Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Fall cabbage and broccoli and the heat

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vicjova
Amherst, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9650527

I brought some broccoli and cabbage along slowly all summer long and put them in the garden August 20th. One melted away September 2nd. They were watered 9 times by me or by rain from the 20th to the 2nd. I am now covering one other wilting cabbage and the broccoli. If it takes 6-8 months for cabbage and broccoli to grow, but they can't take the September heat when do I put them in the garden? The question applies for the spring also. The growing season ends by November 1st, if I wait until October to put them in the garden will they still grow into December?

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9650584

broccoli and cabbage fall into the Kole Crops category (broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, carots, etc), and depending on where you are, can be grown well into the winter months, in fact they actually prefer the colder temperatures, for autumn harvests, you would typically start them from seed, right now actually. Not sure which varieties of broccoli you are growing, but mine only say about 70 - 80 days, which is about 4 months or so. if given some cold protection, some have been known to hold their own even with a light snow on the ground.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9650585

i keep all of mine in containers, so that i can move them somewhere that they could get some evening sun relief on those leftover extra hot days

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9650748

Which growing season ends by November 14th for you?

Depending on your soil temps, now might be a perfect time to start some broccoli and cauliflower seeds or transplants.

Jump on over to this thread to pick up on the conversation. No need to split threads...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1329220/
vicjova
Amherst, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9650759

Just to wrap things up here about the wilting cabbage in my garden: the cabbage I thought was wilting had its stem snapped by something, only a small piece was connected. I still lost two cabbage in three days.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9651141

Ooooooh...
Jim41
Delhi, LA

September 9, 2013
10:32 PM

Post #9655759

Sounds like you have cutworm problems. Scratch right around the fresh cut plant and you can usually find the varmint.

In North Louisiana, most of us try to get cabbage and broccoli planted out the 1st of September. It is hot but they can take it. This year I watered the garden good before planting, dug my holes and filled them with water and then set the plants. Late in the afternoon, I mist them real good. So far I haven't lost any. I prefer to water in the morning but I am afraid the heat and dry wind would cook them. Good luck.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9656037

another collection of updates: i am really excited about my lettuce and how it is coming along! Should i be thinning out any more or does it look like it will be fine now? Also i have a second batch started. The Arcadia Broccoli seems to be growing a bit faster than the Early Purple, even with being treated the same way for both. And FINALLY i have some Kale sprouts going strong thanks to that sluggo plus, lol. (hope they havent sprouted up too late in the season yet)

Thumbnail by jmc1987   Thumbnail by jmc1987   Thumbnail by jmc1987   Thumbnail by jmc1987   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9656379

jmc1987!

You are gonna LOVE those Arcadia Broccolis! Check out the brilliant blue-green hue when they get much bigger. Great for an edible landscape, too!

P.S. Don't forget to feed them periodically, as they are heavy eaters. Side dress with some compost and bloodmeal (not too much bloodmeal)...

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9656388

i just realized i posted on the wrong forum, LOL, but it works i guess, but thanks for the compliments. I have been giving them a weekly feeding of miracle grow (just barely enough mixed in to color the water), and i have started a once weekly fish based foliar spray feed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America