Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Bonehead Move of this Weekl

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mudbug1960
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9657046

Subject: 5 foot San Pedro Cactus (echinopsis pachanoi). approx 4.5" in diamater.

What I Did: While repotting, I allowed it to fall. approx 6 inches from top, the poor cactus has a cut which penetrates about half the way through. The upper and lower interior cut surfaces has a 1/4" gap. I taped the injured section in a way that (I hoped) would pull the surfaces together, and perhaps heal itself. Removed tape after 2 weeks, and no dice. the upper and lower surfaces are still 1/4 inches apart, and calloused over.

What, if anything, should I do?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 18, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9663494

Remove the top part, allow it to callouse over, then stick it in the same pot if there is room and it will regrow roots becoming a new plant,

the lower parent part will dry out at the cut and probable in several months, grow a new baby from that area, if it doesn't then it will continue to grow anyway. in the desert, animals and insects cause damage to the plants and they survive so try not to worry.
Next time you want to handle the plants, fold a sheet of newspaper or soft kitchen paper and use it to wrap around the plants for protection as you work.
Best regards, WeeNel

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9683027

I think WeeNel's is the best course, but I can relate a different experience. In 1971 we were rescuing and transplanting a 5 foot saguaro - Carnegiea gigantea - when it received a gash from the truck's tailgate. We didn't think it had much hope because the gash was maybe 18 inches long. We just planted it and left it. Then we moved.

I got to see it again 40 years on --- and there was the scar, with the saguaro itself being now about 20 feet tall!

As WeeNel said, the cactus are built for staying alive in the desert.

Good luck.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America