Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: What to do with Beards tongue seed

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 6, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9653731

I harvested some of these seeds and want to also try to grow some plants from these. What special treatment and when to start them.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 8, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9654650

Penstemon seeds usually respond well to stratification, that is, sow in the seeds in or on a moist medium, then chill them by keeping the pots/baggies/whatever you use at about 40 degrees F (doesn't have to be exact) for 6 weeks or so; then bring the pots/bags/whatever out into room temperature and light for germination. (Note: Not all species need this but many do.) Since you're in an area with a real winter, you wouldn't do this now... instead, start the seeds in January. You'll need a decent light set-up to do this well... many failures at starting seeds indoors are due to poor light conditions.

Or you can just pot them up and set the pots outside and let nature do the stratification for you. Then, they'll germinate in spring in their own time.

You'd get seedlings earlier by starting them indoors (as per the first method I mentioned), if that's important to you.
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9655245

ty

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9656556

Each kind of Pentsemon that I tried to start grew SLOWLY.

I tried winter-sowing some and they seemed to have failed to germinate. So I set those pots aside. Weeks later when i went to toss the soil out, I saw TINY fuzz that I thought was algae. Nope. Small Penstemon seedlings.

I grew them on in pots for MONTHS, hoping to get something bigger than one bite for a slug. Nope. They were still less than 1/2" tall when i forgot to water their pots and killed them.

Beardtongue (Penstemon calycosus or cobaea?) may grow faster than the ones I tried, and probably I didn't give mine ideal care.

These are the five I tried to wintersow. I forget which ones I saved and killed later because I noticed the "algae".

Penstemon strictus 'Rocky Mt. Blue'
Penstemon digitalis 'Mystica'
Penstemon smallii 'Violet Dusk'
Penstemon cobaea 'Showy Beardtongue'
Penstemon calycosus 'Calico Beardtongue'

The Penstemon I really wanted was a Botanical Interest Western wildflower, P. eatonii 'Firecracker'.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2013
9:29 PM

Post #9656722

Well, I can't say what went wrong for you. I haven't experienced problems like that in growing them on, so don't be discouraged.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9657227

It could be almost anything. It took me a few years to "master" indoor seed starting even for easy seeds.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 11, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9657602

Here is a link to an excellent seed data base. You will find much info on Penstemon, which are not the easiest, in variety, to sprout. I have sowed them. Below is my favorite. Forget the full name.

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/index.htm

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America