Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Pumpkins are orange - should I pull them now for Halloween?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 10, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9658646

Some of my pumpkins are bright orange and I need them for Halloween. Should I pick them up and put them in the basement or can they stay in the garden and not rot until Halloween?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2013
10:33 AM

Post #9658875

I don't know, Cat, but I've been reading a lot about pumpkins. My friend says it works better for him if he just carves on a naked pumpkin, w/o hollowing it out.

Thumbnail by carrielamont   Thumbnail by carrielamont   Thumbnail by carrielamont      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9658880

He says: "If you carve the insides, it all rots much faster. If I leave it intact, I can display it for about a week (people seem to like the increasing decayed corpse look by the end of the week). But if I hollow it out, the thing collapses in just a few days, especially when the weather's warm (it's been 90 here this week).
I think the hollowing thing is because everyone assumes it's going to be a lantern with a candle."
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9659021

I'd pick them up, cure them a few days by leaving them in the sun, then put them in the basement. They can rot on the wet ground and if they get hit with a heavy frost they will be damaged.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9659037

Thank you, Doug. Now if I can just find some sun...
The kids in my neighborhood look forward to the pumpkins every year. It is a good opportunity to show them how things grow.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2013 3:26 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9659480

Pumpkins are "ripe" when a fingernail leaves no indentation on the skin.

I have no pumpkins nor winter squash this year, thanks to my yard man's weed-eater machine. It looks like the one he missed is spaghetti squash, not good for Halloween decorations.

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KarensWorld
High Point, NC

September 17, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9662328

Ouch, Darius. It sounds like you need a new yard man!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9662333

Normally I don't have a yard man, always do it all myself, but I've been in the hospital several times this year. Hopefully I'll be better by next year!

You'd think an experienced yard man would know what veggie plants look like, even as seedlings.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9662335

Darius - wishing you a speedy recovery!
zanzarone
Pittsburgh, PA

September 20, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9665654

I had literally many dozens of pumpkin seedlings, proud young guys and gals, growing in the spring..they are so full of life !!! Dispersed many of them to neighbors, mail man, two ladies doing recycling in their BIG truck (they had a temporary 30 minute problem, we had time to chat)...
They turned out to be rather mini pumpkins, I am surprised... sort of like softball size.. I didn't think that is what I had harvested from last year, but I do know that they can "revert" to an older parent... All my neighbors have seen the same result. But believe me, the fun of sharing the growth of these little legumes has been a huge piece of glue to my street, I have a talking point with everyone...
I took seeds to France where I worked this summer... Want to take Buckeyes as well for next year (I was born an Ohioan though I do not live there now) but want to make sure they are not the poisonous type... looking for clear and simple advice on that.
Ciao, look forward to your comments. Rico
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9665871

One year I didn't plant and left the volunteers and had dozens and dozens of "pumquash" . They were shaped like pumpkins but striped like Del Gordia squash and a good size for little kids to carve. They were literally on every doorstep on the block because some people go to work during the day and their porches are ungarded! LOL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America