Magnesium Chloride Vs Magnesium Sulfate

Clarksville, TN

Can Magnesium Chloride(Mag Flake) be used instead of Magnesium Sulfate(Epsom Salt) for pepper plants?

Thanks in advance! :)

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I have always used Epsom salt for magnesium, I do not know if plants like the chloride part of Magnesium Chloride.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I agree with Diana_K.

Epsom salt. I've never seen Chloride included in any fertilization recommendation.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

a little clip from Wikipedia about magnesium chloride in the garden:

"Gardening and Horticulture

Because magnesium is a mobile nutrient, magnesium chloride can be effectively used as a substitute for magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) to help correct magnesium deficiency in plants via foliar feeding. It is advisable to use a smaller dose when using magnesium chloride compared to the recommended dose of magnesium sulfate (20 g/L). This is due primarily to the chlorine present in magnesium chloride, which can easily reach toxic levels if over-applied and/or applied too often.

It has been found that higher concentrations of magnesium in tomato and some pepper plants can make them more susceptible to disease caused by infection of the bacteria Xanthomonas campestris, since Mg is essential for bacterial growth."

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks jmc1987!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images