Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: New New-bee thread!! Come on in!!

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 153, Views: 1,215
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9642667

In case you don't know or have forgotten I am prone to typos and occasional ...um ...forgetting...(just in case the Kelly Twins are watching) I havent made a thread in over a year so I am rusty. Patience and pre-forgiveness...and on we will go!!
"Beginning"
Noun
"The point in time or space at which something starts."

Postage Plunders
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286269/

Iris Draw for the New Bees is here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294140/

The Iris Draw deadline is the first day of spring!!
Spring is on Wednesday, 20 March 2013

As far as I can tell...We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1111944/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293657/
new thread #2
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/gardentalk/all/

Chat Thread here also lots of new and old Newbees...be sure to stop in and introduce your self...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152857/

K here we are!! This thread is for Newbie information and questions, No scrambles on this thread...

To get your free seeds

Be Sure to put your dmail name and a note of wants in your envie, along with return name and address
Address exchange is here http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/
You have to add your information to be able to access everyone else's

Please feel free to Dmail me with questions
Many of us "oldies" and some Newbies would like to share our seeds with those of you new to Dave's. By new, we mean you joined in the last 8 months(or so) and are a paying member.
Send me a SASBE (Self addressed, stamped bubble envelope) and we'll send you 10 packets of seeds. (Usually more, depends on our stash) That's all there is to it. Let us know you are sending your envy. Just Dmail me with sent envie today in the subject. You will get a good variety of good seeds.

If you can, stick a note in your envy and tell me they types of things you like. Veggies and Flowers, some seeds you are looking for, stuff like that. It will help me fill your envy. I can't always get just what you ask for, but will try.

Postage keeps going up so now we need five usually,

Send 5 stamps and an address label with your name on it.
4 of the stamps will go back on your return envy, the extra will go into the "pot" I don't use it for personal use, but it helps when some mail comes with postage due and when the "oldies" send boxes of seeds sometimes there is postage due.
Best thing to do is just send me an empty bubble envy with your label and stamps inside. I can use that same envy to send your seeds back. Saves that envy!!
Also, if you will scotch tape the envy to send to me, I can use the self adhesive and won't destroy your envy pulling them open when I get them.
Please make sure you put enough stamps on your envelope you send to me. An empty bubble envy is at least 84 cents, so two stamps. If you are sending seeds, it's more of course.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR D MAIL NAME WITH YOUR ENVY.

I am in the address exchange, so you know where to send the envy. If you can't find it, just d mail and I'll shoot it right to you. At the top of your home page, you'll see the link "EXTRA'S" ,Go into that link, scroll down and you'll see the address exchange this goes to the exchange http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/ you have to add yourself to the exchange then you can get my address.

Oldies!
If you would like to donate seeds, it would be great.!! I know how much I loved it when I was new and someone sent me seeds to get me started. Now I want to pay it forward and maybe you would too.

For those of you who would like to help the newbies, but just don't have a lot of seed, if you would like to trade for seeds, that is great as well. Send seeds for the newbies and I will send you the same amount back. Put a note in with your DG name and let me know what you are looking for also.
Happy Gardening Everyone,
Robin

* I try to give you what you put in your note of wants. The seeds for the newbees are donated by gardeners all over the world. I can not promise you will get what you ask for. You will get a great envie of seed!! Robin

If you are Zone 8 or above please send donations and requests to Rising Creek.
You will find her here http://davesgarden.com/members/risingcreek/

If you are zone 7 and Below please send donations and request to me here
http://davesgarden.com/members/arejay59/

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297842/#ixzz2dB75HHxT

Thumbnail by arejay59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 27, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9642790

Thanks for starting the new thread Robin. How are the seeds going. I will have lots of 'Love Lies Bleeding'including 'Golden Grains' and 'Elephant Head' this fall and I am sure there will be lots of other stuff too. Mittsy's seeds look awesome!! I was drooling over them, especially the snaps.

I watched a beautiful big butterfly on the butterfly bush today-it was wonderful and funny. He tried to leave a number of times, he would get 12 to 15 feet away but would turn around and come back to it. This went on for a good 10 minutes.

Again , both me and my old computer thank-you for the new thread. Sandra
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 27, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9642846

Me again - when you said that you bring your fuchsia into the basement for the winter- do you let it dry out and go dormant until after Xmas,or do you keep watering and provide a light for it? More info please! and Thanks. Sandra
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9643467

Hi Again All: Just had to show ya'll my latest flower experiment. This is a Tithonia, sometimes called Mexican Sunflower. Quite common annual and reseeder in the southlands, but unusual here in New York. This plant is a real eye catcher in the garden! I had to start the seeds indoors with the tomatoes to transplant in mid-May. Plants are now 6' tall and covered in flowers. Appears to be an easy seed saver, I'll let you know later.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 27, 2013
11:25 PM

Post #9643501

Hi Al Great looking flower- Were they difficult to start from seeds and when you say you started them with the tomatoes-Are we talking February or March?Sandra
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2013
1:47 AM

Post #9643518

Nice! I collected pink striped Gazania seeds last winter from a lovely planting in Satellite Beach, started them here in May and they are blooming now. So unusual.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2013
2:21 AM

Post #9643528

Gazania is beautiful Mittsy!! I love your Mexican sunflower Al.They take such an awesome photo too!! Mexican hats do you grow those too Al?
You are welcome Sandy it was much needed I forget sometimes so just remind me to start a new one!! I watered my Fushia by the way all winter it looked pretty sad by the time I could take it out again but it did come back.They are perennial in the right zone and some species of them grow into shrubs and trees even. I do believe you can start them from cuttings also.

Thumbnail by arejay59

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2013
4:10 AM

Post #9643566

I can't believe it. Right after proclaiming that I have never had a reblooming iris ever bloom for me Cantina is going to make me a liar! I thought that it had some terrible deformity occuring and lo and behold it is a robust bloom stalk. Pictures will be forthcoming and we can all watch in anticipation of this magnificent "FIRST".
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9643656

Woo Cantina pretty!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9643730

Mexican Hats? We could be talking about the same thing with a different name...

Yes, I started the seeds inside around April 1st, we plant outside in mid to late May.

Al
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9643746

Cantina 1
Datura, not fragrant ?
Pink? Glad, I should have known buying from a discount store!

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9643801

Its a pretty glad though Mittsy I see some pink stripes in it!! Mexican hats are that color Al but they look more like a coneflower and the center stands taller even than that but it is the color orange and yellow or red and yellow. I cant seem to find the photo but I will!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 11, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9657195

Hi all - need info on collecting seeds. Know how to do easy ones like marigolds but not sure on some of the fancier stuff. Have osteospermum with the nice wine coloured or purple coloured daisy but don't know what is the seed. Also liatris (gayfeather) how do you take the seed without the fluff. I can grow but haven't a clue on some of these seeds and not embarassed to admit it . if you have any advice or know where to find this info, bring it on. Sandra
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2013
12:42 AM

Post #9658465

Good Morning Sandy!! WHat a great question!! I thinl you gave me an idea, I am not sure we ever posted directions to save seed on the thread!! You would think we would wouldn't you!! Let me see what I can come up with, if anyone has ideas jump in!! Maybe something like 12 everyday plants and show the way to collect dry , remove the chaff and store and label? Anyone in?

Thumbnail by arejay59   Thumbnail by arejay59         

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2013
2:49 AM

Post #9658501

I can do the annual Rocket Larkspur, if interested?
or Siberian iris.
mittsy

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9658989

Katlien wrote a great article with photos for making seed-cleaning sieves from PVC "DWV Sewer & Drain Adapters".

They look like nested funnels,and you put a piece of hardware cloth (wire mesh) in each one.

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/Katlian/10997/

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA      

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9659005

That is a great idea. I just use my kitchen strainer. I don't mind a little chaff, either.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9659007

Kitchen strainers and window screening are great.

Strainers are mostly either 18 mesh or 30 mesh.

I think most window screening is 24 mesh.

I got some 8 mesh fabric and put it in an embroidery hoop, which also works with window screening. But 8 mesh is really coarse.

For me the hardest part of seed saving is getting seeds ripe and dry before the rains start in the fall. I never get around to making tall hoop tunnels to keep rain off and warmth in.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9659020

I have a similar problem, leaving for our winter home before the seeds are ripe. I have been known to uproot huge MG plants and and load them in the car to dry during our travels.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9659119

Seeds that ripen and dry during the summer are so easy! I had some 'Minowase' Daikon radishes go to seed, and now they pop up here and there like pretty weeds. Man, can they grow in clay!

I let some radish "weeds" go too long and they formed pods. I uprooted them at that point and threw them to one side where they happened to be up off the ground. A month or two later I stuffed the stems and pods into a box, and the pods dropped some seeds. So I mashed them up with my hands, and got many fresh 'Minowase' Daikon radish seed with almost no effort..

They did all the work themselves, except that they didn't jump into a Ziplok for me and label themselves.

My Pacific Giant Delphinium was even easier to save seeds from. I just didn't cut all the flower spikes, then ignored them until the pods rattled when I brushed against them. (It didn't rain at that time of year.) Then I put a big cardboard box to one side of the plant and leaned the stalks over to pour the seeds into the box. All done.

Also got seeds from some dusky chocolate-puprle Columbine (A. vulgaris, probably originally Burpee's Harlequin Mix. But for those, I had to cut the well-dried heads off, shake them in a plastic tub, and separate from the chaff.

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9659127

I have some four O'clocks, i just pick them right into a box and let them dry before putting into plastic sleeves... I have a yellow and a pink, if anyone is interested>>>
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2013
1:46 AM

Post #9659420

Oh!! Wonderful everyone this is great the ideas are wonderful!!

Mittsy!!! "I have been known to uproot huge MG plants and and load them in the car to dry during our travels.: Lolololol You are the best Mittsy!!

Did that help Sanra?

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9659561

Now that the Fall season seems to be in full bloom, we're all getting into the seed saving mood. I think I'm going to wait another couple of weeks to get the flowering seed pods a little more dried out before I pick them off, hopefully before the local flock of birds discovers them.
This year I have tons of marigolds, zinnias, sunflowers, cosmos, coneflowers, susans, and likely my new tithonia.

Is our newbie seed stash still active? If so, do they still need donations and where to send?

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 14, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9659583

Hi all--lol yes this helps a lot. Please keep them coming. Mittsy your MG -where is the seed. I have one- Star of yelta (I think) but it just started blooming about 2 weeks ago. How long does it take to form seed and are they a good size-so I won't be able to miss them if they form fast enough? This one was given to me already started,so I don't know how big the seed was. I love them so if you have a lot of seeds- I can pay postage (hint hint). Charleen are your 4 o'clocks solid colours- if so I have some 2-tone -pink with yellow splashes or yellow with pink splashes(not as much on the yellow), and I am looking for the hot pink ones also. Want to trade. Rick - that screening idea is great, along with the sieves and strainers. Do you winter sow your delphiniums or start right in the ground. They don't like to be moved right? Al, the zinnia seeds are the dried out flower heads?I have a few zinnias also from a friend, so I'm not sure what the seed is. When you say you are going to leave them a while longer- how long do they need? Does the flower head have to be super dried up when you pick it and does it hurt them to be touched by frost. We have already had frost on the roof tops, so I don't know if I will have long enough to gather seeds. Everybody is doing great, please keep the ideas coming. Sandra
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9659657

Al, yes the newbie seed thread is alive and active. Arejay59 (Robin) is back in charge of the eastern section of the country. It's been split up as it is too much to do the whole country by just one person. She can give more info next time she jumps on. Donations are always . welcome.

As are prizes for contests, we do love to have our fun. And gifts, too. I must publicly state I love my 3 diamond bracelets from Mitt.
Sandra I'll post pictures of the MG seed pods and seeds. These were planted very late and took forever to get going but the blooms were bright fuschia so I thought I should keep them. Only two seeds to a pod, I usually get four or more smaller seeds, but I am not an expert on MGs. I'll check the compost heap and see if I can find any of the Star of Yelta or Grandpa Ott, yes I got some. For comparison purposes I used a penny for size. The larger seeds are from the fuschia MG. I hope this help you. Frost won't hurt your zinnia seeds.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy         

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2013
10:46 AM

Post #9659728

I didnt get any diamond bracelets...
Fushia Hmm someone just asked me for those I guess I better look in that envelope you sent me Mittsy!! Al I am heading to read your post. I guess I overlooked it sorry!! This is great all this information thank you!! Sandra you will be an expert and an addict of the seeds in no time!!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9659766

Sorry about that, guess Mitt didn't know you needed diamond bracelets! I felt really, really bad when I lost mine.

I'm going through my MG seeds and will send some to Sandra. You do remember the Mittsy's mailbox mix, don't you. I must have collected several thousand seeds. I'm still getting volunteers each year around the mailbox. Sometimes it's hard to even see the mailbox! I picked a bouquet to show you what they look like this year from the volunteers I missed last year. One picture with flash one without.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy         

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9659794

Mittsy they are beautiful!! Yes I do remember your seeds!! I was teasing about the diamond bracelet I thought we might hear from Mit on that one!! Diamonds being a girls best friend and all. Im sorry you lost yours, I lost a ruby bracelet once.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9659853

Just to clarify, I've never had a diamond bracelet (cubic Zirconia, rhinestone or otherwise) I was referring to the TB iris.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9659865

rotfl. I was beginning to wonder about the diamond bracelets. Beautiful flowers, mittsy. :)
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 14, 2013
8:27 PM

Post #9660129

Mittsy those flowers are gorgeous. Those are the Grandpa Ott? When you say volunteers, do you mean these beauties will reseed themselves. Those pictures are worth a thousand words-now I know what to look for, but have no seeds forming yet. You said only 2 seeds in the fushia ones but 4 in the others and by your pictures they are a pretty good size, so I won't miss them. Good idea putting the penny in the picture. Sandra
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2013
12:24 AM

Post #9660205

They are NOT Grandpa Ott. The flowers were just picked off my mailbox, hence Mittsy's mailbox mix! I can never get all the seeds collected every year so I have volunteers come up and cover the mailbox.. They are all open pollinated, and are a mongrel mixture. Maybe I should start calling them Mittsy's Mongrel Mailbox Mix.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2013
12:36 AM

Post #9660208

Good one. :)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9660457

Love that name!! Mittsy's Mongrel Mailbox Mix. I don't have any diamonds Mittsy bt I do have some Hollyhocks that will have some seed!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9660539

Oh, that is a pretty one, is it short or tall? I have one that is almost black, it's a single and I kinda prefer the doubles. It's still blooming so guess I won't get any seeds before I leave, took some out of the freezer and put more in. Hard to keep them all separated and get them dry and give them the cold treatment. I wouldn't have noticed them at all but i went out to graze through the red raspberries.
Not as many as earlier but a welcome treat just the same. The grapes are just begging to be canned, but I think the birds will have to take them.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9660553

It's not as tall as I have seen but its the first year so we will see what next year brings! I will have some seed if you want some Mittsy. Anytime.I love mallows to I pulled mine up last year so just small ones this year now flowers and my Sylvestra Malva did I get that right just disappears I get maybe one every other year.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9660990

Getting back to Sandra's question - Yes, I like to pick off the seed heads when they are sort of a crispy brown color and nice and dry. Frost won't hurt them much, in fact will help in the drying process. It pays to wait a bit and not harvest them too soon when still green. My only exception to this rule is when the seeds are threatened by birds, then I bring the seeds inside to my screened porch to dry. The birds around here will outsmart me every time, and I stand to lose about everything!

Every variety is a little different, but you'll soon get the hang of it! Some would say it's kind of addicting. Seed pods are usually located somewhere near or under the flower part.

Zinnias are easier than some. The seed pod is a fingertip shaped bump in the middle hub of the blossom. I trim up the leftover dried petals with scissors to minimize chafe. The loosened seeds look like little arrowheads. I can't possibly sort out all of the excess chafe, but I plant them quite generously anyway.

By the way, the easiest way for me to plant a lot of these somewhat generic seeds is to use a square or rectangle pan with drainage holes in the bottom. Fill with potting soil, grow them out, then cut out the plant starts just like piece of cake or brownie.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2013
3:27 AM

Post #9661088

Great tips Al!!! Thank You.
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 16, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9661361

Al Great descriptions and tips -Without them I would have been planting flower chafe thinking it was part of the seed. Robin, great looking Hollyhock. Mittsy- "took some out of the freezer and put more in" "give them the cold treatment" do you put your seeds in the freezer for just a short time to stratify or to get rid of any bugs - do you do this for all seeds?Sandra
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9661493

I give the freezer treatment to Rose of Sharon seeds and to Hollyhock seeds to rid them of creepy crawlies. I use the refrigerator for cold treatment.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9661622

Has anyone else had a big surprise trying to mail a small padded bag to Canada? I asked for 3 day Priority and it would have been over $23.00. No way. I then asked for regular cheapest way and she said $6.55. I said that can't be right and she looks me right in the eyes and says, Well it is a foreign country! It's only Ontario, that's a lot closer than California and thats only a couple of dollars. My morning glory seeds are not worth $6.55. So sorry Sandra.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9661871

>> Rick - that screening idea is great, along with the sieves and strainers. Do you winter sow your delphiniums or start right in the ground. They don't like to be moved right?

I've always started Delphiniums indoors in cells, maybe just because I like to. I've learned that they need to be pretty big before I expose them to my slugs.

I originally started them inside without any stratification just because I didn't read the packet or didn't believe it. I still got enough germination.

Now I have so many seeds, I don't worry. Recently I got 20% germination with no stratification. I used to do it becuase I was dumb. Now I do it because I'm lazy.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9662112

Good morning!! Seeds went out yesterday...
Question...does anyone have Fushia seed? Fushia Magellanica that is?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9662458

4 o'clock seeds, I have pink and a yellow. I'll share. they fall off the plant. Very easy to grow...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9667896

I seem to have lost track of Amanda, I believe she was looking for milkweed seeds for some reason. Did she find them yet? I have plenty available!

A beautiful pinkish-purple plant in bloom, they attract all kinds of butterflies. Many birds enjoy the seeds. Our kids used to play with the little "parachutes" that came with the seeds, too. It's considered sort of a marsh or swamp weed around here.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9667975

lycodad -- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1218397/

fordpickup
Clinton, IN

November 10, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9705898

Arejay and Rising creek,
The offer is still here if it will help with your project. Just let me know.
Fred
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2013
12:29 AM

Post #9715396

Thank you Fred. Sorry I missed this until now!!
Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9722144

Happy Holidays everyone! Been off for awhile-grandma sick and life:)! Missed everyone-and had fun catching up! You all have been sooo busy! All the pictures are wonderful! Looking forward to the holidays and then spring here:). Happy Holidays-Just checking in:).
Picture of my African violet small rooted plants that survived me:). Happy Holidays:)!

Thumbnail by Bellsp

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2013
1:16 AM

Post #9722362

Hi Bells nice to see you. We are deep in cold and snow here. Just in case I don't get back before Christmas, Happy Holidays everyone!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

Bellsp
Warrington, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9722494

RJ-your yard is so beautiful in the winter:)! I miss seeing a little snow:(. Bundle up and hope you all enjoy friends and family and good health for the holidays:)!

Thumbnail by Bellsp   Thumbnail by Bellsp         

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9724985

Heigh Ho!

I don't know how I managed to "unwatch" the new bee thread. I have missed everybody - wanted to let you know that this fall's round robin participants want to donate what's leftover to the newbee stash.

Arejay - are you still holding the bag?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9724998

The pics , most of you have seen these ; the little baggie is chicory seeds , takes a while for being a weed ,doing these ,
The bags are
Autumn Clematis
Hibiscus
Liatris
ironweed
Marigolds Plant seeds like that , and so on ... pic of sprouts at the end , everyone says they are awful ,, okay,, I have radish haters , around here ..
I say their good , and I'm growing them , eating them ... yummy ...

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2013
2:56 AM

Post #9725150

Woo Hoo!! Yes Amanda I am thank you for thinking of us!! I will separate by zones and send RC's zones to her!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2013
2:58 AM

Post #9725151

Juhur that all looks wonderful to me!! I grew some radishes a couple of times this year. They all came from different bags. None were red. All where long and white. More like parsnips!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9725302

Well radishes are so fast to grow - I'd think we should all learn to like them.

My iguana likes parsnips, but I haven't bothered to experiment with them myself.

I managed to forget my dinosaur kale (lancinata sp.) seedlings overnight when the temps dipped low and now only have one tiny seedling. O the travesty!

Ju - are you planting out or on your windowsill or what? I have an exam tonight and then more physical aptitude stuff on the weekend then I'm done for the semester with fire drills. I can't get a rise out of my committee chair/advisor. He's too busy with those 19 year olds to bother with me. :D

Have a groovy day.
A.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9725303

Yeah, I've got some stuff to send too, but I have to get over this Christmas mess first. Good to hear from everyone! Have a great holiday.

Al

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9725314

Good luck with Christmas Al! Was thinking of you this morning with some milkweed pods outside that I have to shuck. ;)

I HAVE to shut this down now. But it IS good to see the newbee thread again.

Seeya!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9725707

Amanda That is sitting on the inside frame of an Air Conditioner , At a window . indoors .
Fresh sprouts winter time ..

Arejay ' One day I might grow enough of them to save seeds . so far , bulk buying . One grows perennial outside .. Someday experiment ..

I have gone OCD about seeds , or should be ,,, goodness ..lol

Seed cleaning , about 15 or 20 baggies in the pic , I've done this at least four times , a couple more to go ,,lol

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9726752

That's nice work, Ju. I can't bring myself to do it - mostly paper bags folded up, shipping envelopes, business sized envelopes in my collection. I only package them and make them presentable when someone asks to trade. :D
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2013
12:10 AM

Post #9727168

Great collection there Juhur!! Hi Amanda and Al. Nice to see you both.I am not ready for Christmas, I am off to find a space to wrap!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2013
1:17 AM

Post #9727179

Same here. Have seeds to send but now to get them in the mail after the holidays. :)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2013
12:00 AM

Post #9727712

Ugh the mail. That is a nasty word around here right now!! It is 400 feet to the mailbox and 10 degrees and windy from here to there the snow underfoot surrounding it all . None of it calls me to take envelopes out to it!!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2013
1:15 AM

Post #9727729

I can understand that!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2013
2:07 AM

Post #9727733

Well were all having some (ugh "fun) that way ,,
Maybe it will be better in a month or so , even if it is colder ,
Kind of near the same thing , winter ain't no fun , no more ,

Garden area today , or well ,, whatever time of the 24 hrs it is...lol

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9727843

Yeah, we're getting some snow showers off from the lakes to our west. Expecting 6" or so more tonight. Keeps the ski people happy, it's a big employment factor here. I love it, though I don't enjoy shoveling.

Drop by for a hot coffee and fresh Christmas cookies if you want...

Al

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9727890

Thanks for the invitation. Sounds tempting!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9728060

lycodad All sounds good , delightful really , as long as I don't have to ski ,,
As cross country, sledding and playing on ice was fun as a youngster ,, I got ""brittle"" since then..lol
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2013
12:13 AM

Post #9728322

oh my goodness the snow is coming fast here now!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9728397

Yup!! It is official 8 inches and still snowing!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9728399

Well at least it is Sunday and you don't have to be on the roads. Stay safe and warm.

Jan
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9728447

Right you are Jan!! Only snow travel here today!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9728713

I'm still being OCD .
I could give the usual stories , and I like to talk , but I fatigue typing , if that makes since ?, about five or six of either to go, bag, trays , etc , these are about done.
Colander for sifting , Catnip , Penstemon , mints, the small dust particles

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9728716

Snow about the same ;

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9729074

Ju you are doing a fine job. And love the PICTURES of snow. We haven't had any accumulation here so photos are just fine for now.

I'll get down to the seed sifting and sorting and shipping. Got to get those Milkweeds in the wind! Maybe just open the door and let the wind do it's thing with the fluff...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9729254

Wow Amanda !!! Your putting the fluff Silk back on the milkweed seeds so you can wild , wind Sow them? !!!
Lol !!! How do you do that??? !!!:-)

I did a few more last evening ,this evening I am taking a break , We got another 1/2 snow yesterday , last night , suppose to tonight , possibly tomorrow , then it all melts this weekend ..
I have been looking for last years envelope of Orangeglo Watermelon seeds , to add some of those , In the meantime I will finish sifting Penstemon and Spearmint seed, tiny little things, lol
Hopefully I will finish the seeds and send them off to the trade bank during the next couple of weeks ,,
Then my plant plans 2014 ,I can get to .. Twixt and tween all that , is Christmas of course ..
Strange how long some things seem ,and then they seem like ""poof"" and their done or gone .. lol The Human Mind "" Of the Human Factor "" you all know what I mean LOL !!!...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2013
9:18 PM

Post #9729367

The skiing is great up here Amanda, just got another 12" of snow last weekend and all the slopes are open. I think my mind went " poof " along with the weather.. Think I'll sit by the fire with my coffee mug.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9729660

I enjoy seeing the photos of snow but don't mind the 80 degree weather here in Cocoa Beach.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 17, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9729799

We're skiing here too in the western part of the state. Much of our snow is man made even though we have the highest peaks in the east.

No snow here in the Piedmont, but any day is a good day to hang out with your cup of coffee. We rent this house, and it has gas log fireplace, but it does not work. We dislike the LLs enough not to draw their ire by asking them to fix it.

O well.

I'm collecting seeds here and there too, but not really enough to donate. Of course when the Robins are thru we'll have fair amount to ship. I can't recall if you have an have limit on your donations Robin/RisingCreek. I think we did establish some guidelines a while back. I culled seeds from the spring round robin that were not adequately labeled and those that were out of date (more than 2 seasons old). I'm sure there is a community garden or two that would take old seed.

I'm beat today! I don't do much Christmas shopping these past several years since mom passed, but feeling nostalgic so I am prepping packages for two brothers at least. One of them has kids so his box will be bigger. Then I remembered how much a flat rate box costs to ship and wondered if none wouldn't be better. Hahaha. O well.

Al- we know you have a lot of family ... how do you fare during the holidays?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2013
2:56 AM

Post #9730028

I don't have any rules Amanda. Guidelines are mail to me or Rc!! Snow snow and more snow here. 35 below they say in parts of the state yesterday. Mittsy send a little of that this way!! I could use some melting!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9735717

Most of mine are not tropical enduring so to Robin they will go , after the holidays , Hopefully the first week after , nothing spectacular , only back to all for few things Not to take away all the work that our seed keepers do !!! ..

Huckleberry seeds , After I fill this bag I will see about what is together in the envelopes .
I really need to be better at collecting seeds instead of cleaning and sorting all winter ...

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9735737

When do you send out the newbie seeds, arejay?

mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

December 29, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9736439

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and will have a Happy New Year. I have been very busy and lost my computer for a while, but all the bugs have been exterminated, so I should be good for a while. I want to thank Mittsy for her generosity with the morning glories- that was a nice surprise when I opened it. Some of every kind you mentioned! If you send me your Florida addy, I will gladly send you the postage, or I can send it to your NY addy.

I know I'm supposed to leave my decorations up until after the New Year, but with a 10 month old and a 2 1/2 year old, 3 weeks is about my limit. They were very good and even the baby knows what 'no' means, but enough is enough! I had Xmas eve here and my sister had Xmas day dinner at her place. We open our gifts to each other, on Xmas eve and then after they go to bed Santa delivers his gifts to them at their home and when they get up, they open those. It is a perfect way for their great auntie, grandparents and mom and dad to each have their time with them and with each other.
For 4 little boys under the age of 5 1/2, it is a great time of year!! And believe me, it is amazing how many trucks a little guy can get excited about!! Anyhow, the decorations are down, wrapped up and half put away. My old legs just can't make any more trips downstairs today. Tomorrow will see it all stored away until 'God willing' next year.

We have had cold, snow, and freezing rain here during the last 2 weeks, now 2 days of mild weather and then cold again. I am looking forward to settling down after the holidays are over and planning what and when to get started with starting seeds in the basement. By the time everything is organized and the racks for the seed trays are up and lighted up, it will be the middle of Jan., so I should be able to start some of the ones that need longer to get going. I am already itching to get going on it!!

Anyway, I wish you all a Happy New Year and all the best in 2014!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2013
12:17 AM

Post #9736621

Snow cold freezing rain and more of each here !! Your seed collecting looks good to me juhur7!!
CVille, we send them any time of the year each zone has different requirements and preferences for planting. When someone requests we send!! Sounds like a fun and busy holiday Mitch sorry for the computer trouble. It certainly is the nature of the beasts!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2013
2:39 AM

Post #9736678

Right. Can just send seeds any time then.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9736703

I'm still playing with seeds , Depends on the weather when I send them , A couple odds and ends I am trying to decide how to pack to send ,
I will probably send these and try the vegetable seeds later after I decide what I am going to grow ,
These I am doing now , I have lots of ..
I forgot to say it is snowing this morning and its cold .. not bad for this time of year though , winter is winter .

This message was edited Dec 30, 2013 8:59 AM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9737418

Ill start planting some of mine next Month to start in the greenhouse maybe even the end of this month for winter sowing!! I cant get into the greenhouse right now but maybe next month!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9737422

In three more months it'll be April, Robin...best not to pressure Mother Nature.

Have a great New Year All!

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2013
11:03 PM

Post #9737901

April...dang it.It turned off so cold here Al it could be June before all this ice melts!!
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2014
4:36 PM

Post #9738355

I know how you feel Robin. It has turned so cold here, that I haven't been outside for 2 days. It is hard to imagine it turning nice and warm again, isn't it? But it will, so all we can do is stay warm and comfy, and wait it out. Happy New Year all. Sandra

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2014
8:05 AM

Post #9738686

2nd day of the New Year ,, I think I want the old one back ... lol
Here you go 5 inches of snow , possible blizzard for Sunday .
It will be a few days before I can send the seeds on to destination New Bee ...

A 9 x 6 box waiting to be posted ..
Snow waiting to shoveled ..
Eeek !!! more snow falling ..

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2014
10:17 AM

Post #9738776

Come on over, we're all going skiing! The slopes are all open for the season. Another big storm brewing for this weekend. Maybe I'll just hang by the fireplace...it's warmer there!

Al
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

January 2, 2014
5:18 PM

Post #9739013

Al -I think you should hang out near a fireplace. If you are getting the cold we are, -24 wind chill -35 . When I was younger, I might have considered skiing or snow mobiling but not anymore.. My joints and a broken leg(skiing) all talk to me now and remind me of my foolish days. The weather channel says Monday will be the coldest all year here. My van hasn't been run for 3 days, so tomorrow I'll put the charger on it so that I'll have it for the week-end. Stay warm. Sandra
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2014
4:36 AM

Post #9739221

Happy New Year everyone.

The snow is beautiful when viewed from warmer climes. Love your snowy trees, Robin.
No postage necessary, Sandra, I was happy to share.

I'm trying something new, I just heard about. I was told you could start new tomato plants from old ones by taking cuttings and rooting in water then potting up. So I'm giving it a try. My grape tomatoes are producing quite well and I'm going to start my peas as we are supposed to drop from the 80's to the 70's. Had two days of rain so everything should have a growth spurt.

I really need to clean up my patio as I've been neglecting it as I try to drag myself into this century learning how to operate my new sewing /embroidery machine. I have software to learn so I'll be able to use it's expanded functions of digitizing a photo to stitch out. My retired machine used 3 1/2 inch floppy disks and the new one has a Flash drive or connects directly to the laptop. My off repeated mantra is "I am not too old to learn something new".

I've run out of basil so had to buy seeds, not the lovely large leaved ones I wanted but all that was available. $1.79. I had no idea seeds had gone up so much. Guess I'll ask here before purchasing any more herb seeds.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2014
4:49 AM

Post #9739228

No rush to send here Jhur!! The trees are still heavy with ice and snow and more on the way...below zero temps ..
Missty yes do check before you buy!! Send me a list you are certainly welcome to have seed if we have it!! You have been a very generous donating party to the newbee seed stash for as long as I can remember!! I have started new tomatoes from growing tomatoes Mittsy!! Even taking a cutting and putting in a shady spot like coleus works!! Right in the garden I mean..
I bought a new sewing machine too last year for quilting. I love it I almost bought the one with the flash drive ext but opted for the janome that has it inside the machine. I dont believe I will ever use all the stitches and designs it offers!!

Ice and snow and more ice and snow...Maine...

Thumbnail by arejay59   Thumbnail by arejay59   Thumbnail by arejay59      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2014
8:47 AM

Post #9739358

I am only a little anxious to send the seeds for giving back a few gifts ,
I will probably wait a week , weather and elsewhere being frozen in and all , sort of anyway .
I came across 1/2 ounce of old Rutgers (Tomato) seeds I am going to have to grow a few now to see if their still any good .. Anytime I come across old seeds I always say shame on myself for not growing them ..
Next time I may be able to do a few more like basil of variety and so on . All I have there that is pretty is an opal or purple .. pretty plant but to few seeds to do much with .
Cannot find the pic , in the file ..
A couple people to do one trades with , after that , I will sort through the seeds off and on , and send a few one trades .. just so the seeds I don't use have a chance to get grown ...
Not exciting , but fun . in the way it is . for those of us that enjoy our little green friends ..lol

A pic from this morning , 9 below , sun shining , another storm shortly on it's way here ,, pooper people ... lol I am not a happy snow bear ... at least I am not bi-polar though , everything else , pretty near ,, but that is another story ...

Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2014
8:55 AM

Post #9739361

I forgot , I get a little bored and this is what happens;
You have seen Freddy , Jason , Alien , Predator and all ?
Well here is the ; Incognito Snow Removal Man !!!
in the second pic , hiding behind the camera cord , sneaking up on someone ,,
Uh , huh ,,, ?

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2014
11:40 AM

Post #9739437

Geez...it's cold here. I'm checking out the http://www.vrbo.com in South Florida somewhere.

Al

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2014
11:51 AM

Post #9739443

My sister (youngest does time sharing) Her main one is Key West Florida , Last year she took granny and they gang to SC ..
I stayed home and set the pets ,, Not to say I haven't left and disappeared camping or fishing for a week or two once in a while .. lol
Sometimes a few get peeved at me for that ,, but I ain't telling,, when I'm hiding ,,, I'm hiding .. Shame on me ??? lol
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

January 3, 2014
5:43 PM

Post #9739679

Thanks again Mittsy. I don't know about putting the cuttings in water, but a friend of mine uses his larger suckers that he removes to start new tomato plants. He just digs a hole and puts it in, says new plants take off pretty fast- just keep watered. I think you could skip the step with the water and just plant and keep watered. I have been told by others that a water root is not as strong as a root developed in soil. Good luck with whatever method you use. Try both- that way you will know which is the faster and gives you the strongest plant.
Still in the deep freeze here-now the weather channel says it is going to warm up this weekend- I sure hope so. Stay warm. Sandra
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2014
12:14 AM

Post #9739840

Good morning...watch out for the snow man...lol
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2014
3:22 AM

Post #9739851

It got pretty cold for us, down to an overnight of 45 but it's going to a high of 71, so I'm not complaining. If it's not raining I'm going to plant peas today. Going to stick to the 5 gallon bucket method but placing it in front of a trellis. I'll post pictures if it gets done today.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2014
12:49 AM

Post #9740451

Rumor has it warmer days are coming here. Rain. I cant wait to plant peas!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2014
5:14 AM

Post #9740489

We have winter storm ION going on here . The storm is like it just getting going .
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2014
8:37 AM

Post #9740716

The sun is out!! It must be 20 degrees!! There is no more room for snow!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2014
8:45 AM

Post #9740728

Your pic's are prettier .. In reply to more snow ..
Well enterprising persons might put the snow in giant tanks , and sell the water to drought areas later !!!:-) silly aren't I ?

Well you have snow , more than most .. Snowing heavy . not as much snow yet , but there will be in a few hours ..
I forgot ; Gosh ,! All the snow sure is Pretty !!!:-)(sigh )

This message was edited Jan 5, 2014 12:56 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2014
10:27 AM

Post #9740798

wow and I was complaining about it being in the 30s here at night. wont do that anymore!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2014
1:01 PM

Post #9740889

Nah, we in California are quite fortunate at the moment...except for the drought, of course. Yeah, ship us that snow...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2014
1:12 PM

Post #9740908

here ya go more snow . and it's still coming down . 3rd one early this morning first one a few minutes ago ..
OOPS ;forgot again about snow, ,, Robin , were trying to catch up ...lol?
Evelyn be happy to ,, I don't how , but I would be happy to send ya all we have ..
RC ; complaining is what makes it right to relax .. remember Goldilocks ? it did not all go perfect , but she got good food , and nice bed to sleep in ,,,lol
I don't know about having a bear waking me up though , lol the first two I would take in blink LOL

This message was edited Jan 5, 2014 5:16 PM

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2014
2:53 PM

Post #9741010

Yeah, we're getting some serious snow from the west off from Lake Erie. Another storm and bitter cold expected this week. We were close to 0 yesterday. The ski people are going crazy, though.

Funny, I'm still getting my seed catalogs in the mail! Time to sit by the fire.

Al

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2014
2:54 PM

Post #9741013

The Moral of the previous story : Life is often a lot like a Fairy Tale , , though , life can often be as a Grimm Story ...:-)

13 Inches at sunset , until midnight to go ..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2014
3:03 PM

Post #9741022

lycodad and all thank you for sharing your pic's also ,.
Al ,, I just thought you would like to see what is coming your way ..
Kind of the your on , were on , ION ... oh that's bad ,, but I'm trying .. lol :-)
Does that result in More on (Moron ) ? Well I get bored in the winter , tired of shoveling this goop too !!!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2014
7:17 PM

Post #9742068

I used to live back east, and up in the mountains for awhile here, I do not miss shoveling snow, but I do miss watching the snow fall, so silent compared to rain, and the way the ground looks all covered in white. But I am too old for the bone chilling cold that goes with all that beauty

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2014
7:02 AM

Post #9742344

Amen, me too. But right now we are in an "icebox" temp zone.
got water dripping som e of the fountain froze even with the bird water heaters in them. So you know it is cold. Started out about 8 degrees, supposed to warm up to mid 20's. Wow!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2014
7:17 AM

Post #9742354

Extreme isn't it ? I saw that national map this morning ...

Hey risingcreek , as said , it's pretty , only you aren't missing as much as you likely remember ,
lol , It has not been that much fun , since say early teens ?

13 Below here .. Last time I visited Georgia , it was stuffy hot ,, as usual , I could not imagine an 8 degree , below 0 wind chills in Georgia ?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2014
8:29 AM

Post #9742401

Not much talk about Global Warming today!

Al

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2014
8:46 AM

Post #9743224

I have not done hardly a thing , roads are awful .. I have one prescription pill and have to go get more , not a problem , but traveling around here is chore ,
To add to that it is snowing lightly here ,, It all gives me a headache , looking at the light changes , general problematic .. such and such ,
Mail has only been packages and must ship as medicals to facilities and so on ,, things are definitely moving slow ,
If all else fails I will walk over and pick up my package , only about a city block and half away ,, only honestly walking in snow does not thrill me , and making it easy walking in the street ain't happening ,, (lots of traffic )
Good things though .. lots of food , powers on so there iare lights and heat a plenty ...
I just wanted to complain about the weather ,, lol
I hate things that cause auto response !!! controls !!!..:-)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2014
1:28 PM

Post #9743390

I hope that you make it home safely...(((HUGS!!!)))
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

January 8, 2014
5:11 PM

Post #9743486

Juhur I'm with you. For years I had a problem with migraine headaches. It never failed when the weather turned bad and the pressure dropped, I would get a wicked headache that sometimes would last for days on end( to the point that I would end up in the hospital with it) It was really hard dealing with the weather and my migraines. Thank goodness, the migraines have eased off with age. I still get some but the severity of them is not as bad. ( Also they have better drugs to deal with them now)HaHa I still hate to deal with the cold though, so I don't go too far.
I hope no one lost a lot in the south with all this Polar cold. I am sure no one was expecting freezing temps in Georgia , Texas or Florida. You plant veggies during the winter don't you? Sandra

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2014
1:51 PM

Post #9745476

Sandra burrrrrrrrr is all I can say we ended up with 29-30 degree temps that set off a sinus infection that stirred up my asthma, on the mends now. I could deal with the cold much better if it would come on gradual, not go from 80's to 30's in 24 hours... It is too hard to deal with.

Juhur7 I remember too well the snow storms that came to Anderson when I would get to spent the winters with my grandparents, but being a kid just meant staying home from school and playing with my collies. Hope you were able to get out without incident.

Jan

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2014
2:07 PM

Post #9745486

2 days after ,, no problem , dug our way to the street , with help .. and around to here and there .
Most is melting away , so in a couple of days , a couple of more seeds , might get planted .. maybe ? . I don't like cold , Big Sigh ... or headaches , mild these days ,, and Good ,, that they are ..

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2014
7:44 PM

Post #9747296

Hello newbies and oldbees. I'm just catching up on my thread watching. it's been a very busy time.

I see everyone may still be covered with the white stuff. This morning I felt the promise of spring and it was delightful. Soon, my friends. Soon. :)

xox
A.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2014
1:08 AM

Post #9747383

No white stuff here. Thank goodness. Everyone be well!

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2014
7:48 AM

Post #9747577

We're headed for the Southlands next week, hopefully Key Largo by Wednesday!

Al

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2014
4:49 AM

Post #9748242

Well, I'm envious. Have a great time (like you wouldn't).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2014
7:28 AM

Post #9748344

Here , it is snowing again , enjoy the vacation ,, while your looking for the key and equator ,check out the Bimini coral for me .
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2014
12:42 AM

Post #9750336

Thank you Juhur that was a very nice spring like box of newbee donations :)
Go Al!! THe Keys will be glorious with only a memory of the dirty snow banks back here in the Northeast!! Enjoy!!
Hi Amanda staying busy as usual I see!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2014
10:12 AM

Post #9750542

Arejay59 ;Hope some can enjoy , most are easy seeds, We will try some more vegies and flowers later on . My snapdragons, lupine, Daylily get going . should be more seeds.
You will be seeing lots seeds for summer and fall ,from what I hear ..

It has snowed the past two days here , going back to zero the next two days , not much gardening here ...

This message was edited Jan 18, 2014 2:13 PM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2014
11:42 PM

Post #9750950

A new envelope with a request came in right behind your donation Juhur!! So the first enjoying party has already arrived and it will ship back out on Monday!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2014
3:49 AM

Post #9750981

hi ya arejay , well good ,,, I want to see some growing live anything after all this snow .
As is , a few of those could of been cleaned better , but most were as good as they get ..
I have lots to try for spring and more to plan to do , than I likely will .
Still it is nice to talk and think of spring !!!
:-)
Well there's always more to try !!!
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2014
9:30 AM

Post #9751175

I would like to thank DomeHomeDee for her very generous donation to the zone 8 and up newbie stash. Greatly appreciated!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2014
6:41 AM

Post #9759980

Good Morning,
I just wanted to let those who sent envies know. I havent forgotten you. I have been on vacation and forgot to tell anyone. * See above*** I am known to forget things**** I am back this week and will send them back out to you full of seed ready to be planted any day now!!!! Yeeeayyy !! Spring..???

Spring Countdown

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/gardeners-do-list-february

Thumbnail by arejay59

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2014
6:40 AM

Post #9764895

Thank you Mittsy and James!! Planting time is so close!! The newbie box is filling up!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2014
7:36 AM

Post #9764936

Delightfully Delighted Robin !!! Got to keep the Butterflies and "Bees" happy and interested ..lol :-)

After this years Round Robin Trade , You might be getting more seeds ,,

I am really looking forward to spring , ! Really !!!
Thank you Also ,,Robin ,,, :-)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2014
9:09 AM

Post #9764987

This years spring run-off will be interesting with all that snow.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2014
3:28 AM

Post #9765382

So glad you got the packet. My grape tomatoes are the only thing doing well right now, but I've planted a few gazania seeds so maybe I'll have spring flowers along with my forced bulbs. The white iris are doing well.
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2014
11:37 AM

Post #9793914

Hey everybody come on out of hybernation. It is the 1st day of spring and although it is overcast with rain forcasted, it is above 0 and the snow is melting. Hooray for that! I'm so sick of looking at that dirty white stuff. I have gazania, marigold, geranium, begonia, datura,and more that i am not mentioning (-too many to list) seeds up.It had better warm up fast because I don't want to have to pot all these up. Half of my basement is taken up by layers of seed trays all sprouting seedlings. come on out and say Hi, best regards Sandra

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2014
11:52 AM

Post #9793920

hello . Wild asters are sprouting , Daylily shoots from older plants . Garlic I started from seed last year are showing up as are a few old sprouts of the Garlic .
It is a nice thought , plants and greenery returning . not much to see so far though .
Indoor starts , pepper salvia , marigolds . Tomato shortly ..
Spring :-) !!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2014
11:56 AM

Post #9793923

Yahoo!! Spring has arrived, why is it still snowing here? Okay, we're talking about SEEDS and not PLANTS just yet. My early Patio Princess tomatoes are started under the light stand, will be transplanted into portable buckets in a couple of weeks. Then on and off the porch depending on the weather and temps. We don't get seriously warm temps until mid-May or so.

Things are looking up!
Al
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2014
12:20 PM

Post #9793934

Hi Juhur and Al -Patio Princess? Full size or cherry? How long til maturity? I have yellow cherry -Chello, Celebrity Full size,indeterminate, 60 day, First Lady indeterminate, 66 days,full size and some seeds that a friend sent me from Northern Ontario that he was given by an elderly Italian man (my friend says they are the best he has ever grown). Would you believe ?-the Celebrity and First Lady seeds were in a box Of my father's stuff that I recently unpacked so the seeds are 12 years old and even if only half sprout it will be amazing! So far I only have 1 or 2 of each one of the above that have actually sprouted but it is eary on yet. Will give them another week.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2014
2:08 PM

Post #9794001

Patio Princess is Burpee hybrid, don't know if they are available in Canada. It's a short determinate tomato bred for large pots and containers. Fairly early, but I also start mine 2 - 3 weeks early anyway. It's a "large cherry" about golf ball size tomatoes. Info at http://burpee.com
Contact my D-Mail if interested.

I've grown a few tomato seeds 10 years old or more, all depends on how they have been stored. Some will germinate, some won't. Only one way to find out, win or lose. I would just space them out in a cool-whip container with a good quality starting mix, then pluck out the ones that grew for transplant into a flat. Some folks have their own recipe for doing this such as adding a very light dilution of Miracle-Gro to the water to help.

Al

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2014
8:28 PM

Post #9795055

Just wanted to thank Mitt again for the irises, which are starting to bloom in our weird warm calif weather.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2014
1:28 AM

Post #9795146

Seeds sprouting !! I still have lots of snow. Soon I hope to see the mud!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2014
9:31 AM

Post #9830475

Mit has blessed my with some beautiful blooms and still waiting for some to bloom...
Red Rider and Thornbirds...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule         

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2014
10:35 AM

Post #9830556

Hi Charleen!! Nice posies you got posin' there!

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2014
5:17 AM

Post #9831149

I love this time of year. Al. How you all doing????
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2014
8:34 AM

Post #9833065

YaHoo! It's Spring. Time to get planted. We've got sunshine, and green grass again..

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2014
6:15 PM

Post #9917400

Okay Chit-Chaters, where have you all been? We're finally eatin' tomatoes here in NY, seems like we're about the last ones on the entire continent! Sandra sent me some seeds from Manitoba that turned out absolutely delicious!

Is the Newbie Thread still intact?

Hope everyone is happily gardening!

Be Well!
Al

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2014
3:10 AM

Post #9917571

Those are nice maters! I have a bit to go before I can pick mine. Not quite ripe yet for that full blown flavor that I'm craving for my BLT sandwich.
In the seeds for newbies dept. I have been harvesting the Columbine, Larkspur and Bolero Marigold seeds. Checked the Eastern Blue Star (Amsonia) and Hollyhocks and found Jester's Jacket is blooming, tiny pink flowers, so cute. Had to give the Columbine pods the freezer treatment as they were full of tiny beetles. All good now! My red raspberry crop was so sparse there was hardly enough for a little grazing let alone desserts of any kind. I'll miss my raspberry jam this winter, but raspberries are too expensive to purchase for jam making. The asparagus was excellent this spring. But no apples. Late frost got them all. I sure hope we get a nice fall so lots of tomatoes will have time to mature.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2014
10:15 AM

Post #9920924

Mine are about gone. Still picking some bell peppers though...
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2014
2:09 PM

Post #9921123

I'm not getting enough peppers so I have to buy them and corn on the cob.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2014
10:14 PM

Post #9922112

Hi everyone - time marches on! :)

hope you're enjoying what's left of summer. I am still nursing some seedlings. I have been REALLY behind this year what with school and all. Better luck next year, and/or I am about to start some sunflower seeds which will bloom well into November.

Good night!
A.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2014
12:30 PM

Post #9938087

I'm still looking at (maybe) my last bacon, lettuce, and tomato salad for the season. Just adding a little Italian dressing and a few blue cheese crumbles. The garden is drying up pretty good despite the cool summer here in New York. Time to start getting our new catalogs for next year! LOL

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2014
2:00 AM

Post #9938514

I have my fall crop of peas started and my butternut squash are looking good. Beets were very disappointing, no size at all. A few tomatoes still green but of good size.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America