Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Can anyone explain this to me?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ilv2grdn

ilv2grdn
Cross Timbers, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9666595

I have a 5 gallon bucket full of Narrow-leaved cattails, Typha angustifolia that's in my little goldfish pond.

(Please... don't worry, I know it's an invasive species. I cut them before they release their seed so they can't get away from me)

Anyway, they have produced normal looking cattails for 5 or 6 years now. But this year, for some strange reason, 7 of my 13 cattails have split, right where the seed head is. In other words, there is a single stem that is intact, above and below the seed head itself. The resulting seed heads are complete, all the way around, it's not like they are two halves split apart, there are two complete cattails on one stem. One of them even split into three. I've never seen anything like that before, in my life!

I thought maybe they were facsiated but closer inspection (pic # 2) shows where a small section of the stem did split away, plus the stems are round. Pic 3 ans 4 shows the one that split into three. Pic 5 is all of them in a vase in my bathroom. Does anyone know if there's a way to keep them from fluffing out? I'd like to preserve them as is, if it's possible.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how this happened or what caused it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, cause this just baffles my mind and the curiosity is killing me!. lol

Thumbnail by ilv2grdn   Thumbnail by ilv2grdn   Thumbnail by ilv2grdn   Thumbnail by ilv2grdn   Thumbnail by ilv2grdn
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9666598

don't know why but middle pic looks like a hotdog in a bun lol
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9666599

Hair spray will keep them from fluffing out. I kept some of the larger type dark brown ones for years that way.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9666601

i wonder if this phenomenon is related to their being kept in a bucket so they could not reproduce by rhizomes. Maybe it's their attempt to "get out of that bucket".ie, double the seed heads.

ilv2grdn

ilv2grdn
Cross Timbers, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9666894

DonnaB, lol Yeah, I know they're the strangest looking cattails I've ever seen.

steadycam3 Thanks for the tip. Well, my mom had some in a bucket for longer than I've had and it never happened to hers. But she did however, have to take them out each spring and remove half of them to relieve the pressure, so to speak. They multiplied so much, to the point of breaking the bucket.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 22, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9667051

Whatever is going on with your plant, I think the arrangement is very cool. They remind me of hotdog buns on a stick. I'd divide this plant and have a few of them and see if they do it next year. If they do, you might want to approach the floriculture industry and get a patent.

ilv2grdn

ilv2grdn
Cross Timbers, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9667892

That would be cool!
greene33
Vernonburg, GA

September 23, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9667903

I think a clear acrylic spray sealer would be more permanent to preserve them.
You have something beautiful going on with that plant.

2gardenkate

2gardenkate
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9667967

As with fasciation, plant hormones must be involved. Typha, a moncot, is wind pollinated. I would postulate that something in the air disrupted their reproduction. Did any male flowers appear above the female ones?

ilv2grdn

ilv2grdn
Cross Timbers, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9669528

2gardenkate, yes, every one had male flowers, and they all looked normal at that time. Then I didn't look closely at them for some time. Well, till almost 2 weeks ago, when I noticed the split. So it had to have happened during the development of the seed head. You brought up a an interesting point though...I'm leaning towards it not being genetic. And not all fasciation is caused by hormones. The thing that made my lean away from fasciation is #1, the stem is not deformed in any way and #2, there is an unmistakeable split in the stem above and below where the seeds were forming. On picture #2, it shows the part of the stem on the left ,barely had enough of a cambium layer to bring nutrients to the developing seeds. But the split is not as clearly visible on all of them. This is a true mystery! I love all your comments and ideas.

growin, I will do that. I'll also take some seed from the split ones and see if it happens to them also.
I will post my results.

This is a true mystery and I love all your comments and ideas.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9670074

More analyzing guessing- insects could damage the stem and cause weird growth, but would they get every stem/ the same spot?
Or a fungus, more likely to hit every stem but I don't know if that's really likely either.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America