Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What was late this year?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

This has been a strange year. Lots of veggies are late. After being away a week and returning on Labor Day we saw our first real harvest of ripe tomatoes. Early Girl!!!! The seedlings were planted the last week of May. Eggplant didn't even set fruit until mid/late August. I doubt that most will be able to mature. I decided to post this question when I discovered that folks in Connecticut and Tennessee were have similar experiences. What gives? If you have experienced this, do you have a hypothesis?

TIA
LAS

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

The temperatures were cooler than normal in many places. Plants don't go by the calendar days on the packet to maturity, they go by growing degree days. We're about 800 degrees behind normal so far this year here.

And the soil was just too cold for too long. Either you planted late when the soil was warm enough, or you planted too early and stuff got stunted.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Yes, my eggplant and okra were both later than normal. And we did have some colder weather than usual much later than usual. I had the cool weather stunt my first round of cucumbers.

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5b)

EVERYTHING!!!! We started with a very wet very cold spring, so my peas were late. I had to wait for peas to be done for everything else, and then it was still very cool all summer. I JUST got my first couple of ripe tomatoes.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cucumber even with very strong vines , were and are very slow to produce . Fruit trees liked the temperatures being steady and cool .

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.