Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Trees from rooted cuttings

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rootedcuttings
Festus, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9641773

I have a Globe Willow that I started some rooted cuttings from this summer. They are each in a three gallon pot and have grown to about 4 feet tall with the trunk about the size of a pencil. My question is what is the best way to keep them going if I don't put them in the ground this year ? Should they be brought inside for the winter ?
Bigger pots for the roots to expand ? Any advice would be appreciated.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 29, 2013
12:06 AM

Post #9644453

IF the parent plants were able to live outside for winter then the off spring whould do also, just give them a sheltered area, well out of frost pockets and make sure they get some water IF growing under an overhang.
I would NOT repot them till spring has sprung and they are ready to be set out in a more open area, the garden would be fine in spring time when the soil is warming up, just make sure you still water them if you plant outside, also they may require some form of stake to help support the trunks IF you get windy weather as wind will rock the top growth and also cause the roots to loosen by rocking about.
IF planting outside in garden, make sure you prepare the planting holes well by adding plenty humus to the hole and the top soil as you refill the planting hole. I stick a clear plastic juice container with the bottom and top removed, place the neck end into the planting hole and about an inch out of the soil at the top, then back fill the hole, as you water, fill the container up a couple of times, this allows the water get right down to the roots where it is most needed.
Best Of Luck. WeeNel.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9646297

Roots in containers will get colder than roots of established plants in the ground, so I would put these in a cold enough area for them to go properly dormant, but probably not leave them unprotected outside. If that is the only option, then insulate the containers. One way to do this is to build a box around them (simple, no matter if it falls apart in 6 months) and fill the box with soil, dpol conditioner, or finished compost. Not stuff that is still composting. Perhaps wood chips or dry leaves if they are fairly compact. Too loose (like just raked leaves) is not enough insulation. A mix of these materials is OK, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America