Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: How to Get More blooms from a Bird of Paradise?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ironwi11
June Park, FL

September 22, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9667469

I have had a Bird of Paradise for about three years. It blooms once a year with only two blooms. Can anybody answer me how or what do I use to get this plant to produce more blooms? thank you
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9667579

I think it needs to be more mature to produce more flowers.
Keep it growing, and healthy and you should see more flowers each year.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 23, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9667801

Hand fork around the root area and add some multi-purpose plant feed and gently fork this into the same root area soil.
make sure it is watered well in the hot dry season, I take this plant is in the garden soil and NOT in pot's, you soil in Florida can be exceptionally free draining so this winter I would add a thick layer of humus rich mulch around the roots so next spring / summer the soil has a little extra help with regards holding onto water as you use the hose or watering can.
These plants can eventually form a huge fat clump and spread way beyond expectations so make sure there is plenty room around the roots area so the plant can expand.
I dont think you should expect a vast improvement on the size for maybe the first 4-5 years then it should just move out and up.
Hope this helps you out a bit.
Best of luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America