Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Fressias flower one by one

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 12, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cythera
London
United Kingdom

September 6, 2013
9:28 PM

Post #9652927

Hi guys
I planted some fressia bulbs at the begining of the year I am not sure if it is normal that the flowers bloom lilke one by one or in pair then they die and the rest starts blooming in the same way ... look at my pic if you can ... any ideas? I wanted to have a stem with a row of flowers at the same time! buuuhuuu

Thumbnail by Cythera
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2013
2:06 AM

Post #9653031

Hi Cythera - May I ask what zone you are or what your temperatures are like?
Cythera
London
United Kingdom

September 7, 2013
2:12 AM

Post #9653034

I live in London. we are ending summer time .. summer has not been great and we had some bad torrential rain some days ...
not sure if this also might the product of my naivity and used too much miracle gro plant food some plants struggled to flower ...
thank you Cville!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2013
2:17 AM

Post #9653037

Freesias do like it warm so I think this is likely a result of your climate conditions combined with perhaps too much Miracle Grow.
Cythera
London
United Kingdom

September 7, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9653253

Cheers Cville, Miracle Grow ... i wonder how do i fix the levels of nitrogen, the foliage of my plantas are enourmous but the blooming is poor in some of them ..i was advised to add lime dolomac to counter balance the effects of the excess of nitrogen ... there is not much on the net that i have found...
Cythera
London
United Kingdom

September 7, 2013
9:29 PM

Post #9653769

CVille
In the UK I'm in zone 9 have a look if you get a moment, thanks for helping

http://www.gardeningzone.org/content/content.php/hardiness-zones-uk/

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2013
1:35 AM

Post #9653812

Hi - Thanks for the link. Yes, too much nitrogen will do that. I'd suggest looking at the labels of various products and purchasing one that is at least balanced or with a little less nitrogen content. This has a good explanation, I think.

http://www.care-gardening.com/fertilizer-flower.html
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 8, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9654330

I dont see a problem with the picture of the Freesia, they look's a nice healthy sprig of flower and buds ready to open after the top flower dies off.

Freesia's like and light but rich soil and a sheltered position, to achieve that, you need to add humus to the soil and maybe some horticultural sand ot fine grit the the soil to help with drainage. they are normally planted outside around August / September and should be ready flower by around April / May if planted in a sheltered position. In milder area's the corms / bulbs can be left in the ground after flowering and they should re-start growing again the following June July.

I'm not sure where in London you live but from May to end of August, the whole of UK have had the hotest summer temp's since records began in some places but even if NOT that hot, then the temps have been very hot for most of the Freesia'sa growing periods.
We did have a severely cold winter, again with record breaking low temps but by looking at the picture, I cant see how that cold has affected the Freesia corms at all.

I dont even see over feeding show up, the normal signs are yellowing of the leaves, odd shaped flowers and soft stems but as a good practice you should always read the instructions on the packets or bottles ect, giving more than instructed is as bad as as no feed for most plants, Bulbs and corms normally dont need feeds like Miracle Grow in there first year of growth as the corms or bulbs have stores enough food, and nutrients to see them into there first flowering after planting, the spring after that is then plenty time to feed, use something like Blood / Fish / Bonemeal and fork it into the soil in spring making sure NOT to harm the corms as you fork, use a hand fork.
When you plant corms or Bulbs you should always mark the spot with a stick or cane as they are very easy trod on or dug up when the foliage has died down and they are left underground out of sight.
maybe leaving things alone for this year would allow time for them to settle down but there is no reason why you cand grow these plants in London so long as you give a mulch over the planting area to protect against any further winter frost.

Hope this helps you out a little for future treatment of Freesia's.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9654417

She would know about the growing conditions in your part of the world much better than I. I grew freesias in California which is very different conditions from London.
Cythera
London
United Kingdom

September 9, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9654753

Thanks WeeNeel and Cville this is very useful, yes i think too much nitrogen overall it is the problem on this one and others ... I will leave them alone!
Cheers
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 10, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9655912

Just keep an eye on them as there is nothing worse than THINKING you have done something wrong, therefore you just keep searching for problems when maybe there is none, boy have all gardeners done that at some time or other.
The most important thing to learn while gardening izzzzzzzzz, to relax.
Gardening is not rocket science, everyone, no matter how knowledgable they are, make mistakes and when we do, there is always another chance to do it right, even in it means waiting till the following year / season. and learning where we went wrong.
Most beginners kill more plants by kindness, not reading the labels or just not knowing how to care for different plants, as the world is made up from all different soils, light, heat, rainfall and more, then we all have to learn as we go along, just exactly what type of soil we have and amend it to suit the plants / veg we are trying to grow, a soil testing kit will cost you a couple of pounds from garden store and dont by an expensive one they all do the same job telling us what amendments are required for different plants IF it's possible.
Always keeping in mind that there are as many plants that wont grow in our climate as there are plants that will, we all just learn as we go along and believe me, there is a mind-field of help here on this site Dave's Garden, and also many other forums to search too.
Everyone is most friendly and never be afraid to ask any gardening questions as there could well be others reading your question and are keen to learn the answers themselves, so keep up the gardening and take your time, as the old saying goes, Rome was never built in a day and neither was any good garden.
As winter approaches, send off for any seed, bulb or plant catalogues, there are ones from individual nurseries, others bread only Roses with others maybe do herbs BUT they are a mind-field of info that help us understand better gardening skills /needs so use the winter months to recharge your batteries and give you ideas and help either planting, planning or costing out all for next year, Library and book stores are great for searching info, dont go buy big expensive books and ones that ARE of interest, make sure they are in plain English that is easy to understand, BUT most of all, they have lovely pictures to give you ideas of plants all grouped together. Good luck.
Kindest regards. WeeNel.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 11, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9657264

I will like to know if any one had luck growing fressia bulbs in zone 6.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 12, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9658146

I personally dont know anyone cytf, however I dont see a problem in that zone and IF unsure, you could always do the first trial in a pot, (largish) about 12 bulbs would do in one pot, then move the pot
as required to suit what the recommended sun / shade as given for Fressia's for your zone. A lot of plants or shrubs I try out that way before I place them in the garden beds. It does if nothing else save money as you get the chance to move the plants about IF they are not doing too good and it's better than wasting them, some ofcource are beyond help IF I have pushed the boundaries beyond the plants capabilities but mostly it works IF I'm realistic about the right conditions, after one season of growing in a pot, you do really get the answers for survival.

Hope you can grow these lovely little flowers as they are so lovely, just remember they are NOT all perfumed, you need to select that type when purchasing the bulbs but as far as I know these types are even more tender and My Dad always grew these ones indoors, in a pot, for my Mum, old romantic he was LOL
Good luck and kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America