-
AuthorContent
Atwoodshole
Charlottesville, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9649347

We have several very large helleri holly that need pruning. We prune every year, but when is the best time to prune? We live in Virginia. They are each about 4 ft. High by 5 ft wide.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2013 9:46 AM
Atwoodshole
Charlottesville, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9664180

How do I edit the title to include when to prune?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9664261

Only Admin can edit the title.

You should post this query in Trees, Shrubs and Conifers, although someone in Fruits and Nuts may also have an answer.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 20, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9665381

I prune all my hollies (different types BUT all the same family) April for Hedging but for shrubs I want to shape ot keep to a certain size, I do that in July or August, that way, the tender new shoots have time to harden up before the winter.

Depending on the size of the plants / shrubs, it's best to prune with proper loppers as IF you use hedge trimmers, you clip lots of leaves in half or chop them up and later they turn brown though never damage the plants.

Variegated Hollies IF neglected sometimes revert back to their green state and you need to cut these stems / branches right back to the wood but, these type of Hollies need a good bit more sun the most other types.

At Christmas when you want Hollies wirh berries for house decoration, dont strip the one plant of ALL berries, take from several or it may take a while for the plant to flower and form more berries the following year.
Hope this helps you out a bit.
Best of luck and kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America