Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Pruning Cucumber Vines

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
texasbelle
Mid Gulf Coast, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9671559

My second crop of cucumber vines are beginning to look really ratty and aren't blooming much...however, I have seen some new leaves coming out close to the ground. Will new vines form if I prune the old ones off? I hate to pull them out if there is a chance to get more cucumbers before frost (usually in November). What do ya'll think?????

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9671592

couldnt hurt to try, i say

brendak654

brendak654
Anna, IL
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9672219

Usually I get at least 4 heavy pickings of cucumbers and then I am ready to pull the vines out. Maybe a little water with a lite fertilizer of sorts would give them a kick start again. Assuming you are hoping for the finale cux or two.

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9673742

I have had cucumbers as well as pumpkins grow untill they set large amounts of fruit. Then vine growth almost stops and most energy goes to fruit production. Once the fruit has been harvested I have seen new growth and new fruit set.I have never removed any old vines though as new growth tends to take place at the ends of the old vines.

This continuation of growth has been more challening here in the east where squash bugs, squash vine borers, powder or downy mildew usually do the crop in before any new growth can occur.
texasbelle
Mid Gulf Coast, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9673955

Well, this experiment will have to wait for another year...the cabbage loopers got to the vines before I did and totally wiped them out!!!!! (I purchased some cabbage and broccoli plants from the garden center and brought the loopers home.) Oh well, as they say here in Texas, "There's always next year!"

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America