Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Is this product really organic?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jinxxycat1
East Pittsburgh, PA

September 3, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9649559

http://www.ecosmart.com/products/garden-insect-killer/

Active ingredients
Rosemary oil, peppermint oil, thyme oil, clove oil
Other ingredients
Water, mineral oil, potassium oleate, lecithins

Have been using all organic natural everything in my garden, down to the untreated cedar planks for the bed, don't want to undo what I have been doing. Thanks!

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9649870

looks fine to me :)

all the active ingredients are just oils made from common garden herbs

Potassium Oleate and lecithin are forms of plant / animal fatty acid (which would eat through hard shelled insects like beetles)
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

September 3, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9649891

Another way of telling is to look for the OMRI lable. Seems more organic companies are getting OMRI certified.
jinxxycat1
East Pittsburgh, PA

September 3, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9649929

Thank you both!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9653214

If the lecithin is from soy, then it is very likely to be genetically modified, which is neither natural nor organic.

Mineral oil is made from petroleum.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9673693

i could be wrong about this but i think by definition, the term organic includes anything that is carbon based. petroleum is a carbon based material, so mineral oil would be considered organic.
even something like soy, whether modified or not, would still be carbon based and organic.
bluetexasbonnie
Geronimo, TX

September 29, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9673740

Trackinsand: Your "organic" definition is what chemists use -- and is entirely correct in that context. I've never read a concise definition for organic in the gardening context. I don't know if there is an "official" definition. In the gardening/agriculture community I take it to mean that you use things that came directly (or very near directly) from other living things.

It really drives us chemist-types nuts to hear that "chemicals" are bad -- everything is a chemical. ... and "Organic" is good -- even though it is still chemicals.

Jinx -- the following is strictly my own opinion. I am not, nor do I ever intend to be, any kind of "certified" organic gardener. I do consider my self an organic gardener, and with in my personal framework of organic gardening I try to avoid all spraying of general purpose "Insecticides". This mix wouldn't make my cut for general use because it would probably be equally harmful to beneficial insects and spiders as it is to the pestiferous kind.

To me, once you start spraying just to kill the "creepy little boogers", you have perverted the spirit of organic gardening -- even if you use things that meet all of the formal definitions. If using on very specific, very contained, limited problems (such as in greenhouse, houseplants, or just that one special bush), then they are worth a try if other more life oriented solutions have not worked. Spraying the whole flower bed/garden/yard would not be an acceptable choice.

Again, this is just my personal opinion.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America