-
AuthorContent
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9648152

I moved most of my garden from the old house...but couldn't get all. Looking outside..noting the lack of bloom.
Last couple of buds in the daylily bed. Blooms on the Big Leaf Ligularia. garden phlox and the tall sedums have started. The toad lilies are blooming..but they are first year, as couldn't find the ones that I wanted to dig up...there goes that big,late patch :0
Would love some suggestions..currently a lot of shade in the yard..huge silver maple goes across most of the lot..that will be coming down , due to possible issues with some of the large branches, so will have more sun area...but don't know when that will happen,
Would Love suggestions for late summer/fall blooms...some plants aren't favs of mine/::mums, helianthus,and galliarda and anything toxic to dogs.
I will be trying the mini asters (maybe)...my soil (now is clay..sure miss the loam) and a Very High iron level in the soil. I can modify small areas (energy limited :( )
Would love to attract birds and butterflies. Have corner of garden with lots of the food plants for the caterpillar stage..have a good start for the nectar. Hoping that the rain from this season (as opposed to drought last year) will have bridge affect for more butterflies this coming season.
Hmm/ I am t rambling..so look forward to any suggestions.
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 14, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9660143

When the maple is gone and you have more sun, what about sunflowers and a butterfly bush? I don't think clay will bother either of them and I know the birds and butterflys will love them.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9662181

motts1-here's two threads that may give you some ideas:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1329033/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1330369/

Just need to note what zone they poster is in vs. what zone you are in.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2014
10:08 AM

Post #9745328

Thanks, great info..sorry it is so late, but life often gets in the way of gardening.
I did get a couple of butterfly bushes in,,in the spring, need to get feeding plants for larvae started.
Robins were here for winter (hope they had a warm apt nearby) they enjoyed the berries left on the trees.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America