Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: What's that Bug? Chauliognathus pensylvanicus: the Soldier Beetle: Thank You!!

Communities > Forums > Article: What's that Bug? Chauliognathus pensylvanicus: the Soldier Beetle
bookmark
Forum: Article: What's that Bug? Chauliognathus pensylvanicus: the Soldier BeetleReplies: 5, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9672356

Melody, Thank You so much for your wonderful, informative article!! Every gardener needs to know about the "Good Guy" insects.

I first noticed Soldier Beetles last summer on my Gaillardia. Of course my first thought was, "OH NO, something else to destroy my plants, so I took several pictures and posted on the "Insect and Spider ID" forum. Because Flapdoodle was so quick to respond, I learned I had a new "Friendly" in my garden. Thrilled, I immediately posted my pics and comments in BugFiles.

Every day I'm reminded just how fantastic this community of knowledgable members is!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2013 8:52 PM
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9672631

Ditto on the thank you for taking time to tell us about this bug. This is my next year goal--to learn more about bugs-good guys and bad guys.

I have had a beetle very similar to this that desiccates my Anenome in the fall. Any ideas what that might be? I did not take a picture.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9672745

You really should take a picture and post on the Insect ID forum. People are so helpful there. Whenever I find out the name of a new bug, I label my picture with both the name and whether it's good or bad and add it to my "Bug file". That way I remember for the future without looking for my old threads.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9673033

Good idea nutsaboutnature! Everyone should have a working knowledge of the various insects in their own area.

Birder17, yes the ID forum is probably the best place to ask. Even if you don't have an image, you might get an ID. If not, just remember to snap a shot of the critter next year when it shows up.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9674013

Yes, I do a lot more taking pictures. When I had these bugs, I didn't have a camera that would work with computers, nor did I know how to down load pictures at that time. Now, I take quite a few pictures. I have found it to be very rewarding.

I really like the ID forum. It's really difficult for me to try to narrow down a research on my computer and then, I am not sure I have the right bug identified. Posting on the ID forum is much quicker and more accurate.

So, Melody, back to this article. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with the rest of us.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9674059

Thanks, again, Melody!!

Good luck with the ID's, birder17!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What's that Bug? Chauliognathus pensylvanicus: the Soldier Beetle Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Awesome Article! themikesmom 1 Sep 29, 2013 6:21 AM
Request! bariolio 3 Oct 6, 2013 5:57 AM
bug files appcraft 1 Oct 4, 2013 7:38 AM
Great article, great information! mensamom 1 Oct 7, 2013 7:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America