Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Hardy Hibiscus from seed...

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 11, Views: 149
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9656452

I have just collected at least 100 seeds from my hardy hibiscus 'Summer Storm'. Has anyone grown hibiscus from seed? Will it come true. I do not know if this is a hybrid, or just a named variety gleaned from selected seed.

I am still going to start a few and see what happens. I would still gain from your experience, if you have grown this or a similar one from seed. Thank you.

Evelyn

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 11, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9657570

Hi Evelyn,
Yep, I have grown several types of hardy Hibiscus from seed. the original seeds I purchased from Parks Seed Co.

All information I came across is that they are hardy only zones 5-10. I am in zone 4 and never lost one. I have 3 different ones growing now.

Hibiscus seeds won't come true from seed when harvested from your plants. The new Hibs are all hybrids. It is one genus of plants (iris and daylilies also) that you can't go wrong with even if not true from seeds.

I have
1] My 3 varieties
2] H. 'Southern Belle' (white, pink) grows 2.5 ft to 3ft, with 10" flower.
3] Disco Belle (maroon) 4 to 5ft
4] Pink 'Southern Belle' 3ft.
5] Very intricate pistil and pollen.

The best method is Deno. Nick the seed then soak overnight in hand hot water. Place in moist (not wet) kitchen paper towel and insert in a zip lock bag. My seeds sprouted in 5 days. I then planted them in potting/seeding mix to grow until large enought to go into a 3" pot. From there, plant outside since you live in CA.

These plants are awesome in bloom. They do tend to start growth only when days and nights are warm enough---mid June here in WY.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma
Click an image for an enlarged view.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9658077

Thanks, Blomma! I will let you know what happens. I will probably do several different methods and see which one germinates first. I think, since the seeds are fresh and the weather is warm, that they will germinate quickly...at least I am hoping...

I do have a good amount of seeds. Then I will rogue out any plants that have green leaves, as this plant has beautiful maroon foliage. I won't care what color the flowers are as they are all beautiful.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 12, 2013
8:52 PM

Post #9658405

I should have mentioned that my Disco Belle with maroon flowers have greeenish maroon leaves quite different from the green leaves of the other two. The stem is also darker.

You are right about the beauty of the flowers whatever the color.

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9659846

Evelyn, I also grew about 50 this past season also with the Deno method. And they did very well. The only problem I have had this year I have not been able to collect any seeds. Have know idea why. But the ones that have bloomed their first year have done very well. And I can't tell much difference in the blooms from the store bought ones. Good luck to you.

Hibiscusmile

Hibiscusmile
Litchfield, OH

September 16, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9661927

I have not tried that, but threw seed out into areas I wanted to grow and it worked, but planting inside did not work, will try your method next season.
judithlf
Macon, GA

September 30, 2014
3:20 PM

Post #9950660

@Hibiscusmile: Your method is what I was hoping to try--sowing directly into ground. I just pulled about 20 pods off my bush and each had maybe 50 seeds? I haven't counted but I have a LOT of seeds, maybe 400? And fresh, just harvested today. So I was thinking to start it in about a 4' square area.. Then transplanting next year.. Temps here have been mid seventies and low eighties for two weeks. Since it is midstate Georgia, it could tip high again. I don't expect freezing for awhile, but I haven't looked it up yet. So I'm thinking take my chances, keep soil moist, then mulch heavily with pinestraw when freeze is expected. Last year I tried to grow some daylilies from seed and was very disappointed when not one came up. I think I left them in fridge too long and they weren't in napkin and were too wet. Ie, turned to mush. I am trying some daylilies again using the baggie with paper towel and I added hydrogen peroxide, 1/10 diluted to the paper towels to keep down fungus etc. But, I would like to plant the hibiscus directly in ground because I have so many. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to make this work better?

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2014
5:40 PM

Post #9950743

Might be wise to wait till early spring. I have always started mine indoors starting around Feb.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 1, 2014
10:50 PM

Post #9951496

Txtea, that is when I started mine also. But used the Deno method after I soaked the seeds overnight.

Starting early, 2 out of 3 bloomed the first year from seed.

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2014
3:49 PM

Post #9951878

blomma I also used Deno method. And yes they do bloom the first year.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 19, 2014
1:31 PM

Post #9961139

i winter sowed some last season and one plant survived , but to my great surprise 2 plants of the white came up in my full sun garden bed next to the establish plant. Next year they may come back and flower.These are the colors I have.

Thumbnail by cytf   Thumbnail by cytf         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2014
3:46 PM

Post #9961220

Very nice. Should do very well next year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America