Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Germination

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

September 28, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9672189

I live in a Mediterranean country and we are still in full summer weather (average. temp. of 27 Deg C / 80 Deg F). I planted some seeds a couple of weeks ago (speedy salads, rucola & parsley) but only a couple of speedy salad seeds have germinated. In winter my germination success rate is almost 100%. Does anyone else experience the same problem in hot weather? We have a very long hot summer and I haven't planted anything since last winter. So I'm itching to get things going again! 2 weeks ago temperatures went down slightly, but now they've gone up again.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9673457

I wonder if the seeds are drying out faster in the heat?
bluetexasbonnie
Geronimo, TX

September 29, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9673673

I tend to have the same problem here in our hot Texas summers. As Diana suggests, I suspect my problem is that in the heat, I just can not keep them damp enough for germination. It is possible that they do not germinate well at high temps.

I do know that when they fail to germinate at the end of summer, that pot rarely has anything come up later when the temps are milder.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9674266

What's your soil temperature. I assume it's in the sun. If the temperature is above 90F you'll get no germination for parsley.
Here is a good chart.
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html
bluetexasbonnie
Geronimo, TX

September 30, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9674287

Thank you for the handy chart.

I was very aware that there were minimum temperature for germination, but this is the first time I have seen a chart with max temperatures. So nice to have both in one place. Printing this out and gluing it to the front of my garden notebook.
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

September 30, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9674301

That's very helpful thanks!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9677241

Lettuce germination is slower or non-existent for many varieties above 75 F = 24 C. Maybe you need a "summer" lettuce variety instead of "speedy" varieties.

I found it very helpful to set up an "irrigation" system with 1/2" and 1/4" hoses and some mini-jet sprayers. (12 mm and 6 mm) They moisten the surface uniformly without disturbing the surface.

I had it on a "wind-up" timer so I could set it for 10-15 minutes and walk away. For a few days, i did that twice per day to keep the surface moist. Even so, it had dried out by the time I came home form work, and only two varieties out 6 germinated well.

MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

October 6, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9679303

I've realized it's best not to even try germinating lettuce in summer, it's too hot!
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9680196

Lettace is a cool weather crop. It will not grow in the summer.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9682516

>> It will not grow in the summer.

I'm sure you're right about TEXAN summers!

Here in the PNW, some varieties are said to be 'summer lettuce". I don't know yet.

But
'Merveille des Quatre Saisons' and
'Flashy Trout's Back' = 'Forellenschluss'
did well when I started them on August 4 in partial shade.

Other varieties, not much came up. That might have been soil temperature or might have been my heavy soil and weeds jumping up faster than the lettuce did.

Similarly, there are "winter lettuces" for Zones 8 and 9 ... but not for Zones 4 and 5, not without plastic cover.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America