Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Watering new transplanted Peaches & Cream and Scentsation

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

kennyjacobs

kennyjacobs
Castle Rock, CO

September 24, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9669230

I've already read conflicting instructions online. Should I water these plentifully? Sparingly? In between? They are about 3.5 feet tall and the potting soil wasn't very moist when I bought them and planted. I planted with lightly moist quality garden soil and covered with brown bark mulch. I'm afraid to underwater and afraid to overwater! :-) Any other info & pointers would be appreciated. I want these beauties to thrive and cover the wall. I also want to add another hummingbird attractor to the left of these honeysuckle to complete the cover... open to suggestions. Thanks!

Thumbnail by kennyjacobs   Thumbnail by kennyjacobs   Thumbnail by kennyjacobs
Click an image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9670056

In general, newly installed plants need much more water than those that have had time to establish. If you see any wilt, add water for sure. When frost knocks the leaves off, it would be unusual for a plant to need water, but I hope someone in your climate would confirm that. If it's above freezing and hasn't rained for a while, I would probably give new plants a drink occasionally. Next year, I would start NOT watering unless I see wilt. The less you coddle, the more self-sufficient plants will be, with much deeper roots.

I could suggest some great annuals for your hummer area, but am at a loss suggesting perennials to someone in CO.

kennyjacobs

kennyjacobs
Castle Rock, CO

September 26, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9670709

Thank you! I'll watch for wilt and water carefully...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America