Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: What's eating my MILKWEED??

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 12, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
whenpigsfly
Willis, TX

September 21, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9666180

No, NOT the Monarch caterpillars!

They're light green caterpillars that are encased in a web, and they stripped several Milkweed before I realized what was happening. Since I've discovered the damage, I've found dozens on other Milkweeds.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 21, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9666631

Well it may NOT be the grub or Pupa of the Monarch but it is some form of butterfly / moth Pupa that possibly prefferes Milkweed to any other plant.

Either pick them off and burn or whatever is your choice of destroying them, I/m sure there will be a spray available from the garden store too IF you loke that method BUT, without a picture to identify you could spend a fortune on sprays and still not kill off the pest, there are so many different types of Pupa /grubs, but the destruction is always the same, There are some that lay eggs on leaf and then curl the leaf in webs to hide the eggs from predators, others curl up into the leaf themselves after hatching, there is a wasp thet lives in the curled leaves which they also curl themselves and feed on the leaf, there are just too many to give a positive ID without seeing a picture.
Could you remove one with the leaf and take a picture, that way more folks can come in and help you more than I have.
Best Regards. WeeNel.
whenpigsfly
Willis, TX

September 22, 2013
12:50 AM

Post #9666700

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I now have two pictures...some of the leaves the larvae are on ARE curled; all of the larvae are in webs. I hope you recognize it and can solve my mystery!

Thanks!
PS: using pesticides isn't an option !

Thumbnail by whenpigsfly   Thumbnail by whenpigsfly         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9666855

Compare to milkweed tussock moth, early stage caterpillar.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 22, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9667110

I agree with Purpleinopp, to remove this pest, you need to remove the affected leaves that are curled and holding the caterpillar inside the leaf and held there with the web's you talk about. It's the parent MOth / butterfly that weaves the web after she attaches the egg to the leaf so it all belongs to the one insect.

I know this sounds like a pain but removing the curled leaves is the fastest and surest way to deal with this IF your chemical free, or uncurl the leaves and remove the green catterpillar from inside BUT, thats an even longer type of work.

Wish I knew a quicker AND safer way to help you out but maybe someone else can come in and help you out.
When I have this type of problem I choose a good day to do it the way I've said and it becomes quite therapeutic after an hour or so, HOWEVER, for the next few weeks after clearing all the bugs and leaves, you need to go back and check you have NOT missed any but it's easier second time around. Make sure you burn or dispose of the grubs or they will crawl along to next door or even back to your plot.
Best of luck. WeeNel.
whenpigsfly
Willis, TX

September 23, 2013
1:52 AM

Post #9667661

Purpleinopp: An online description says...the Milkweed Tussock Moth looks like yarn leftovers! Plus, it's multi-colored - and eggs are laid en mass. This larvae is green and smooth and there's one egg per leaf. So still looking!

WeeNel: yes, it's a one-at-a-time chore, and it's fast losing its uniqueness! But in the process of hunting down these invaders, I've rescued about a dozen Monarch eggs and/or larvae !

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 23, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9667766

Well done you, I'm so proud of you, go girl, most people would have reached for a spray to kill all in the garden that moves, breaths or flies ha, ha, ha.
You will be so pleased that you took the time and effort to work the way you are doing it.
Kindest Regards. WeeNel.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9670061

Agreed. I share your frustration! I have to go out at least every -other day to remove caterpillars from Cannas or we would never see any flowers. Frogs and anoles live in their leaves, and hummers nectar from the flowers that are able to form, I wouldn't use any chems.

Have you searched "milkweed host plant" to find other critters that find Asclepias palatable?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9670150

I'm looking for you but so far can't find it
Tussock Moth is fuzzy
Wooly Bear also eats milkweed
Queen Caterpillar looks similar but has black butt/head
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9670916

Here's something called a tiger moth. The first instar of its' caterpillars are also plain green, like MW tussock moth.
http://livingwithinsects.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/milkweed-tiger-moth/

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9670967

Yes! I think we have a winner

http://www.backyardnature.net/instars.htm
whenpigsfly
Willis, TX

September 27, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9671466

flowAjen: wish we did...but Tiger Moth eggs are laid in clusers and are cream colored. While I can't say I've ever seen the egg my critter comes from,I've never seen any clusters, and the larvae is definitely pale green. Thanks for your help!
morsoruce
Beverly Hills, CA

September 30, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9674317

Well done you, I'm so proud of you, go girl, most people would have reached for a spray to kill all in the garden that moves, breaths or flies ha, ha, ha.
You will be so pleased that you took the time and effort to work the way you are doing it.
Kindest Regards.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America