Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Plants: Overwintering in a heated greenhouse

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 7, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 31, 2013
10:02 PM

Post #9647331

Please which of these would benefit most from overwintering in a heated greenhouse? A local greenhouse is offering to do it for those that have more exotic plants.

Medinilla magnifica
Just found this: "
A: After a Medinilla has finished flowering and the old flowers have fallen off or have been removed, the plant will grow new shoots. In this period, the plant can be given some plant feed once every two weeks. When the new shoots are approx. 10 inches long, you have to place the plant in a cooler environment at 17-18C (63 64F) still with high light in winter, diffused light in summer. When after approx. 10 weeks, the flower buds are about 1 inch; you can place it in a warmer room." I'm thinking it will do fine in our house.

Hawaii'an Sunset Vine
Blue Butterfly Bush Clerodendrum Ugandense
iochroma
Plumeria (Dwarf)...I know I could let it go dormant.
Lady Margaret Passiflora
Brugmansia (still haven't Y'ed yet)
Taro...can I dig up and put in smaller pot?
Elephant Ears...can I dig up and put in smaller pot?
Banana...can I dig up and put in smaller pot?
Hibiscus
Mandevilla
Duranta
Oleander

Thank you ever so much for your input!

This message was edited Aug 31, 2013 11:06 PM
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9653198

Taro
Elephant ears
banana

Yes yes and yes.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9653215

Hawaii'an Sunset Vine
Blue Butterfly Bush Clerodendrum Ugandense
iochroma
Plumeria (Dwarf)...I know I could let it go dormant.
Lady Margaret Passiflora
Brugmansia (still haven't Y'ed yet)
Taro...can I dig up and put in smaller pot?
Elephant Ears...can I dig up and put in smaller pot?
Banana...can I dig up and put in smaller pot?
Hibiscus
Mandevilla
Duranta
Oleander

ALL of these will continue to grow and bloom in a heated greenhouse, but go dormant/die if the temp. falls below 40 degrees. I grow all of these in my zone 8b, and they go dormant when the temps. drop below 40 for several hours.

You can put both the Taro, EE's and Bananas in pots for the winter. You can let the Plumeria go dormant - just shake off the soil and put it in the closet.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9653365

Do you realize how lucky you are. Awesome!!!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9653716

:D :D :D :D :D

Thank you ever so much Homer and Kay!!! I was wondering if any of the above needed dormancy (or if it would hurt them) and now you've answered that ? :o)

Homer I do indeed realize how spoiled those of us that were offered this awesome gift are! In fact my jaw dropped when it was mentioned to me.

I didn't want to waste any of her space if they couldn't handle the conditions there but now I feel much better. I will have to start potting some of the plants into smaller pots now (some are in huge heavy clay pots...they are about 4 feet tall now re elephant ears and taro's etc.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9654001

I don't think EE's (taros) *need* dormancy but putting large plants in small pots and expecting them to stay robust will be difficult if at all possible. Personally, I would just let them and the bananas go dormant, keep them dry and above freezing, and use the GH for shrub type plants like the hibiscus, oleander, mandevilla, brugmansias and the various vines.

You might consider using the GH to jump start the big bulbous plants in the spring. By starting them sooner, in a warm sunny environment, you should have full plants ready to go out in your garden as soon as the weather cooperates. You can then use the smaller pots to get them going then move them into the larger pots when they are outside and need more room for their roots.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 8, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9654080

Thank you for your input as well Ardesia :D...I'll be making some decisions very soon as to what goes where. A couple of the Taro's I may hunt down a lighter larger pot for them and others I'll let go into dormancy. They are looking so fine right now and very eye-catching.

This time of year is such a heartbreaker up here ... our season is so short and plants are just now becoming breathtaking (oh what a couple more months of growing weather would do)!

*sigh*

This message was edited Sep 8, 2013 10:20 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2013
3:07 AM

Post #9654749

Strange isn't it? Our season is so long some plants start looking raggedy by this time of year from the heat.

That GH will give you lots of options for your tropicals. Next year they will be ready and rarin' to go when summer arrives in SK.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America