Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

this looks similar to a spider plant, but isn't. The leaves are not as waxy, thick or long. There are tiny flower spikes, the stick up.
Any ideas?

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it kind of looks like a variegated Dianella. are the flowers on wiry long stems?

San Francisco, CA

it's a "spider plant".

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

trackinsand, yes the flowers are.
Let me look that up.
Barb

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

Chlorophytum comosum.

Cohoes, NY

Maybe a Ribbon plant

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Can you take a picture of the flowers?

Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) flowers are white, and are closely attached to the stem. The flower stem may branch, but not much. The stem may be upright or arch. The longer it is the more it arches. Ultimately baby plants grow on it.
Chlorophytum comosum 'Variegatum' is the spider plant that is variegated on the outside of the leaf.
Chlorophytum laxum “Zebra” is a variety of spider plant with variegated edges, but stays a bit smaller than the average spider plant.
Leaves are often V shaped, with a fairly thick mid rib (especially near the base) and a slightly succulent or waxy texture.

Dianella tasmanica 'Variegata' and 'Silver Streak' have blue flowers that hang a bit from the upright stems. Then they turn into metalic blue fruit. However, These plants get larger than spider plants. Wider, flatter leaf, not V shaped, not succulent.
There are other species of Dianella, such as D. revoluta, that are also available with variegated leaves. Some are smaller, too. Look into all, watching for white flowers. (I think I see white flowers on your plant)

Another plant to look into is Phormium tenax 'Tiny Tiger'
Very similar leaf to the Dianellas- a flat strap with variegated edges. This is a very small Phormium, 12" (some growers say to 2'). Also sold as P. 'aurea-nana'

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

What about variegated flax lily?

here is photo of the bloom. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/361019/

This message was edited Sep 23, 2013 1:58 AM

Melbourne, Australia

Phormium Tenax ... common name New Zealand flax. Very common in Victoria Australia where I am.

San Francisco, CA

Succulent roots on the pictured plant are unmistakably "spider plant" - Chlorophytum comosum

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

That's what I was looking at too, Vestia, though I'm not familiar with other Chlorophytums. If they all have those tuberous roots, that could just indicate genus, not necessarily species.

Bristol, United Kingdom

Try Chlorophytum bichetii

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Ah ha! I think that's it! Chlorophytum bichetii
Phew!
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.