Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Iris borer

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Yorkvilleknit

September 29, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9673640

I have iris borers. What do I do about them? Is it too late if I have to dig them up, to replant. I'm in zone 5.
Thank you!
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2013
8:50 PM

Post #9673751

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/e122irisborer.html

I am not sure if I would dig them up then replant now. If your weather is getting too cold for the females to be active, then definitely do a really thorough clean up. This could include digging them up and sorting the good from the bad. I would not replant, though.
If you decide to dig them up, then replant when the weather is better. Overwinter them in some sawdust or peat.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 30, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9674319

Can you be a little more specific about the type of Iris you have, there are many types, it would also help to know why you need to dig them u all up now ??????.
Is the border too over grown,
Is it needing thinned out a bit and some plants / Iris discarded.
Have you just recently taken over this border.
You dont say why the plants need lifting and maybe they dont , some new to gardening think all plants need lifting.

Can you throw a bit more light onto the problem with the Iris as the wrong info can be as bad as no answers at all.
I don't see zone 5 being a problem for Iris BUT agree with Diana that replanting them is getting a bit too late as these tubers need shallow planting to get the best flowers, so frost could get to the tubers of new planting's.
Sometimes the Iris tubers can grow too large and they require splitting up and discarding the older INNER section But spring would be best time even for that type of care.

Get back if you can with more info, then maybe better help can be given.
Best of luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America