Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: Ridin' the pine

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 6, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AdamAgain
SW, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9654844

If your flock is troubled by lice and mites, you might try constructing their roosts using pine saplings–the more resinous the better. The rosin in and on the saplings is a natural, inexpensive deterrent to external parasites, I believe.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9659705

We can always use a few good ideas in that area for sure.

I gave up on natural solutions and have been using seven dust. Not often, but once in awhile.

Ivermectin kills those too, and worms.
AdamAgain
SW, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9659730

Yes, Ivermectin is a good product. We used it for years to worm cattle and cow dogs.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2013
8:27 PM

Post #9660128

Yes Adam. Our dogs had whipworms once, and we had to order it. It worked too.

I just didn't realize that chickens were as bad or worse to get worms as dogs.

I got in trouble once on here talking about how people get worms and parasites too. Still true. I won't go there again though. On fb the other day I made such a statement and nobody said one word to my comment, nor did they click "like". Guess nobody wants to talk about that. I don't know the good of ignoring the problem though.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 15, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9660318

I believe that almost all living things support some sort of parasites. Not all are harmful. If the parasite kills the host, the parasite usually dies too, so the most biologically successful ones do little harm. However we keep animals in "artificial" conditions that open them up to exceptional parasite loads. That is when they need out help. For example free range chickens may not need to be dewormed while those in close confinement may. I seem to be living in peace with whatever free-loaders I am supporting, so I have no plan to deworm myself either...
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9660927

If everyone is healthy, that is a good sign.

It is when we have sicknesses we start trying to discover the reasons why.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9668795

I usually give my hens Ivermectin towards the end of their molting. It seems to help buck them up and get those new feathers going.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America