Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: What was late this year?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

September 4, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9650700

This has been a strange year. Lots of veggies are late. After being away a week and returning on Labor Day we saw our first real harvest of ripe tomatoes. Early Girl!!!! The seedlings were planted the last week of May. Eggplant didn't even set fruit until mid/late August. I doubt that most will be able to mature. I decided to post this question when I discovered that folks in Connecticut and Tennessee were have similar experiences. What gives? If you have experienced this, do you have a hypothesis?

TIA
LAS

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9650840

The temperatures were cooler than normal in many places. Plants don't go by the calendar days on the packet to maturity, they go by growing degree days. We're about 800 degrees behind normal so far this year here.

And the soil was just too cold for too long. Either you planted late when the soil was warm enough, or you planted too early and stuff got stunted.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9650843

Yes, my eggplant and okra were both later than normal. And we did have some colder weather than usual much later than usual. I had the cool weather stunt my first round of cucumbers.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9650846

EVERYTHING!!!! We started with a very wet very cold spring, so my peas were late. I had to wait for peas to be done for everything else, and then it was still very cool all summer. I JUST got my first couple of ripe tomatoes.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9650852

Cucumber even with very strong vines , were and are very slow to produce . Fruit trees liked the temperatures being steady and cool .

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America