Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: what prep do I need to grow dogwood

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 3, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9653730

I picked some berries from my dogwood tree and would like to see if they germinate. I have never had a dogwood before so do not know if I need to stratify them, or open the berries and see if there are individual seeds inside. Need any info on this. I mostly want to just do it out of curiosity to see what new things I can grow from seed.
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9661733

I am reading a book I got at the library, called 'Dogwoods' by Cappiello and Shadow. Cornus florida: (the usual flowering Dogwood): plant seeds in fall, cover with sawdust or sand, they sprout in the spring. If cold stratified 3-4 months near 100% germination, but they do NOT say you have to do this. If you have Cornus kousa it requires 3 months cold, moist treatment, with "high percentage success". Cornus canadensis (the groundcover Dogwood) they put the berries in the blender to scarify them!
In Illinois it might be cold enough to just plant them and check in the spring! That sounds easy and fun.
I want a C. controversa 'variegata', it looks like I can use hardwood cuttings. I am going to try it this winter if I can beg a branch from a local nursery that has a huge one in their yard.
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9662244

Maybe you can promise them a rooted cutting in return.Mine is the regular species I believe and is really young I also think. I have been here for three years now and this year it had a nice display of flowers and seeds to follow. It appears to be a delicate tree and is located in a pretty shady area. I may move the seedlings (If the seeds germinate) to a more suitable area. The berries do have a very hard seed inside which I will scarify for sure. Right now I have them in the fridge after letting the berries soften.
fingers crossed. Thanks for the help
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9726688

I just winter sowed my Cornus kousa (first-time). I soaked the seed in hand-hot water, let sit for 24 hrs and sowed with 1/4" seed starter soil covering the seed. In a covered container (Blomma Style) I set it out with 40 other varieties in the snow. Yes, the seed capsules need to be opened.

MLM, I'm very interested how you make out with C. controversa 'variegata' cuttings, please start a thread in Shrubs and Conifers to follow your progress. That would very much be appreciated!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America