Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: Bees forming new hive in my yard

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 4, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9646786

Hi, does anyone want to come and get bees from my yard? I have bees trying to form a new hive in my front yard really close to the sidewalk where people walk their pets, kids ride bikes and mom push their strollers as they walk around the neighborhood. Or, can you tell me how to find someone to take them. With all of the bees that are dying I don't want to exterminate them. I live in Phoenix.
beeproof
Andover, KS

August 31, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9646831

Wished I could help. We live in KS; too far to come. If you haven't found anyone yet, you could google local beekeepers in your area. If it is just a clump of bees that have swarmed, they are fairly easy to gather. If you don't have any luck, you might try Facebook if you are a user of that media. We have gathered 3 swarms so far in our 3 yrs of keeping bees.
Good luck to you!
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9646910

These bees swarmed a couple of months ago, and have found a hollow spot at the base of our carob tree. I'll have to keep looking - we so desperately need all of our bees
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9647009

I used to do a lot of swarm pick up- good source of 'freebees'

Anyway, here are a few ideas to find a local beekeeper:
Go to health food stores that specify they sell local honey. Read the labels and write down the contact info.
Look up any word related to bee keeping (apiculture, honey...) and see if there is a beekeeping club in your area.
Call an exterminator (or several) and specify that you want the bees kept alive, who do they refer?
Ask animal control, vector control and similar organizations.
We also had out phone number listed with all the local emergency services such as police and fire. If you call these organizations, specify that it is not an emergency, but you just want a phone number or other contact info.
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9647122

Thanks! I just don't want them exterminated - we've lost too many bees already.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America