Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Irradiation to create new cultivars?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 1, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9661973

I have heard that some new cultivars of flowers are the result of being subjected to irradiation, this creates new mutations of your ordinary flowers, making new size plants, variegation, affecting petals, and even color. Selective breeding for a trait could take years, with irradiation it could be only a few generations.

How does one do this, or are only labs able to do this? I purchased marigold seeds that had this done and there were loads of bizarre results!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2014
8:30 PM

Post #9782780

Keithp2012; You would have to read up on Atomic weights , Everything has a decimal weight a PH weight
And a third atomic number I don't remember .

Basic , some metals , distort PH and natural Decimal atomic weight .. ( The example is sort of like metal poison with people )

A Few metals (chrome I remember being one of them ) Change or distort , or absorb radiation , (etc pollution these days ) Like clay does mercury ) .

Use an A or AA or AAA battery a little carbon rod + battery ( like charred chalk ) Small chrome or ? for - Attach your small wires to these keeping your self from light shocks if possible ..
Small amounts of of carbon and radon static that happen distort and mutate cells
Like cathode lights destroying human eyesight in computers .
These statics mutate cells ... same basis with plants .
That is from old science books 50 yrs ago .. the battery part I mean ..
That is how some dead seeds have also been brought back to life , so they say , at least then ,, a few old time thoughts to you

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America