-
AuthorContent
sword1
Houston, TX

September 6, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9652584

1. planted small plant from florida took care it grew
2. transferred it to soil at grade level again am no gardener but tried best to take care fertilizer watering also using neptune seaweed and fish liquid
3 remained same in other words did'nt really go to 2 1/2 ft or something
4 recently and mistakenly sprayed herbicide that i was spraying on closeby plants that seemed to be decaying
5 the night jasmin has lost its lush green it had little else like height or growth and the leaves have turned pale green/yellow

can this plant be rescued how should i dig a separate large hole and put it there what else sand plant food potting soil any other technique even when everything semed normal there was no strong growth over time i am reading in this forum that these plants have been known to become 6 ft high in addition to emitting that fanatastic fragrance

i woud appreciate any scolding if it helps me and the plant

regards
queens
Richmond, CA

September 18, 2013
11:34 PM

Post #9663673

I live in Northern California where I have 3 Night Blooming Jasmine plants. I usually put Epson salt at the base and keep them watered. They grow tall and wide. I have them cut back around November so that they will have time to grow back up again. Also, I planted it directly in the ground when I brought it home.
sword1
Houston, TX

September 19, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9664142

thank you very much
sword1
Houston, TX

September 19, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9664500

queens one question when you say epsom salt at the base please clarify you mean right beneath the bottom roots just before planting the plant
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9664588

If your soil is low in magnesium, then Epsom salt can help. But it is not a complete fertilizer. It is just 2 of the 16 elements plants need. (Magnesium and Sulphur)
Mix a small handful into the soil and compost blend you use to back fill the hole when you plant.
Then over the years scatter a small handful around the plant and water it in well.
At first the roots have not spread much, so keep the Epsom salt (or any other fertilizer) fairly close to the plant.
Each year the roots spread out, so when you fertilize (Epsom salt or other) apply the fertilizer near the outer edges of the plant. This is called the Drip Line. Where the water falls off the outer leaves when it is raining.
While not all plants have their feeder roots in this zone, it is a decent rule of thumb, and gives you a target to aim for when you are feeding the plants.

Once a plant has been sprayed with herbicide it may or may not come back.
Best if you can wash it off immediately with plain water.
Then watch the plant. If it is going to recover, it may stop growing for a bit, lose leaves, but then new leaves start coming out. Whether it will fully recover, or just be sort of weak varies.

What did it get sprayed with?
How strong a concentration?
How much of the plant got sprayed?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America