-
AuthorContent
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2013
4:47 AM

Post #9657725

I have had a crystal palace geranium for several years, always had beautiful lime green leaves. All of a sudden this summer I got one branch with dark green leaves. Anyone know why this would happen? Hard to see in the photo, but it's in the bottom left area.

Thumbnail by cindyeo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9659149

cyndyeo your plant is showing chlorosis , this happens when the soil is a bit into the alkaline side (alkaline soils) adding iron or iron sulfate may help you to reduce the chlorosis (yellowing) of the foliage, also the yellowing of the leaves could be due to a deficiency of nitrogen, a bit of organic fertilizer will do the trick.
cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9659491

thank you for your suggestions, but I think you misunderstood the problem. This plant is supposed to have the yellow/chartreuse toned leaves with darker green zonals. Then all of a sudden I got one branch where all the leaves are the darker green of the zonals, there's no yellow green. I'm trying to get the yellow green back. So maybe I have the opposite problem, my soil is too acid? And I did fertilize this plant a couple times over the summer with Espoma flowertone, maybe too much?
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2014
8:50 PM

Post #9872433

cindy,
Sometimes when plants have been chosen for the unusual leaf color, they will revert back to the common color. I have read where you have to either give it more sun or less sun depending on the specific plant. For the geranium, I am thinking it may need more sun. Sometimes people cut out the common foliage, because they want the plant to put out more of the unusual color.

I lean toward not getting plants that have the unusual, uncommon color on leaves, because they are usually more costly, and they often revert back to the common color.

Variegated just isn't very dependable.

cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2014
3:04 PM

Post #9873083

Thanks for your reply, I actually did cut off the branch with the dark green foliage last fall, and so far all the new growth is varigated like I want. So hopefully I've seen the last of that. But I do think my fancy muscari has reverted back to solid purple, either that or the lighter blue ones died out.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2014
5:13 PM

Post #9873196

Glad your geranium leaves are behaving!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America