcanic smoke or smog from our volcano. Makes Kailua Kona hazy most of the time and with southerly winds we get VOG thick enough for headlights in places, breathing probems and sulphur smell. Plants turn yellow in severe cases.
southgal

September 11, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9657555

Tonight is in the 70's and for tomorrow in the upper 90's.

Still DRY,DRY,DRY!!!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9657600

and overnight a low of +2C is forecasted for low lying places...our farm should be around +6C
(our crop is too far along now to be hurt)

A night so cold
the curve of the moon
froze to the tip
of the wind's tongue.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 12, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9658056

41F was our low today
77F right now at 2:06pm
southgal

September 12, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9658197

Another dry,hot and humid day,reaching nearly 100.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9658263

70 's rain this morning ,
NICE DAY !!:-)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9658272

We had enough rain this morning to slightly wet things down but not curb the road dust. Temps reached low 80s with low humidity.

News said tonight we are an inch behind for the month on rain and 5 inches for the year.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9658731

Oohh, Lily,

That last verse was so deliciously descriptive. I could almost see it.

----------------

Seems marginally cooler here today. It's 85F right now. Warmer if you factor in the humidity which is always high around here. I notice that the A/C is not running endlessly today as it has been every day since somewhere back around April or May. That alone is an improvement.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9658736

Much cooler. Still only 69° at this hour. Low humidity. Feels more and more like fall in the air. :)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9658815

63 degrees , 68 later , 40 for tonight ,
Quick cool , feels like a fridge after 90's
Cloudy , 42%humidity , strong 11 mph wind makes it cooler still ,
AS above a Fall type day .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9658842

Feels like Fall here, too... Glad to have a quilt to sleep under!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 13, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9658849

45º overnight. Now 65º.
Sunny. Lovely fall day!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9658858

They're calling for a high of 97F today. We have pretty boring weather reports much of the year.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9658862

It's now 90F here, not so cool after all. With the humidity factored in, that's probably 95 to 100. The A/C kicked on about 10min or so after my last post and has been on pretty much ever since.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9659162

Currently 74 and will get down to low 50s tonight.

Was nice and cool this morning!! I had to wear jeans and a hoodie to stay warm and somewhat dry while I was watering at work. lol. I get wet in this weather, I'll get cold fast!!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9659357

High today 88F / 31C with a feels like of 93/34.

A day so hot
the goldfish bubbled
in the bowl and offered
up fish and chips.

It is also speeding along the ripening of our crops for which all are eternally grateful!

I will be so glad when all is off and I can hope for fall rains...the air here is so dry and our skin is crying in pain.

southgal

September 14, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9659860

Today has been a very nice day outside.Not to hot!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9659957

Currently 76. Didn't get much warmer than that today. Felt great!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 14, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9659984

Finally started raining. Been very dry here.
61º

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 14, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9660014

72ºF was our high

We are being spoiled rotten this year...Europe and the U.K. are colder than us! :D

I asked them if they wanted to take on our winter as well...

still waiting for a reply.

*sigh*

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2013
12:22 AM

Post #9660204

Sunny and cool, cool, cool. Humidity very low. Stupendous weather. The first totally fall-like day. I love it. :)

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2013
3:03 AM

Post #9660240

It's still hot as Hades here, but we have managed to get our overnight low down into the 70's. I went out around 2AM (dog emergency) and the air outside felt wonderful. That's a good sign, I think. Now if we could just get the afternoon high down to 80ish, I would be happy.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 15, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9660249

It might just come since @ 3:30 am we were at 1ºC / 33.8ºF

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 15, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9660309

Rain gauge showed 1". We really needed it.
Now overcast & 56º.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9660402

At the risk of boring you - they are calling for a high of 100F today.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9660426

we were at 43 this morning
57 now 70's today .
Sunny

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9660469

LilyPon: Way to go. Keep up the good work up there. Momma needs to see some 80's (F)! Or 70's even.

Kelli: Looks like you could just report your weather with a set of ditto marks.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 15, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9660493

LOL...well we don't want to make you too happy just yet DreamsofSpring.

Currently 14C

my farmer had this to say about last night (I had warned him about us possibly getting more rain than is currently forecasted).

got your email on the combine last night doing Sec** by G***s. Durum going well. We have done about 200 acres and have just under 10,000 bu.
Hopefully Wednesday isn’t too bad.
M
PS – seems like there was a slight slight frost last night – wouldn’t do any damage though.

God and Mother Nature willing our durum will be off prior to the rains coming.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9660812

Currently 83 and spotty showers. Got 3 hydrangas planted just before the rains hit this morning. Perfect timing!!!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

September 15, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9661003

Still no weather. Same as before. (see Sept 2nd) Drier than anticipated. Too hot. Having to water outside pots. The whole neighborhood has their grass cutting up to date.
Forecast is the same for the next week.
southgal

September 16, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9661314

We have not got a good rain in months here.Who ever is hogging the rain send it here.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 16, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9661351

No rain here, of course, which is normal for this time of the year. They are calling for a high of 97F.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9661494

61 degrees and cloudy now
50 this morning
70/44 The forecast
it rained last night. off and on about four hours worth .
Cool windy day 11 to 15 mph . Makes it feel almost cold ..
It's Fall here .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9661506

We had a couple of cool nights that had me turn on the heat in the house... although it's slightly warmer now, still running the heat at night. Outside it's about 70º now but overcast and feels cooler.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9661853

Currently 61 and our high was supposed to be around 70 today. I don't know if we reached it or not. It has been chilly all day and wet. Had some rain overnight and this morning along with some strong winds.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2013
12:07 AM

Post #9662014

81F feels like 86 was our high today

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2013
2:03 AM

Post #9662037

Warming up into the 80s again after a cool spell. One last gasp for summer. :(
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 17, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9662234

It was 59F at 7AM. They are calling for a high of 91F.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9662251

at 9:36 am

70F feels like 73

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9662254

Cogratulations Kelli!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9662267

We've been having some comments on a Coffee thread about how early field mice are coming indoors this year. Generally it indicates a long, cold winter. Fortunately we all have cats, or dogs that will hunt them down.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9662551

Nice comfy 70's here , '
partly cloudy
8 mph wind
72 now
50'S TONIGHT
40's , 50's are cool nights and mornings
Still better than 80 degree nights even if a little cool.

Thumbnail by juhur7

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9662732

About the same as Ju here. We reached mid 70s today with rain all morning and into afternoon.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9662752

Except you got the Rain!!! lol
southgal

September 18, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9662996

For today high mid 90's and for tonight Mid 70's.Another hot and dry day and night.
WHERE IS THE RAIN!!!!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9663217

It is only 77F right now! Yay!
Also noted yesterday that the late afternoon early evening time slot is now very nice, cool, 70ish.
The rains have also slowed down now so that for the past week they haven't been daily, and the sun has been showing up again some days. The low pressure system that was causing the daily rains is still around but appears to have dropped down a bit so that it is no longer directly over us.

As to any issues with mice or rats, I had a problem outside some years back as a result of all of the sunflower seeds I was putting out daily to feed the birds back then. I live adjacent to the forest, so the critters heard the dinner bell and came running. One day I looked outside to see a rat sitting on the bird feeder happily gobbling up food. Eeek! As much as I hated it, I stopped feeding the birds. In my area, I suspect they can find ample, natural food anyhow.

Some 3-4yrs ago I took in a semi-feral cat and her very feral kitten (now grown). They are mostly outdoor coming in only briefly to eat except during bad weather when they may stay a little longer. Having survived on her own for years, the female is an excellent & accomplished huntress, a skill she taught to her then young son. They quickly ate every rat that dared come anywhere near my yard or even my neighbors' yards, & I've no doubt they would be thrilled if any field mice decide to make a run for the house this fall.

They also dug up and killed every ground mole in the yard, leaving as many as 3 per day at my front door. Haven't seen any sign of mice, rats, or ground moles in years. (When I 1st 'adopted' her, the female actually even caught a squirrel and dragged it to my door for a thank-you gift. She is one fierce predator, so mice/rats don't stand a chance here anymore.)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9663225

I wish my cat would get outside more and take care of the underground rodents that eat my root veggies, but she's afraid of my sister's dog who always chases her. She used to love being outside during the daytime in good weather, before the DOG came!

WHY do our cats always bring us trophies?

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9663255

A friend in animal control told me my then newly acquired, semi-feral cat was bringing me food (no doubt after she was full) to show me that she would be good to have around. Since she had previously lived on her own for years, that made a lot of sense to me. It was like she was saying, "We could make a good team, you and I." My guess is that 'normal' cats bring their catch home to show us in much the same vane as fishermen & hunters who post pictures of their kills; being well fed most pet cats are not that hungry anyhow and probably only catch critters for their amusement anyhow.

My 2 cats are not 'normal' pets. It has taken me years to establish any kind of relationship with them and they are still terrified of everyone else. Having survived in the wild, they don't scare easily. The female will actually growl at raccoons that come in our yard - and most of the raccoons are actually scared of her. She sits on the patio in the evenings to keep the raccoons away. The raccoons do come around but only after the cat comes indoors to eat, and when she sees them out there she demands to go out again so she can chase them away. I have also watched her chase snakes out off the yard. She is something else, that one.

If she is any example, I think feral cats might be good to have around, especially for those who have large plots of land. Problem is, I'm not sure where one gets a feral cat. Mine just happened to show up at my door one night, 1/2 grown kitten at her side, looking a bit thin, and having the chutzpah to hiss at me when I stepped outside. I cage trapped the 2 of them to get them spayed/neutered and vet checked (shots, etc), all of which had to be done under anesthesia as neither could be handled. Then I returned them to my yard and started feeding them daily.

(Sorry, darius. Did not mean to change thread subject. Will now resume weather discussions promptly.)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9663550

Hot and humid. Will be even worse tomorrow.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2013
12:20 AM

Post #9663697

Pleasant. Rain expected tomorrow night.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2013
12:23 AM

Post #9663700

68F right now (3AM).
Still a bit hot in mid afternoon but definitely heading in the right direction.
(Thank you, Lily!)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2013
2:18 AM

Post #9663715

Loud thunder and lots of lightning ,
Raining steady and hard .
66 degrees
Visibility 1 mi.
94 % humidity
wind 10 mi with gusts .
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 19, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9663944

They're calling for a high of 88F today.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9663960

It's cloudy here today, but I'm happy anyhow because it is currently only 76F. Yay!
Our projected high today is 85F. At 8AM this morning when I opened the door to let the cat in, the air outside was 'nippy'. Not cold but just with a hint of chill. It was nice.

Kelli: It sounds like your weather has improved a lot. It wasn't that long ago that you were reporting triple digits. Congrats. I'm happy for you & hope it drops even lower soon.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9664090

Still raining here now , it has not quit since last night ,
72 degrees
83 was forecast for today's high , no chance of that here now .
Heavy fall , summer humid feel to the air , light breeze makes it wonderful .

My plants are not baking anymore :-)
southgal

September 19, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9664203

Very hot and dry,in the upper 90's.
southgal

September 19, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9664423

Oh my!!Am i dreaming,someone pinch me.It is raining!!!!

This message was edited Sep 19, 2013 8:30 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2013

Post #9664433

We were in the lower 90s for a high today with sunshine. Now we have a storm coming in with strong winds and colder temps. Our highs tomorrow will barely crack 70.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2013
11:32 PM

Post #9664660

Your very welcome DreamsofSpring...wish we were as happy *sigh*

My weather app is currently flashing a nasty white lightning bolt surrounded by red...

FROST WARNING Temperature currently +2 (at Canadian Forces Base Moose Jaw).

It won't freeze at my house but I've hauled all my tropical plants into the greenhouse and turned the heater on and covered my annuals...we have a number of weeks of nice weather in our future and I plan on still having my plants to enjoy (not often warm evenings continue after frost).

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9665196

Geez...talk about up and down weather reports...reminds me of that song, "It's like a YO-YO"

Was 69° this morning...felt good. Up to 88 today.
southgal

September 20, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9665249

It is still raining and it is great.In the high upper 70's to low 80's.It can't get any better then this!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9665261

Raining and 70's here..
humid , light breeze . warmth of summer with a hint of fall in the air ..

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9665294

southgal, I'm so happy that you finally got rain. I could just hear the joy in your earlier post, & it's there still. Happy to celebrate with you.

Lilypon, Sorry you are having bad weather. It sounds like you are at least well prepared & have a good plan for dealing with the cold. I had actually begun to think that you rather appreciated if not even enjoyed the cold weather. It does have a certain icy beauty, if one can get past the chill - and the price, as I'm guessing it must cost an arm & 2 legs to stay warm at your latitude. Or maybe, as with handling snow, you folks just have secrets for staying warm, things we don't know about down here.

We had a lovely, sunny day today, upper 80's F, but that's not too bad. I believe the weather guy has forecast more rain & possibly tstorms for us this weekend.
southgal

September 20, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9665361

Thanks DreamofSpring!!Yeah it has been raining since last night.We really needed it.I hope it keeps on raining through the night as well.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9665374

We had a lot of needed soft rain all day yesterday... it has probably spurred my summer squash into more production!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2013

Post #9665513

Strong storms last night with about an inch to two inches of rain.

Today it was cloudy and windy this morning but cleared and calmed down this afternoon. Temps only reached mid 60s for high.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9667019

Happy Fall Ya All! A cold front coming down, supposed to rain good later on, but still hot now, too bad it is going to stall out over us. So no fall weather here just yet. 88° the predicted high today.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9667073

It rained 6" here yesterday. Down into the 50s last night and cool today. But sunny. Lovely.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9667101

46 degrees this morning .
Same 41 and possible frost forecast tomorrow morning ,
early for that as of yet .
Nice sunny day , Happy first day of Fall to all of you here also ..

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

September 22, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9667252

No change in the weather here. A few more showers at night. Ground is now damp, not dusty dry and not muddy. Just right. Forecast for the next week is more of the same - light tradewind breezes, some showers, some cloud, around 80f during the day, high 60's at night. Just the right weather for gardening.
Trimmed the gingers this morning. May clean some more ponds this afternoon. 31 ponds around the garden and forest trails. Plenty of surface weed to dredge out so we can see the water and plenty of trimming and thinning needed of pond side plants. Plenty of bullfrogs.
Must stop chatting as this is not my blog.

Thumbnail by microb

southgal

September 22, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9667271

The weather was lovely today.High only in the upper 70's.This morning was cool,went around turning off fans.LOL!!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 22, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9667323

Sunny, windy, high of 75º.
Real nice fall day.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9667327

All the indications around here are for a hard, cold, dismal winter. We haven't had one in a few years.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9667336

made it to 72
66 now

Winter is winter to me ; it is always too darn cold !!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 22, 2013

Post #9667353

Was at least 56F this morning. They were calling for a high of 81F but I think it got a little hotter than that.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9667452

Low 80s for high today. Sunny and had a breeze. Felt good in the shade but a little warm in the sun. lol
southgal

September 23, 2013

Post #9668329

Today was in the high 80's to low 90's.Tonight will be in the 60's.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9668333

Mid 70s, sunshine and a stiff breeze. Pretty much a perfect day.
southgal

September 25, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9670247

This morning was in the low 60's.Today was in the low 90's.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9670248

High 70s with dense fog til late morning. Then the sun came out and made a perfect day!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 25, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9670348

Low 55º, High of 84º.
Sunny & pleasant today.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2013
9:25 PM

Post #9670400

Low 54°, High 79° - partly cloudy in the morning, sunny in the afternoon, very pleasant.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9670476

darius,

I can see that you are primarily interested in the forecast for winter. I just don't have any idea how to answer that question. Heck, even trained meteorologists with access to satellite data cannot reliably predict the weather beyond a few days. (I'm curious how Almanacs do it.)

For example, living here on the coast, hurricanes are my biggest weather worry. Early each summer I listen with trepidation for the official prediction of hurricane season severity for the Atlantic, information that comes from the top minds in the field - and almost every year they get it totally wrong. Several times in recent years they predicted a very active hurricane season, and we actually had virtually no activity at all. Then one year they predicted very little activity, and we went on to have one of the most active years ever. Statistically speaking, they would get better results if they just flipped a coin.

I'm curious. Is your prediction of a severe winter based on specific signs, or is it just a 'feeling'? I don't devalue information that is based on 'just a feeling', btw, since that is basically how the right brain communicates information. Right brain information is equally valid, even if our left-brain dominant society often fails to realize it.

Ok, I decided to go with the coin flip method. My coin predicted a mild winter. I'm not sure if that's countrywide or specific to my area though.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9670569

Partly "feeling" and partly signs the old-timers around here notice.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9670573

Currently 46F and heading up to a toasty 50F (under heavy cloud cover)

Lots and lots of rain in forecast (praying it doesn't pan out).

Have a couple of mets now on my FB page. I keep telling the one in Montana to take his rain and send it elsewhere (preferably to the met in Grand Forks, ND who hasn't seen rain for months).

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9670576

oh and the SE corner of SK had frost warnings up last night so am betting lots of folks will be getting rain or cooler temps now.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9670759

"Lilypon, Sorry you are having bad weather. It sounds like you are at least well prepared & have a good plan for dealing with the cold. I had actually begun to think that you rather appreciated if not even enjoyed the cold weather. It does have a certain icy beauty, if one can get past the chill - and the price, as I'm guessing it must cost an arm & 2 legs to stay warm at your latitude. Or maybe, as with handling snow, you folks just have secrets for staying warm, things we don't know about down here."

I thoroughly dislike the unknown re Old Man Winters nasty surprises/gifts (haha) DreamsOfSpring...I dread winters in the -60'sF / -50'sC and I dread winters with lots of snow that sticks and blows around forever. I don't mind winters in the -20's/-30's with some snow/cold but the extremes are not on my fave list. We certainly can deal with the above but when it lasts for months on end ie Oct to May (worst case) my teeth are ready to snap with impatience re spring ever coming.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9671134

People around here are stocking up on snowblowers right now. Getting ready in case we have blizzards again.

We got hot today. 85 for a high with a decent breeze.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9671140

It got to 82 and sunny all day , cooler now 62 and 49 for tonight ?
I will "rue" the coming cold

Thumbnail by juhur7

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9671181

I think it was in the 90's today, supposed to be 91 tomorrow and then a cold front is coming in.

It is supposed to be in the 80's next week...finally! It's almost October for Heaven's sakes!

We saw a baby hummingbird today on our patio! Soooooo cute!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 27, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9671442

Mild Santa Ana-ish winds this morning. They are calling for a high of 88F.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9671857

High around 87 today. Not much breeze here so we are feeling the heat. Humidity is up too since we have storms on the way in the morning.
southgal

September 27, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9671940

Today was another cool morning,with it turning out to be a hot day.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9672246

53F this morning, calling for a high of 88F, not unlike southgal except we won't have the humidity.
southgal

September 28, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9672283

This morning was in the 60's.Today is going to be in the low to mid 90's for the high.Its going to be another hot one.My a/c has been running day and night.I am so ready for the fall weather to start kicking in.

Kelli i would be happy with your weather.
I am just ready for this 90 degree crap to move on.LOL!!!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2013 10:25 AM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9672633

We barely reached 70 today, had rain off and on all day and am now at 62. Will get down to 40s. Guess it's time to start cleaning up my tenders. lol
southgal

September 28, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9672686

The Skeeters was bad today outside.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9672689

Mosquito followed me indoors a while ago this evening , I had to wash my hands ) Splat I got it !!! Bloodsucker!!!
81 Now mid 80"s for a high today , 60's for tonight ,
Nice day ...
southgal

September 28, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9672723

Lol!!! I got bit about 15 times today.Me and my son could not even enjoy the day outside today.I hate them blood suckers too.I was slapping left and right.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9672760

( goodness ----------) I hate those things !!! Agree '

Are orange Dahlia really rare ? Anyone ?

Thumbnail by juhur7

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 29, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9673081

We are at 45º this morning.
Not a skeeter in site, actually we haven't had any for a few years now.
This is soybean country, with soybean aphids. They are sprayed in
August. The spray also kills all flies & mosquitoes.
No black flies in spring either.

High today should be near 70º.
Sunny.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 29, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9673144

uh oh...

Massive increase in Siberian snow cover.
http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/i...ims2013270.gif
http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/i...ims2013271.gif

Looks to be above average. I think if this continues to build like this it might get extremely cold over Siberia, it is very cold there right now for this time of the year.

:'(

*sigh*

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9673299

Well we can all get together as a tourist group , to study ice ,and build Igloo forts . lol

63 F, Degrees Steady rain here now , cool day .
50 -51 for tonight?
southgal

September 29, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9673431

It has been raining on and off since last night.It is still cloudy.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9673563

Heavy fog til about 10am this morning and a high around 72 with sunshine and no bugs around the house. lol.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2013
10:32 PM

Post #9673796

58 and steady at this hour , heavy fog here ,
Light steady mist type rain falling .
(England swings like a pendulum dew ) lol

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 30, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9673906

56º sunny, breezy.
No fall color yet.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 30, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9674004

At this point they are calling for Santa Ana winds and 95F later this week. Today they are calling for 86F.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9674548

High 70s and sunny today. Lots of people taking advantage and getting stuff done.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

September 30, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9674571

Finally getting some change. More frequent night showers starting late afternoon and continuing into commute hours. Temperatures are cooler. Those really hot days have gone. Mid 70s. Saturday did not get above 68f. Low 60s at night. Just how we like it. Some mud spots showing up on the forest trails so I think we can say we trending towards are rainy season.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9674590

Wow!!! I was thinking a little cooler than pepper here , Only to read we are having weather just the same as Hawaii ... C-o-o-L !!!:-) (well ,, close anyway (lol
Yes it's nice here after yesterdays rain
65 F here now 58 or so for tonight ...

This message was edited Sep 30, 2013 10:00 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9674591

I'm still at 70 here. lol
southgal

September 30, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9674594

It is 77 now here.Muggy and Hot!!!!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9674610

Bees, Yellow Jackets kept me in all summer. Worst year for bees in a long time. You folks that have had hot weather, be glad at least you had something to show for it. Country Gardens it appears that you all have had a very productive year. Wish I could have had a quarter of what you did.

Wish for a cold winter to kill all the bugs and flu bugs too.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9675455

Low 80s for high with a light breeze. Felt good in the shade, a triffle too warm in the sun. But considering that this weekend will barely reach 60 I'll take it for now.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 1, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9675522

Another wonderful day in paradise!
Farmers are busy harvesting beans & corn. Another bumper crop.
This happens year after year around here.
We are so lucky for the weather we have. Always works out just right!
78º today, sunny & breezy.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9675533

Don't understand it. You are zone 4, and I am 5, and you are running 78 degrees and we are in the low 50s every day and mid 30s at night. So cold. We are 15 degrees below normal.

I have tomatoes, huge tomatoes, and they are ripening very slowly, but do not have the flavor of ripening in the sun. We cover them at night and remove it during day. Will leave them until they freeze. If I had enough at the same time I would roast them.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9675534

I don't know for sure about the crops
but much the same a CG here ..

Beautiful Fall Day - Absolutely Gorgeous !!!:-)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2013
10:25 PM

Post #9675605

Quit boasting JU. LOL. Sorry, I just hate to think about winter coming on so soon. Seems like this summer has been so short and nothing to it. Guess because I couldn't get outside. Even the bees kept me in. Oh well, next year might be different. Hope to get out of here by then.

Got an early appointment with the physical therapist. 'nite JU. (grin) Jen

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2013
3:49 AM

Post #9675680

Showers, possible storms later in the day, warm - in the 80s.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 2, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9675763

October Weather.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1336289/
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9676286

JU, did I hurt your feelings? I hope not. You know I was just teasing you. Don't go away mad.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9676291

Update the thread Jen . Lol . Busy through sleeping , not mad , not much to say either ..
How's therapy ?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2013
10:17 PM

Post #9676537

Glad you weren't upset. Sometimes I say things I shouldn't.

Yeah therapy was ok. Nice to get thru it but got exercises to do at home. yuck. I am not an exercise person. Wears me out and I have so much to do..

Going to read and go to bed. jen

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 3, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9676650

Go to the new weather thread.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2014
2:24 PM

Post #9772511

After taking some time to weigh all of the issues carefully, I've concluded that it's going to be a very cold winter. ;-)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2014
2:31 PM

Post #9772516

HA ,HA, HA,HA , LOL !!! ROFL !!! .. :-)

I will approach that apprehensively and slowly ,,, and say you might be right ,, lol :-)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 19, 2014
3:04 PM

Post #9772533

It depends on where you are. Here it has been a very, very, very long fall. We are still stuck in October weather.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2014
3:38 PM

Post #9772541

Lucky you, Kell!

That is what our winters are supposed to be like, but this year, while we have had lots of warm days (like today when it's 80F here), we have also had 2 record breaking ice/sleet events, as well. Except for the possible drought, I would very much like to have your weather.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2014
3:40 PM

Post #9772542

juhur7,

I did realize the risk I was taking in making such a bold prediction but decided to throw caution to the wind and just go with it. ;-)

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2014
3:45 PM

Post #9772544

darius,

Has it been cold enough so far where you are? I think maybe the weather 'experts' need to get together with those 'old-timer' you spoke of earlier, the ones who predicted a cold winter back when the weather folks still had large areas such as the SE carved off and labelled with a winter prediction of 'warmer than usual'. Yeah, that (warmer than usual) didn't happen.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2014
4:07 PM

Post #9772555

Too Long! And we did not get it snow...just wet and COLD.

However, it was 80 yesterday and equally as beautifully today! I guess I can uncover my plants now before the suffocate!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2014
6:12 PM

Post #9772626

Currently 43 and wet. Had some nice storms roll in tonight. More expected thru the night.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

February 23, 2014
8:45 PM

Post #9775368

Currently @ -24C heading down to -30C

Windchills in the -40's (F or C)

Texas and many other normally warm areas I'm sure will need to cover their plants soon.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2014
6:14 PM

Post #9776068

High around 36 and cloudy all day. Will be cold all week with several chances of flurries leading up to bigger snow this weekend.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2014
1:15 PM

Post #9776585

It's 77F here today, a beautiful, warm, springlike day with bright sunshine and a clear, azure sky. The past several days have been much the same. Feels like spring is here, and right on time, as spring usually starts here around mid Feb. My daffodils have been blooming for about a week now as has the yellow jessamine. Very gorgeous day.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2014
10:07 PM

Post #9833822

What I think is ironic is that our dear Darius passed away on the last day of winter, 2014. Perhaps she knew more than we knew. Rest in sweet peace, dear friend.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 9, 2014
7:12 AM

Post #9834003

They say there is a 78% chance of an El Nino this winter. I'm hoping. It's been so dry the past couple years. I just hope DH has the living room window sealed correctly. We have problems with it leaking.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America