Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Moving grape hyacinths in the fall but they have leaves!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jimenos
East Merrimack, NH

September 4, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9650404

I would like to move some grape hyacinth and crocus bulbs this fall (second year we are in this house) but have noticed leaf spikes coming out of the ground where the grape hyacinths and crocuses were blooming this spring. Is this normal? Will the plants be damaged if I move them while they are pushing growth?

Thanks in advance

Alberto
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9650612

No, they'll be fine. Just replant them at the same depth. It is normal for muscari to put out leaves in fall.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 5, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9651669

I agree with altagardener and I would also go ahead and move the plants, all I can add at this stage is to dig the new planting area in readiness for any new plantings.
It's also a good time to add humus to the new planting soil as this will allow the plants to thrive for many more years and at the same time, you can split up the bulbs when they are out of the soil and you find the clumps are too over crowded.
Good luck and make sure you don't plant too deeply, the bulbs will have a mark as to where the soil came up the stems, use that as a guide to the new planting depth.
Best Regards,
WeeNel.
Jimenos
East Merrimack, NH

September 6, 2013
10:04 PM

Post #9652975

Thanks! Plant moving starts this weekend!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America