Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: JAPANESE SKY PENCIL HOLLY

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joelcoqui
Roslyn
United States

August 28, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9643618

What happens if I shear the tops flat off of Japanese Sky Pencil Holly? How will it grow...do the stems double?
joelcoqui
Roslyn
United States

September 23, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9667763

Anyone??
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 23, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9667777

A picture of the Holly in question would help and a rough description of the results your looking for, that way some folks can get back to you with their views and maybe experience of doing the same ????

Without knowing why you would want to JUST shear the top off the Holly, and the results you want to achieve, then the answer is YES, you can just cut the top off any plant BUT do you want to reduce the HIGHT, do you want to prune into a shape, do you NEED to actually shear the top or would pruning the sides help you get more from the plant, or would digging it up and moving it be a better result and plant another more suitable shrub in it's place.????
Can you get back with more info and a picture would be even more helpful.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9668441

That is such a narrow variety I do not think it would get much wider. Maybe denser.
It will probably take off growing at the point where you cut it, that is, at the top.
joelcoqui
Roslyn
United States

September 25, 2013
4:44 AM

Post #9669636

Because it is growing sparse at the top and 2 of them are growing at a different rate. I want them all even as they are against my light colored house as an edge. Yes they are narrow. Im just not sure if it will the upright branches will double and grow awkwardly.

Sequoiadendron4

Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9670744

I don't think your plant will grow awkwardly after shearing the top flat. As with most plants, if you cut off a stem, new stems will grow from the one or two leaf sprouts next in line. That plant is a very commonly sheared plant so you should do fine to give it a little hair cut to make the one the same size as the other.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America