Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Magnesium Chloride Vs Magnesium Sulfate

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Islander84
Clarksville, TN

September 2, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9648698

Can Magnesium Chloride(Mag Flake) be used instead of Magnesium Sulfate(Epsom Salt) for pepper plants?

Thanks in advance! :)
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9671098

I have always used Epsom salt for magnesium, I do not know if plants like the chloride part of Magnesium Chloride.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9671526

I agree with Diana_K.

Epsom salt. I've never seen Chloride included in any fertilization recommendation.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9671544

a little clip from Wikipedia about magnesium chloride in the garden:

"Gardening and Horticulture

Because magnesium is a mobile nutrient, magnesium chloride can be effectively used as a substitute for magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) to help correct magnesium deficiency in plants via foliar feeding. It is advisable to use a smaller dose when using magnesium chloride compared to the recommended dose of magnesium sulfate (20 g/L). This is due primarily to the chlorine present in magnesium chloride, which can easily reach toxic levels if over-applied and/or applied too often.

It has been found that higher concentrations of magnesium in tomato and some pepper plants can make them more susceptible to disease caused by infection of the bacteria Xanthomonas campestris, since Mg is essential for bacterial growth."

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9671595

Thanks jmc1987!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America