AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9655660

Here's a Black Mustard (Brassica Nigra) plant , 4 weeks old and blooming , Started from seeds from 2003 !! neat huh..:-)
Seed saving really does work !!!

Thumbnail by juhur7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9656538

Great!

One site says "Mustard : 5-8 years". You got ten years - did you use any special tricks for saving them?

I keep reading reports by people who threw corn or beans in a paper bag in a shed and got good germination 10 years later.

http://www.hillgardens.com/storeseeds.htm
http://www.hillgardens.com/seed_longevity.htm
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9656545

Nice. Seed is tougher than many think.

This isn't seed, but awesome anyway.
http://www.nature.com/news/wild-flower-blooms-again-after-30-000-years-on-ice-1.10069
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9656546

Seed is a palm.
http://www.greenprophet.com/2012/03/2000-year-old-date-pit-sprouts-in-israel/

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9656562

HI Rick . No tricks but they were left in the seed pod , hanging dry on the wall , in a bag .

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9657231

>> left in the seed pod

That's a new one on me, for long-term storage!
And clearly it worked well.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9657241

Quite often old seed can be helped germinate using a soaking of hydrogen peroxide and water.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9657340

Seems to , if any bugs or germs are kept absent . A lot germinated (many) four made a plant ,
Leaving it at two plants out of at least 50 seeds that germinated .
They stored well , only something after was missing , likely me .. lol

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9657449

I agree that a presoak with diluted peroxide can help weak or slow seeds. It improved my results with old Salvia seeds by a lot.

I use a plastic ice-cube tray, and label each well with a tiny square from mini-blind slats, with a number written with a mechanical pencil.

Some people use much stronger H2O2 than I do. I dilute the 3% drugstore peroxide by 1:32 or 1:16

1:32 = 0.1% H2O2:
1 ounce peroxide per quart of water or
1.5 teaspoon H2O2 per cup of water.

1:16 = 0.2% H2O2:
use twice the peroxide or half the water.

You can also water or spray seedlings with this to discourage fungus / damping off.

Or some people use chamomile tea, or sprinkle with cinnamon.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9657489

Yeah, but you can get too many things in your cupboard (like my spices) and pretty soon you don't use any of it. I use the peroxide for watering my plants too. Many years ago I would buy this stuff called "Oxygen Plus" Cost quite a lot, for a small bottle and you put 2 squirts in your watering can each time you watered. I used it on my houseplants. Apartment living.

Well I used that up until a half a dozen or so years ago, Actually about the time I joined DG in 2004 (good grief that's a long time) that that stuff was actually hydrogen peroxide. Can you believe it? All those years of spending all that money? And that is what it was?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9657496

I think I gave up on all that stuff yeas ago , handy in the kitchen it gets used otherwise it's out .
What works , works , Everything else is to much to keep count of , it takes more fingers and thumbs than i have ,,,
I remember those oxygen drops for people .eyedropper bottle , 27 to 60 $'s weren't they?
Yeah I get it ...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9657513

Oh yuck JU. I cannot imagine putting those in my eyes.

My houseplants were beautiful then. Could have been that I put them all in the shower once a week and turned it on luke warm for 5 minutes. All of them at once. They loved it. I guess, anyway they looked so nice.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 11, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9657596

I had a lot of different perennial seeds that I forgot about that had been stored in my garden shed since 2002. The shed heats up, then freezes with the season. The seeds were in their original package, some in med containers.

In 2009, I came across them and decided to see how viable they were, including hardy Hibiscus seeds that I had problems with back then. This years was also the time my son introduced me to what is now called "the Deno method" from Dr. Deno who is the founder.

Much to my surprised all the seeds germinated. Hibiscus in 5 days. Hard seeds were nicked, others just soaked in hand hot water overnight. Then placed in a moist (not wet) kitchen paper towel and inserted in a baggie. Most perennials need stratification (cold moist) to sprout. Those went into the fridge for 3 weeks. They would sprout within 2 weeks when brought into room temp.

If seeds lost their viability with age, we would not have a very green earth. They only sprout when conditions assure their survival. That is Nature's way. My experience proves how viable old seeds are, especially if stored dry. Probably the fridge is best. Never freeze seeds since that is a dry freeze without moisure which will damage the embroye (sp?) inside the seed. Many tree seeds require long dormancy before they will sprout.

1] Hibiscus seeds in paper towel sprouted in 5 days.
2] Datura (moon flower) in 11 days.
3] Columbine forgot how long
4] Scabiosa
5] Hardy Geranium 'Vision'

This is the only way I sprout seeds now, except iris seeds which need fluctuating temps. I don't use Peroxide since it does not work, at least not for me. Nature don't use it. Likewise cinnamon. If seeds don't sprout, it is due to their needs aren't met. Some seeds can take months to sprout.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2013 8:50 PM

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2013
10:31 PM

Post #9657626

Well JU, don't you think they were stratified in the shed, hanging year after year? Winter freezing?

You say probably the fridge is best. Never freeze seeds since that is a dry freeze without moisure which will damage the embroye (sp?) inside the seed. Many tree seeds require long dormancy before they will sprout.

However, most freezers are frost proof now and THAT is dry freezing. Oh well, to each his own. Jen

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9731622

juhur

That is wonderful news, as I just came a crossed some seeds from 2010. I'll give this a try, they are all perennials.

Jan

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9731679

Jen,, blomma had them in the shed , mine were hanging in a dry closet .
I agree , if seeds were not tough , would not be a green planet at all , sand ,clay brown ,maybe?

meadowyck; Kind of like a spring wintersow ,,? good luck .. Old seeds are even more fun when they grow ,, must be a satisfaction thing ..
Me and my mind ,,goodness ,,,lol
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

December 21, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9731932

Jnette wrote:Well JU, don't you think they were stratified in the shed, hanging year after year?

This is a common misconception. Stratification only occurs when seeds are in contact with water and can take it up.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9732317

Brings to mind ; when they mold or get damp and germinate , then you get dried sprouts by the time you find them again ..
Thank you altagardener I was not aware of that ; knowingly of comprehension anyway ..

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 22, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9732339

altagardener wrote:
This is a common misconception. Stratification only occurs when seeds are in contact with water and can take it up.

Correct. Stratification in Nature is combination of cold and moisture which ends the formancy of the seed.

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9732476

Thanks for the labeled germinating seed pics blomma...that's soo cool! This never ceases to amaze me.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 25, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9734412

Mipii,
You are welcome.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9734839

Mipii ~ That is for Blomma's next book...
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9734887

Thanks Evelyn...Blomma, what is your next book?
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2014
6:15 PM

Post #9764004

I haven't had real good luck with old marigold seed.

My seed is in a garage that is dry, cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I don't think the garage gets below freezing much even though temps have been in the single digits this year (unusual).

I have some annual poppies (5 years maybe?) and annual snapdragons (2010). I am wondering how viable they are. I don't have good luck using the deno method on these seeds. I have had my best chances w. seed starting soil indoors with snapdragons.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2014
12:35 AM

Post #9764099

I dry the little Marigolds , hanging in an open bag or tray in a dry place , Leaving then to dry in the pod(as many as will stat in the pod ) Never have grown any real old ones .
The ones I do grow , germinate better than 90% .

I get Snapdragons to germinate , but have a terrible time pot or soil block staring them ..
Zinnia seed head pods hang in the garage , in a bag , they do all right as far as germination,only it has to be hot for them to germinate , definitely a temperature activated seed . Like Sun Only ,,
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2014
8:05 AM

Post #9764308

I have noticed the plants that like the HEAT also need warmer temps to germinate.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2014
9:00 AM

Post #9764353

Besides needing to type better ,,lol ,, It does seem that some of the Easy To Grow Annuals) are much more temperature sensitive , when germinating ,
Much more so than most , Etc Zinnia ,Snapdragon, Poppy, All seem really germination and growing temperature sensitive to me ..
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2014
12:41 PM

Post #9764465

Do you sow your poppies outside, or start them in pots? I thought they needed cold temps to germinate.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2014
2:44 PM

Post #9764524

evelyn_inthegarden wrote:Do you sow your poppies outside, or start them in pots? I thought they needed cold temps to germinate.

They do , usually ... outside ,, Everything I can I start outside ,, I have a bunch of them as seeds , I have got to get planted ,
below zero and 3 ft of snow is slowing me down , So a hole digger and the knee boots , as soon as it is a comfy 20 degrees ?

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2014
4:24 PM

Post #9764584

For poppies, I throw the seed around on the snow. That's annual poppies. Orientals, well their something else. I have really struggled getting some of them.

For the most part, I have better success planting in pots and winter sowing. If I put seeds outside, they just disappear never to be seen again.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2014
7:28 PM

Post #9764715

Birder, you'll have to try Juhur's method of direct sowing and covering with a container. I've done a lot of winter sowing this year but will certainly do more of direct seed and covering next fall.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2014
4:13 PM

Post #9765218

So, where are the instructions for Juhur's method of direct sowing and covering with a container? I have read all the posts Juhur has made on this thread and don't find any info.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2014
4:35 PM

Post #9765226

a few pics. I think a few like the humor of the TP soil cubes , (but, he he, it works okay.
Here they are .My version of Granny's old winter cover jar ..from the old days .

First the cubes , last two in the garden

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2014
4:40 PM

Post #9765227

This is how they look Today ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2014
4:44 PM

Post #9765231

What do you do about watering? They're in TP rolls, in a pan, and covered, so rain doesn't get in, right?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2014
4:53 PM

Post #9765235

I did not remove the lids from the bottles , to start with , the first three pics are me making the cubes ,) following,, there is no pan , the cubes are watered with seeds in them then they are set out in the garden where they will grow .. no pan , nothing under them except earth ,, set them out there(in the garden) , you will see the answer about watering ...

Success rate does not include , Insect attacks , voles (creatures as voles) and various feet (foot stomping)
Other than that it works well , usually plant seedlings sprout and start before the insects do ,(a good thing )

This message was edited Feb 8, 2014 9:01 PM
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2014
5:42 PM

Post #9765261

Thanks for the pics and explanation. I am surprised the bottle lids are left on.
So, when did you plant them? I suppose I could do the same in the early spring when the snow is gone. Gosh, maybe I should say "if" the snow goes away. Wow, we have had a lot of cold, snowy weather this season.

How do you keep them upright?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2014
12:37 AM

Post #9765359

You don't have to leave the lids on the bottles , the earth their sitting on is"spongy" and the wind was strong the day I put them outside .. Wind can catch the bottles when their "no lid" open.
A little mulch to help secure the bottles in place usually works .and still lets plenty of air and moisture in ,
I planted my first poppy seed about December 27 . Early ...None During January ,,,
A few might get planted this month , only below zero keeps me from planting , ( I don't garden when it makes me uncomfortable)
The snow (I agree Lots and lots of Snow) I use a hole digger or shovel , or broom handle (whatever is handy) to poke holes in the snow , set the plug cubes on the ground , the bottles over the plug and cover them back over with the snow .
Watering from freeze and thaw (early in the year) is not a problem here
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2014
6:52 AM

Post #9765528

Ah, mulch is a good idea. Are you planting seeds that need stratification this way? or just any seed? I am thinking it's way too early for me to plant some annuals like this? I need to start saving my toilet paper tubes!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2014
7:07 AM

Post #9765542

Yes indeed , things to do with waste , The tubes mentioned , paper towel , Christmas wrapping paper ,, so on .
birder17 Seeds that need stratification I plant this way , rarely I will try others . I did do this fall planting some Feverfew , Hollyhock, Yarrow, Coneflower, and Delphiniums ,Lost the Delphiniums ,
All the others , though easy they are , grew Great !
Zinnia gets planted when the temps start climbing , mine hardly germinate below 80 degrees . (looking to be a while)

As earlier; With all the snow melt , I don't think any watering issue is going to occur , other than the possibility of to much .. That is here anyway . Anything planted early is going to be off to good start as far as water issues .

We have 21/2 inches of new snow ,so far today.. still snowing ..

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2014
8:02 AM

Post #9765604

I misunderstood the use of the pan under the planting tubes. As long as the mix has contact with the ground, capillary action will keep it moist enough this time of year. Very clever :-)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2014
9:14 AM

Post #9765655

Pfg All is good , You could also set the cubes in these , I use them for a sprouter. etc. used mostly indoors I don't poke any holes in them ..

If you put the cubes in these , you have to use a little chewing gum or similar to hold one end slightly open . Last time I rolled up a little ball of duct tape , and put tape over one end to hold that slightly open , I like them, there easier than milk cartons , and hold more cubes, But, we are back to having to transplant . Which of course if it does not stop snowing here I may be doing anyway .
So this winter I could be defeated for a while , But I don't contest with nature anyway (like I would really even believe I could ..lol

They work great for starting moss in also (no holes in container required for that either ) That is really this containers best use (moss)

This message was edited Feb 9, 2014 1:16 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2014
5:52 AM

Post #9767009

I found the TP tubes a little weak this time , the materials are getting thinner , That was why usually the paper towel or wrapping tubes their thicker (usually )
However tubes are wrapped with old paper this time ,
This is all contrary to what I had in mind as to transplanting and so on ,, as said before ,it all depends on the weather (I've heard that someplace before )

The paper is the clean side of a used envelope (lots of those )

This message was edited Feb 11, 2014 9:53 AM

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2014
9:17 AM

Post #9767125

Love the way you are re-cycling. Creative. Good for you.
Good info.

I have saved info to make your own pots with some newpapaer too. Have I done it?? NNOO
It probably works pretty good. I should look into this.

Just hauled all of my "junk" to the re-cycle center this AM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2014
8:11 PM

Post #9772016

Evelyn...just to let you know my papaver orientalis were started inside under lights...4+ days to germination. (four varieties started this year, Mixed colors, Brilliant Red, Marlene and Coral Reef (took 9 days)).

Juhur, my snaps are up too, again 4 days. Lights and warmth...(four varieties also, majus Royal Bride, Madame Butterfly, Plum Blossum and nanum Black Prince)). Pix is Black Prince from a few years ago spose to only get to about 18" but mine were 36" in this photo... am excited to see the Royal Bride as they are the only variety that is fragrant!!!!!

Sorry that you all are snowed under mounds of that white stuff now...lol. was 62* here today. I'll enjoy it while it's here, (the nice temps.). The mountains have been getting blasted with the white stuff, reports of 2, 3 and even 4 feet of snow in the past week...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2014
6:19 AM

Post #9772164

I don't have much trouble Germinating seeds , My choice has become the outside starting as have a terrible time moving little plants (the seedlings.

WWK; Sounds wonderful !!! Snapdragons here , sometimes they return ,, too hot , too cold , having trouble placing them correctly ,, extremes ... I had some small ones going at the end of last season, I'm hopeful they will return , Tall mixed and a named white , that escapes me at the moment , I have seeds for black prince ,, going to have to try .
I planted some milkweed incaranata (ice ballet), dug through the snow , set the cubes , put the bottles over them , and covered them back over with snow .. I never got the last dozen cans and bags on my outdoor table planted ,
snow ,, snow ,,, and more snow ,,, it snowed three times this past weekend , one not forecast ,, now it's 40 degrees ..bright with all the snow ..
Here also , we have had nearly 5 ft , of snow this winter ,, 3ft of it is still here , be a while melting ..
I've been making soil cubes , setting them on the porch , until I motivate or can see where I want to plant them ..
Might of got to the Delphiniums to late , last group I tried took four months to germinate in stratification ..

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2014
7:59 AM

Post #9772242

I started the pink form of Asclepias incarnata, or should I say tried. Nothing yet but also started the white form Ice Ballet an those sprouted just fine. Not sure what happened with the pink so I think I'll try again. The pink are suppose to be fragrant and taller. Got the seed in the seed trade, sure hope they're viable and I goofed somehow.. Have you grown them before? My white Ice Ballet seemed to be short lived (3 or 4 years). Don't know if that is normal or just a fluke that I expereienced.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2014
8:16 AM

Post #9772252

WWK , not sure , that I have grown it or not ,The incarnata I have , every year , I would swear at the end of the growing season ,that it is not going to return , goes dormant early here .. It is a reddish purple bloom , Red Swamp Milkweed .. I believe my incarnata will be 4 yrs old this year
The only fragrant plant I have , thinking about it is the tall green milkweed ,, They perfume 25 yrds , of area in bloom ,,
My first try at ice ballet this is ..
I always try starting a few of my Red Milkweed seeds ,, (as before about return) My Thalictrum seems to have lived ,
and The Ironweed outside I will be a while finding out about..
I'm thinking about starting a few peppers , and flowers
, So early BF's will have something to eat ..

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2014
8:24 AM

Post #9772265

Is your personal pix the pink variety of Asclepias?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2014
8:32 AM

Post #9772274

The pic , Is of a moth hummer at Asclepius Syrica , Tall green , strongly scented very ..
I've lost the photo original .. Probably on a disc now .. Snapped that this past summer , One of them baby's got over 8 ft tall ,, Every bee and BF I know of was at them ,, The Moth Hummer also , of course ,, That is Neat Bug !!! Looks like a flying Crawdad ,, lol
Three years to let those plants bloom like that , powder puff , about like skates , or winter caps the Gals wear ,,,
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2014
1:34 PM

Post #9772474

My pink Asclepias incarnata is also from the trade, and did nothing before I left last Saturday. Maybe I'll have a nice surprise when I get home again this Sat. But maybe not...

The orange one came up right away.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2014
9:08 AM

Post #9772994

So far I have sprouted: A. syriaca, , tuberosa and a varigated one, (thanks pam). Still waiting on the A. i. Pink. Redid seed and will see, oops just looked, I didn't restart them so will do that today...
Wow didn't realize that syriaca got that tall. Pam how tall does the varigated get?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2014
9:32 AM

Post #9773006

I'm not sure it's variegated :-(. There was no marker in the pot at the nursery, must have been a local grower trying to help the monarchs. It looked just like swamp milkweed, but white. 4'-ish
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2014
9:57 AM

Post #9773020

warriorswisdomkathy wrote:Evelyn...just to let you know my papaver orientalis were started inside under lights...4+ days to germination. (four varieties started this year, Mixed colors, Brilliant Red, Marlene and Coral Reef (took 9 days)).

My snaps are up too, again 4 days. Lights and warmth...(four varieties also, majus Royal Bride, Madame Butterfly, Plum Blossum and nanum Black Prince)).

Kathy ~ Thank you. I will get started on those right away. It did not occur to me to try them inside...only outside sowing or wintersowing...also the snaps as well. A couple of years ago I wintersowed the snaps, and they were quite pokey. :-)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2014
10:33 AM

Post #9773036

Ok, thanks Pam, will mark the packet,(said varigated)..

Evelyn...yup both of those are easy... in fact I need to give my snaps a hair cut and get them potted on... They are some of the plants I put outside early cuz they can handle the cool temps in my greenhouse (s)., if I also need I can cover them with a frost blanket on cool nights.

I picked up a box of rolled plastic at Home Depot, 10x100feet (6 mil) and need to get it up on the back side of the garage (horse stall) and my 8x10 greenhouse. And I have 2 short cold frames on the back side of the house if I need them this year 3ft^x3ftdeep and 8ft long. These 2 will get moved this year so I can maybe finish planting the backyard this year.. Kathy
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2014
11:22 AM

Post #9773062

Yeah, I cheat with my "Square Foot Gardens", since I have no cold frames or greenhouse. My SFG's are 4' X 4'. I have started some seeds in August, and have planted some of them out. The smaller ones are still there, with more rows of sown seeds.

I need to get them ready for spring, and dig out the seedlings and some plants that were there on account of the move to the fenced area due to deer damage. I have since sown more in there, but in only one of them, since I use these beds for veggies.

OK! I had better go now...off to the seeds, I must go!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 26, 2014
4:04 PM

Post #9777454

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_viable_seed

oldest viable seed, according to wikipedia.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2014
4:17 PM

Post #9777462

Makes our 2's and 10;s tiny .. thank you.
Now I am going to wonder how to get Artic Campion seeds .lol

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2014
8:46 PM

Post #9793538

I just germinated some "special" sock drawer seeds from 1988. Who'd a thunk.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2014
11:15 PM

Post #9793555

I will be going through my huge box (under bed storage box) of old seeds. Many from 4 yrs. and older...we'll see. I have been so busy painting my pots I haven't taken the time to start more seeds, and that needs to be done soon!!

Right now the lupines and the beets on the porch have germinated. Tomatoes are waiting to be potted up...so many things to do at once...YIKES!!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2014
9:14 AM

Post #9793806

Lol, 'special' sock drawer seeds???? Are you growing socks now? (sorry just couldn't pass that one up)

Plastic is up on the horse stall area. And should have warmed a bit in there so will begin to move things out there in the next few days. Potting up some things (Peonies, Phlox ). Bought them early enough the sprouts aren't all goofed up, many of the Peonies had 10+ eyes... Sorry off topic...oooops.

Am trying to germinate some older seed of Ecalcarata semiaquilegia, they were started on 2/16 and still nothing... Sure hope I can get a few to sprout!! Anyone else out there ever grown them?
I'm thinking the seeds are about 15 years old...maybe a bit less.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2014
5:14 PM

Post #9794144

The trick with growing socks is picking them when they are right size, LOL.
I was transplanting some hellebore into larger pots today and there were little seedlings coming up under them, so cool, I love lenton rose. I get enough of them I can start planting them in the ground under the trees.
Never heard of ecalcarata semiaquilegia, have to look that one up.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2014
5:22 PM

Post #9794152

I always have trouble with growing socks , They get Tags & Fray , There is almost always hair drag around about a Foot of space , I don't even want to think about "Dampning off" or "mold" P...U...!
and they get holes in what seems their very Fiber ,, Darndest Thing with those .. ???

Planted a couple of Ponderosa Lemon seeds today. Have them in mind as gift to someone if I get them to grow ...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2014
5:56 PM

Post #9794176

Lol...you two are hilarious!!!!

Ecalcarata semiaquilegia= a spurless small flowered columbine, cute tho...sure hope they sprout so I have seeds to share in the future!!!!... (mine are purple).

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2014
7:11 PM

Post #9794236

I'm surprised kathy hasn't grown any socks, it's legal in Colorado. I have to have a special license here in California.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2014
7:17 PM

Post #9794241

LOL !!! LOL!!!:-):-):-) HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA LOL!!! :-)
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2014
8:21 PM

Post #9794281

Kathy would only grow the most interesting kinds, the ones with extra syllables in their names, lol!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2014
8:12 PM

Post #9795046

LOL...are you all making fun of me?????? Or are you talking about that left handed stuff? Gosh am I slow or what??

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2014
8:23 PM

Post #9795052

Kathy; I was not making fun of you , only laughing about growing socks ,, I every time I read or see that , I keep laughing for thinking isn't that the Darndest thing ! :-) lol
I know , that has gotten to be an "old one" by now ...
How's the seed , seedling , room(s) coming along ,
I got to set mine outside today , 67 degrees ,,,
I am waiting a couple more weeks to start most of mine ,

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2014
9:12 PM

Post #9795080

Actually it's the first time anyone has referred to it..(so is my guess correct?) (Me Duh...) LOL!! Right over my head...

Babies are doing good..I really need to get to potting things on tho... My 'maters are begging for new pots... A few things that were old seed did start but maybe didn't get as many plants as I was hoping for. So today found a few empty pots of things that had germintaed but...poof. You know how it is sometimes...Darn LOL. One that I'm trying to get going is Malva sylvestris ssp. Mauritiana Bebor Fehlo. (Royal purple-veined magenta) Packet doesn't say what year it's from but I know it's been more than 10 years since I've had any in the garden. And didn't collect seed...my naughty! So only have about 3 seed remaining.. So far I know I have 1 plant.. not sure if I want to save the rest of the seed for next year or just sow them and hope for atleast another couple of plants...

Haven't put much outside yet.. Those things I got at H.D. and Wally World got potted up and put in the Horse stall area...(Need to come up with a different name. Sounds funky calling it that but that's what it is...lol) Oh ya, also put my NEW... Salix Gracilistyla out there too. ( the other things you sent are tryin to root, some have.. Everything has been sitting in pots, vases and glass jars of water...seeing roots on the Salix interior, nothing on the others but buds are popping and leaves are beginning to sprout,. Hoping I see roots soon!!!!! Need to take some of the Salix water and add to the other containers to help promote rooting... Fingers are crossed and hoping for the best!!! HOPE>HOPE> HOPE Got my peatmoss so am ready next time it warms up I'll pot the others...or should I wait to see if I get roots before doing so? Mr Experience, I need your advise...lol.).
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2014
9:32 PM

Post #9795086

Yes, you... But not making fun, just a little fond teasing. You've grown just about everything there is, why not socks too? If anyone can do it, it's you, lol.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2014
9:33 PM

Post #9795087

Lol Kathy , Sometimes it takes the Mulberry (morus) a while to root , then when they do , if they dry out even the least bit (midsummer) they die , Sometimes they will die for no reason ,
Most will usually live , the Salix interior , need protected for a while from direct blazing sun , takes them a while to make a tap root , easy , but , all those hairlike roots do not equal a good tap root ,
Both of these apply to fruit trees . Keep them evenly moist if you can , most will root and grow . Most people do not like rooting trees because it takes an entire season of attending to them.
Only it is wonderful when most grow and in about three seasons you have wonderful little trees , Some bloom , and some can be made into a variety made by the individual who grows them

I laughed , at Mr Experience ,,:-) All that makes me laugh , thinking , Having been at that off and on , since very young ,, An old joke to me ,,lol :-)
I have a couple salix Discolor that have set forever , the wood is still alive , I am really hoping I get a couple of them to re-sprout and root . That and for every other critter to quit eating them ,

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2014
9:43 PM

Post #9795092

Kathy; I forgot . To the question , Pot them ,, A okay . Keep them moist , not wet .. like under mulch , not as swamp ,
Although two of those will and would grow in a swamp or desert , once they get good roots .
(interior or Morus)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2014
10:34 PM

Post #9795106

LOL, Pam... Yes, I can hear you from here!!!! LOL... and what are you doing up sooo late? lol.

Juhur...Ok, next time it warms up outside I'll pot them up and put them out in the greenhouse til mid May. After last frost I'll put them in the front of the garage where they will only get morning sun...
That's where I put all my babies til I get them planted... Makes watering easier, in summer I water things there atleast once a day, sometimes twice depending on how warm it is... Come fall I'll plant them in a bed on the N/E side of the house for the winter and leave them there for a few years til I see some good growth... Right now that area is filled with many things I didn't have time to get into beds last fall...So still have to move the perenns this summer so I'll have room. I'm soo excited about all of them...but the mulberries will be VERY special!!! YUMMMM! Thanks! Can ya tell I'm kinda partial to them?! LOL.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2014
7:12 PM

Post #9795723

I planted some Brassica Nigra (mustard) outside today Last year the slightly larger plants , from the Old Seeds that started this thread did well down to 20 degrees ,
If they get growing they take the cold , no problem ,
I will cover them if they come up in the cold , covering them a few times will help them get large enough to stand the cold ,
I might not be to popular though , when all the Cabbage white Larvae , start eating all they neighbors greens , lol
But they prefer the mustard and actually stayed away from some of my cabbage type plants ,
Like the Dulcemera vine keeps tomato worms away from my tomato plants , they like their native food a whole lot better ..
Yes I know , the Cabbage white is not native ,,

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2014
1:40 PM

Post #9796206

Most things I grow are not pretty bloomers (eye of the beholder )
Anyway , I planted a Catgrass Variegated Friday night , It sprouted last night ,,
Looking around for Goatweed , Hogwort , Croton Capitatus , Host plants ..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America