Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Help! How do I get rid of this? Is it powdery mildew?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 14, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brooke71
San Antonio Heights, CA

September 3, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9650129

Can you please help me? I am dripping to these green beans and not sure why it looks like PM is growing. I hope I am wrong. Is there anything I can do? I had an aphid attack 8 weeks ago and ripped out everything and started over...I hope I will get some beans because they are just now producing. I can wipe off this stuff as you can hopefully see in the pictures but not sure what I should be doing.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumbnail by brooke71
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KarensWorld
High Point, NC

September 6, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9652782

You might want to try a fungicide. I had either the same problem or a similar one, sprayed the beans and it cleared up--for awhile.

My beans produced volumes even though the plants looked terrible. I'm definitely planting beans next year (I'm in zone 7), and will try to plant at two week intervals to extend harvest. I also plan to go the bush plant route. Much easier for me to harvest, since I planted them in raised beds.

Fresh green beans taste marvelous!
Jim41
Delhi, LA

September 9, 2013
10:24 PM

Post #9655757

If it is powdery mildew, mix a gallon of wate with a liberal dose of dish washing liquid an baking soda. It works really well for me. Cheap too.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9678845

Do not do the baking soda trick too often. It adds sodium and carbonate to the soil, and the carbonate can make the soil too alkaline.

Powdery Mildew is an odd fungus: Grows better under drier conditions, so drip irrigation, keeping the water off the leaves can help powdery mildew, while it stops most other fungi (that depend on water to spread).

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9680255

I've heard that spraying the plants with any type of milk will help get rid of the Powdery mildew, almost immediately. Use it in a sprayer bottle and hit the tops and the undersides of your leaves.

Godspeed, and good Harvest!

Linda
Megamunchers
Sugar Land, TX

October 22, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9692538

Gymgirl,

Should the milk be diluted, and if so, could you pl,advise how much?

Thanks

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9692926

Megamunchers,
I've not seen a recommendation to dilute the milk, but Google it. There should be something online that addresses using milk for powdery mildew.

Ok,
I found this link to a Dave's Garden article that may be of some help to you.

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/tcreegan/17207/#b

Godspeed, and Good Harvest!

Linda
Megamunchers
Sugar Land, TX

October 24, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9693905

Thanks Gymgirl, this is very helpful.

My mildewed okra will get its first milk bath today evening and hopefully sprout for one last hurrah before going into hibernation.

Cheers

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9693910

Megamunchers,
In the future when you're looking for info on a particular topic, you can search for Dave's Garden input through Google.

For instance, on the milk for powdery mildew issue, I went to Google and typed in "using milk for powder mildew dave's garden"

The search will bring up anything on the topic that was posted on dave's garden. Voila!

Hugs!

Now I gotta go do "when to plant sugar snap peas dave's garden," LOL!

Hugs! ^^_^^
Megamunchers
Sugar Land, TX

November 6, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9703711

Gymgirl,

A 50:50 diluted milk solution and Two rinses within the span of one week worked their magic.

Thanks for the tip.

Megamunchers

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9704037

YAY!

(Linda and Megamunchers doing the Happy Dance!) ^^_^^^^_^^

Megamunchers,
What are you growing in your fall garden? Have you planted out your stuff yet? LMK.
Megamunchers
Sugar Land, TX

November 17, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9710916

Gymgirl,

You know what, I am unable to add another raised bed because of the layout of my backyard sprinklers. I'm now thinking of putting together a growing container as per one of your posts for the off summer season growing.

But is it already too late?

Cheers

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9711410

Megamunchers!

It's NOT too late! This is the BEST season because of all the stuff you can grow, the weather is great, and there are far fewer bugs. The eBuckets lend themselves to broccolis, cauliflowers, cabbages, kale, swiss chard, and winter peas, because of the built in reservoirs. These plants are water hogs, so having the reservoirs at their disposal makes them happy!

I spent all day yesterday emptying old containers from the summer and refreshing the potting mixes with composted manure from Home Depot. I usually use Black Kow Composted manure from Lowe's, but it was more expensive this year. So, I went with the compost from HD. I sowed carrot seeds in several broad containers and a couple SmartPots fabric containers.

Last night, I sowed seeds for beets, turnips, cabbages, spinach, kale, & broccoli in root plugs, indoors. I may just set these outside and let them germinate on my patio, since they need cool temps to germinate. I should have sizable seedlings for transplanting to the raised beds in about 6 weeks, and they'll already be acclimated to outdoors.

I received my onion transplants Friday and was hoping to set those today, but, my body was aching too much after shoveling all that potting mix yesterday. I'll do a little bit after work this week. If you're into garlic, you can grab a bag at Sam's Club, and plant out the largest cloves. Everyone here plants garlic, onions, and strawberries in November.

I am WAAAAAAAY behind my usual schedule! By this time last year, I had broccoli and cauliflowers that were at least 18"-24" tall. I'm not stressing, though, because we can actually plant seeds and transplants up until December 20th or so.

So, go ahead and plant, plant, plant, LOL!

LMK if I can be of help to you!

Linda
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 30, 2013
3:30 AM

Post #9718822

Linda,
You are still working? I thought you are retired.

You amaze me of all the energy you have. It is now freezing here and it rained yesterday so it was a lazy day for me.

I planted shallots last week and I hope the squirrels does not eat them.

stay warm!!

Belle

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9720020

LOL, I'm gonna be working until I'm 95 years old!

I'm on vacation until this Thursday. About to go plant my onion transplants. Standing on my feet cooking Thanksgiving dinner wiped me out for two days.

I just stopped hurting enough to get back outside!

My pharmacist niece had me take 800 mg of ibuprofen. I feel like new money! !!

Hugs!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America