-
AuthorContent
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

September 22, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9667076

Last year I planted tomato seeds and they grew very well, until they were attacked by insects at the beginning of summer. (I was told by a local farmer that it was probably an insect that goes inside the leaves and sucks them dry.) I plan on trying again this year, but would like to provide a netting to shelter the plants from insects. To do this, I intend putting four large pots in a square, place a bamboo stick in each one, join them across with bamboo cane joiners, and then place a netting over them. That way, the tomato plants can be put inside this shelter. My concerns are these:
1. if the netting is fine so as not to allow insects to get through, how are the blossoms going to get pollinated? Will wind be enough?
2. What can I plant in the four support pots that might be beneficial for tomatoes? I wouldn't like to have 4 pots standing around with just compost in them! I was thinking basil, salad leaves and rucola.

Thanks very much for your help!

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9667151

well you wont have to worry much about the pollination issue, as tomatoes are a self pollinating flower, although giving the plants a gentle shake every so often helps them out a bit more.

As for companion plants for tomatoes, here is a pretty decent list of some examples:

http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/12-companion-plants-grow-alongside-your-tomatoes.html
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

September 22, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9667176

Thanks a lot for your help, now all I need is to find the appropriate netting!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9667187

Check a fabric store for white tulle. That's what I use, and it's cheap.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9667268

You probally won't need to worry about insects in the Fall.
vanita79
dubai
United Arab Emirates

September 26, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9670736

Hi monkeyflower and others I am trying to grow cherry tomatoes. Just planted last month (from seeds). How big should the plant have been now? I've got four seedlings planted in a 2.5 gallon container and its got just 2 or 3 leaves per seedling. Is it growing slower than usual?

Thumbnail by vanita79   Thumbnail by vanita79         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

September 27, 2013
12:17 AM

Post #9671270

@ Darius: The garden centre suggested I use curtain netting as opposed to tulle, she said tulle might not be very weather resistant and I might need to change it often. Have you had any problems in this regard?

@ Behillman: My plants have already started growing from random tomato seeds I had thrown in the pots, and we are still in full summer weather at the moment! I'd like to be prepared! :)

@ Vanita79: I'm not really an expert, as I've only been gardening for a year, but I would think it's growing quite normal. They might have a sudden growth spurt - that's what usually happens with mine! Good luck! :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9671318

The tulle I used over my squash plants was only on for a short time to prevent squash borers, and then I removed and laundered it.

I think it all depends on what's available in your area, and how you use it.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9671471

i used tulle to keep the carrot / rust flies off of my carrot plants, it lasted quite a long while, although it can tear easily if you mishandle it, seeing as how fine the mesh is.
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

September 27, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9671622

That's good to know, thanks! I'll see what I find, and what's cheapest!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9671669

Here you go!

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/tulle-fabric/108-inch-tulle-fabric/kelly-green-tulle-fabric-.htm

I bought a bolt of the Ivory tulle last month. It'll last forever (or at least a couple seasons for each piece), depending on how careful you are with it.

Don't snag it! Wash it, and go again!

Linda

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America