Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Combining GIBBERELLIC acid and cold treatment for peony seed

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 10, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rabab
Dearborn, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2013
9:18 PM

Post #9665669

I just receive some peony seeds with a little amount of gibberellic acid and instruction how to use it with the new seeds to break seeds dormant, but since I live in zone 5, I knew the seeds needs to go through the cold treatment, My question is can I combine the acid treatment and the cold treatment? Or I am just suppose to use the acid and keep the seeds indoor to germinate? I really need to know before the frost, and thank you in advance
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 21, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9666334

I would place the seeds in a gibberellic acid solution to soak for a day or two.
Then pour the seeds and the solution onto moist vermiculite.
Then keep them warm---apparently a fairly warm temperature is best.
i.e. about 80F or slightly above.
Keep them warm for three months. Then chill in frig for three months, then back to warmth.

Peonies are hypogeal germinators. The root forms first, but the leaves do not show until the second warm period.

This is from what I have read, and I am just trying this now myself.
rabab
Dearborn, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9667267

Thank you very much CLScott,
I went back and contacted the seller(in china), she/he advice me to keep them outside and subjected them to weather changes, but I do not feel right about it, therefore I am thinking of dividing the seeds into two groups; one to keep in the unheated basement the other in the attic instead of the outside which will give them a fare period of a fair cold and heat cycle and I probably going to keep a couple of seeds from each color into future trial, wish me luck and thank you very much
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 24, 2013
4:03 AM

Post #9668664

Yes, an outdoor treatment with alternating temperatures has been recommended to me also.
The ones that I did that way,--- did not germinate so now I am trying the three month cycles in house and 'frig. Keeping a few of each color is a good idea and trying the different methods is good.
Keep us posted when you get results.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

January 1, 2014
8:07 AM

Post #9738043

These have been warm on top of 'frig for three months,
so now I am moving them to the inside of 'frig.
palestshadow
Beaver Dam, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2014
4:33 PM

Post #9752973

CLScott, Were the seeds rooted when you moved them? My peony seeds were put on a soilless mix in Ziploc bags in early October and left on top of our freezer, where it's a little extra warm in the house, until Christmas. That's about three months. Then they were moved to a cool spare bedroom, even though they hadn't put out roots yet. I've read you should let them root at the warm temperature, but guess I don't have the patience to wait. Many seeds moved to the cool room have rooted and are now being moved to the unheated basement where they'll grow shoots. The ones that haven't rooted or have roots less than 1" (2.5cm) have been left in the cool room awaiting decent sized roots. Sometimes the ones with short roots put into cold treatment will stop growing roots and grow the shoot instead, so it pays to be patient. I guess this isn't really relevant to your technique, just my own experience.

There have been self-sown seedlings outside in zone 5, so that can work, too, but because they're self-sown it is hard to say if they put out roots the first year they fell to the ground or the following year. The gibberellic acid is probably used to make sure they put out their roots the first year of planting outside.

Good luck to you both!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

January 24, 2014
10:21 AM

Post #9754758

No roots on any of the peony seeds.
palestshadow
Beaver Dam, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2014
1:15 PM

Post #9756799

It is interesting to hear about how other people get their seeds to germinate. Thanks, CLScott, for answering. I look forward to hearing about it when your seeds put out roots and shoots.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

January 28, 2014
4:29 PM

Post #9757655

Yes, it is good for us to share info especially on the difficult ones like peonies.
I'll keep you posted if I get any results.
Good luck on your own attempts.
palestshadow
Beaver Dam, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2014
3:10 AM

Post #9777712

The first little shoots are showing up above the soilless mix. There are only a few, so they've been popped into the fridge to hold them back until it's closer to planting time.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 27, 2014
5:29 AM

Post #9777778

Oh good! It works!
I still do not have anything here, but will keep you posted.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America