Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seaofjoy

September 15, 2013
11:16 PM

Post #9661059

*Epiphyllum oxypetalum,Night Blooming Cereus*

I am in love with this plant. It is my first Cereus. I have had it for 6 months and it has been super healthy!
It normally sits in the sunniest spot of our lounge.

However ... today was a super sunny day - and I got home the leaves have gone a bit yellowy brown and super wrinkly (it is normally waxy smooth) - I have misted it with water as I think it is sunburnt(?)

What does it have? and how do I save it?

I purchased special cactus soil for it too :( !!

Help!

Thumbnail by seaofjoy   Thumbnail by seaofjoy   Thumbnail by seaofjoy   Thumbnail by seaofjoy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

lancer23
San Francisco, CA

December 11, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9726300

Yes, they can be sunburned. I wouldn't worry too much but the pot you have seem to be too small and that can make the leaves wrinkled. I have propagated a lot of night blooming cerus and they don't need a big pot but need repotting every 2 yrs. The leaves won't turn back green or unwinkle but you can have new growth and the new growth will be healthy once the situation is corrected.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9727348

These plants are epiphytes from tropical rain forests, so don't treat it like a cactus, though it may like the cactus soil very much, just water more often than you would a real cactus, don't let it get completely parched. As they would naturally be hanging in a tree, or on the ground under it if they fell out, too much sun can be overwhelming.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 14, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9728072

I agree with Purpleinopp, these are like a lot of plants that latch onto another type of growth (trees / shrubs ect) and use these as a way of getting nutrients, water and PART light, they don't want full hot blazing sun and the heat of strong sunlight through glass will de-hydrate them causing the foliage to work too hard trying to shade the plant from the magnified sunlight from the glass.
Just remove the plant from the STRONG sun but allow it to have good light, keep away from winter draughts and away from heating boilers or radiators, Mist the foliage regularly and this gives humidity and removed dust from the pores in the leaves,
As mentioned, give a larger pot and by all means use a special Cacti or Orchid soil mix but after watering, wait half hour and then drain away any excess water from the saucer, they don't like roots sitting in wet and it would cause rot,
Hope we have all helped you understand your plants needs a little and all goes better from now on.
Kindest Regards. Weenel.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9728375

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but this plant isn't parasitic, just epiphytic. It would not obtain nutrients from its' host, just use it as a support. Excellent advice about emptying the drain saucer.

I don't believe in misting but if you want to, please don't do it while the sun is shining on the plant.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America