Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Pruning rose bush

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Aussieinlondon
London
United Kingdom

September 29, 2013
4:52 AM

Post #9672966

Hello,

I have moved into this property and there are two large rose trees out the back. I dont know what type of rose it is and there are no flowers. It looks overgrown and there are red rosehips on it. Its autumn here in london and frost hasnt set in yet. Can i prune it now? How do i prune it and how much do u cut off? Please help i have no idea what im doing and would love to see some roses haha when will it flower do you think? Is there a way i can identify which type it is? Also the leaves are yellowing and some are brown..is it sick?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by Aussieinlondon   Thumbnail by Aussieinlondon   Thumbnail by Aussieinlondon   Thumbnail by Aussieinlondon
Click an image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 29, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9673211

Actually, it looks much too heavily pruned, rather than "overgrown". As suckers come up from the base, allow them to grow. Then, as the leggy base fills in, you can eventually (in a year or two?), cut off the old, naked trunks.
Depending on its lineage, it may simply be losing its leaves in fall, as roses that have a dormant period will do.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 30, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9674359

Looks like the rose BUSHES not tree's are very badly neglected, the tallness indicates they are being over-shadowed by the background trees a bit causing the Roses to grow upwards to try get some light HOWEVER, on saying that, there are some Roses that grow much taller than the normal Bush type Rose.

For this year only, I would prune the stems way back down to about 8 inches from the bottom of each stem / branch. the proper way to cut the stems is at an angle, slant each cut so that any water / rain cant lay on the cut / wound, this will allow disease to enter the cut before it healing begins.

After pruning, gently fork over the soil, remove any fallen diseased leaves and either bin or burn them along with the wood removed from the plants as you have some black spot on the foliage.
This Black Spot wont kill the Rose but it spreads and becomes un-sightly causing the foliage to drop, the reason to gather all the fallen leaves and branches is, the Black-Spot disease over winters in the soil where the fallen leaves are and this begins the disease to keep going.
Next add a handful of Blood/fish/ bone meal and rake/ fork this into the soil around the root area, this is a slow releace feed and is great as a tonic over the winter months for Roses, Dont know how long you have been here in UK BUT everywhere may NOY get a winter ground freeze, your garden looks quite well sheltered by tree's, fencing and maybe other property so just keep an eye on the ground as winter creeps in.

Next spring, do another tidy up, look out for new shoots on the Roses, pay attention to any different looking stems with bright green leaf as this may be an indication that there has been damage at the root area and this has caused the plant to send out shoots from a wild Rose as some type of Roses are grafted onto wild/ Rambler Rose stock, IF that were the case, you would need to remove this type of growth BUT, you don't have to worry about all that till you find it has happened.

Come spring, IF there has been a very severe frost, then some shoots may be damaged and you would just prune these out like before BUT as I said, the bad freeze might NOT happen.

Hope this has helped you out, IF come spring there is NOT enough sunlight getting onto the Rode bed, you might have to think about cutting some LOW branches from the other larger plants OR move the roses but that's for another day.
Good luck and take your time to learn, stay on site if you need more help and take care.
Best Regards. WeeNel.
Aussieinlondon
London
United Kingdom

October 1, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9675289

Thank you both so much. Thanks for the putting it simply for me Weenel. I am an absolute beginner and keen to make this garden healthy as I think it's all been neglected and just used for growing veggies. I will get to work this weekend and hopefully I can bring this rose back to life by next year. =)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 1, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9675309

Depending how long ago the garden was used for growing Veggies, it may well be a sign that the garden soil is quite fertile and IF you want to try your hand at gardening, then good soil is a great start for Bulb's, perennial plants, and annuals the latter grow from packets of seeds sewn in March / April, these germinate, then grow and flower all in one year, they die off in Autumn, the Perennials grow from seeds, root cuttings, or small bits of the parent plants with a little root attached and they grow on in pot's till large enough to grow outside, there grow year after year, die down in Autumn and re-sprout in spring for another year of flowering, Bulbs are planted spring to flower the same year and die down Autumn and return Spring, or plant end of summer for growing / flowering in spring, before you know it you will be enjoying out door life, growing things and learning a new hobby, Veggies are also great to grow and eat your own products, go on, give it a go.
Best Regards. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America