Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: Inedible Figs

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JaneBr
San Leandro, CA

September 20, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9665302

My friend has a fig tree that produces figs with dried up centers. This tree is an off shoot from my tree and is one of many that I have given to friends over the pass years. All the other trees are producing great figs.

Thanks in advance for a solution.
JaneBr

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9665370

Take a look through this list of Fig diseases: http://plantdiseasehandbook.tamu.edu/food-crops/fruit-crops/fig/
JaneBr
San Leandro, CA

September 23, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9667947

Thank you Growin,

Sounds like a fungal infection? If so, what is the solution/treatment?

Thanks again,

JaneBr

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 23, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9668067

I would definitely call the Ag extension office and get some advice on treatment. For your friend, I'd recommend disposing in the garbage all fallen leaves, particularly when it goes dormant. Check the local area for other trees that may be infected. There are dormant sprays for other fruit crops but I'm not sure it'll work or is licensed on Figs. See what the extension office suggests. Also take a look at this description: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html and possibly contact the California Rare Fruit Growers for an ID/solution.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America