Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kisa
Islip, NY

September 7, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9653111

I am seeing conflicting reports of Fothergilla's degree of shade tolerance. Some sources say light, some dense. Are there any varieties (preferably the smaller ones) that are more shade tolerant than others? If the larger varieties are more shade tolerant, are they amenable to pruning to keep them in bounds?

I am in zone 6 and doing a renovation of an existing garden. My landscaper has suggested Fothergilla Beaver Creek. The shrub would be going in on the north side of a fence and in the shade of a large, but well-elevated red maple. Could a Fothergilla be happy here? If not do you have another suggestion?

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9671744

I think Fothergilla could be quite happy there - meaning, it should live and grow and flower.

Know that most all plants will flower more heavily/densely with more sunlight provided. Also know that a large red maple is typically a thirsty plant, and your new Fothergilla may need some extra moistural affection to get established and compete in this environment. Fothergilla is not typically tolerant of extensive dry periods.

I have grown Fothergilla 'Beaver Creek' for quite a few years, on circumneutral clay loam. Long droughty weather is what it finds disfavor with.
kisa
Islip, NY

June 10, 2014
12:52 PM

Post #9864583

Dear Virbirnum Valley

A belated thank you for your reply and advice. My fothergilla flowered nicely this spring and is growing and healthy. All after a particularly harsh winter here on Long Island.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2014
9:48 PM

Post #9864972

You are quite welcome, and glad that you've had success with this fine plant.

Maybe you will favor us with an image or two of your Fothergilla 'Beaver Creek'...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America