SOLVED: volunteer

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

This has sprung up in a few areas within the last month. It has reddish stems, and has stayed low to the ground. At first I thought it might be echinacea. The leaf stems are reddish. I don't see a central stem.

Thumbnail by iowhen
Bologna, Italy

I'd like to recommend a good website for you, which is a professional site for animals/plants/fungi identification.
www.picask.net
Hope it helps.

Melbourne, Australia

Spinach ??

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Dock?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

It's not spinach. The leaves are very large, if you can see next to the chain-link, they are each about 4-6" long. It may be a type of dock I am not familiar with.

It looks more like the echinacea I can compare to in my yard, than the large wild dock. Reddish petioles/ leaf stems made me think of dock, but mine has reddish main veins and green petioles.

"We" have a pretty good track record, but let us know if the other site works well for you.

Melbourne, Australia

I had to Google "Dock" as being a novice gardener, I had never heard of it before. I have changed my vote from Spinach to Dock, but curious to know what the roots are like ?

(Angie, we were all novices once- good for you, stick around and be amazed at what you pick up)

Melbourne, Australia

Thanx Sally, will do !! I love dg !!!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I haven't checked roots - good call. The stems are now turning brownish, and I noticed the leaves have a fuzzy, almost velcro underside. I think that rules out dock, but may rule in rudbeckia?

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

The leaves look like the Rudbeckia fulgida, orange coneflower, that I started this past spring. Could also be, as Sallyg said, Echinacia. I'll try to get a photo of my plants and post it later.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Photo of Rudbeckia fulgida leaves. Plants started in spring 2013.

Thumbnail by 2gardenkate
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

It does look alot like Rudbeckia. I think I'll let them live. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.