Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think: Hardy Hibiscus Hardy or Tropical?

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You ThinkReplies: 1, Views: 4
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RhollMass
Saugus, MA

September 27, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9671583

I have two hibiscus plants that I bought.

One bloomed beautifully until early September and now the leaves and stems look healthy, but no blooms for past three weeks. Only gets two and a half to three hours tops of sun now, due to the seasonal path of the sun and the trees around my house. I don't have a better place to plant it. This hibiscus is named "cordials cinnamon grappa" according to the flower tag. It does not say if is hardy or not. Although a search of the Internet did produce a website saying that it is indeed a "Hardy" version.

My second is a hibiscus, kopper king, which had only one flower when I bought it. I took it out of its pot, mixed some Scot's, Humus/Manure with the dirt and the plant flower dropped off after a couple of weeks and it stopped blooming altogether. The leaves turned yellow and dried up. Seen a website saying scratch the stem and if it is green underneath, it is still alive. Is this correct?

It is September 27th, I live in Massachusetts, Zone 6. Should I cut these plants back after the first frost? One website, I seen said not to prune in Late Fall, but the same website said to cut it back to "6 inches."

Pictures are both plants as they are now on September 27th, 2013. The drooping one is the Kopper King.
RhollMass
Saugus, MA

September 27, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9671593

Please excuse me. I am new to this website and I am not sure how the uploading of pictures work here. I thought that I had already put them in my previous post but they are not there.

My previous post titled Hibiscus "Hardy or not" now has no pictures. Sorry.

The healthy looking one has did fine for past 8 weeks. Stopped producing flowers in early September. I think it is because it now only gets about 2-1/2 hours of sun per day. Picture shows that it is still nice and green and healthy looking except for blooms.

The second picture shows the kopper/king, which bloomed for a week or so, after transplanting from container to small shallow garden. It has looked like it does in the picture for about six weeks now. Droopy. It only gets 2-1/2 hrs of sun daily. No sunnier place in the yard to plant it. I stopped fertilizing, because the man at my local nursery told me to do so. He said the plants are getting ready for winter, so don't fertilize anymore. He also said that the kopper king was suffering from stress and that's why it has wilted and has the dried leaves. I checked for pests. Never saw any, except earwigs.

Thumbnail by RhollMass   Thumbnail by RhollMass         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Hibiscus--Hardier Than You Think Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Article oriole 31 May 27, 2008 12:37 AM
HARDIER THAN YOU THINK rickhead 1 Feb 11, 2008 1:29 PM
I love them too! suefalls 2 Feb 12, 2008 4:13 AM
I think they are wonderful tina61 1 Feb 11, 2008 9:32 PM
Hardee Hibiscus karen_cajun 5 Jun 28, 2010 8:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America