Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Red stemmed mystery plant

Statesboro, GA

Hey friends. Anybody know what this is? I think it normally has larger leaves but his suffered an attack of some slugs. I think I planted it (not a weed) and I think it is some sort of edible...but that's just a guess. Feedback?

Thumbnail by walkbyfaith79
Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

Could it be Mirabilis jalapa? (4'o'clocks.) They are under attack here currently, and sometimes have red stems like that.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

My weed pokeweed has red stems. It maybe ate your plant. lol
here is a pic from the plantfiles showing the red stems

This message was edited Sep 23, 2013 5:18 PM

Statesboro, GA

Hmmm good guesses. I am thinking pokeweed is the most probable Either way I think it's going to be pulled up. I just hated to pull up something I planted on purpose and forgot about (It happens more often that I care to admit) Thanks gardening friends!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I think pokeweed too- just saw a bedraggled one in the park, same little pitiful leaves and bright red stems.

Vernonburg, GA

Saw this request for a plant ID on a different forum site and answered it there as 'pokeweed' also.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Sometimes if I see a weed is being eaten over my more favored plants I will leave it . Bugs don't care if it is a weed and sometimes prefer to chew it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.