Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: Large shrub, white blossoms, NC

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
grayfather
Raleigh, NC

October 1, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9675000

Not sure what this plant is. Offered it as a donation to my yard. Would like to adopt but want to know more about it's needs (sun, water, max height/pruning, bird food?). It is now about 12 feet tall, has been cut back in the past. It has multiple thin trunks, about 2" in diameter. It now (October) has red berries turning to black. And I am told that the blooms were white. Any help appreciated.

Thumbnail by grayfather   Thumbnail by grayfather   Thumbnail by grayfather   Thumbnail by grayfather
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9675009

Could be a viburnum but if dmail shots to DG member viburnumvalley he will tell you for sure. Or if it is somehing else he will most likely know its ID. Patti
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9675012

[quote="bbrookrd"]Could be a viburnum but if you dmail shots to DG member viburnumvalley he will tell you for sure. Or if it is somehing else he will most likely know its ID. Patti[/quote]

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9675015

is it a gardenia, or camellia? i'll take picks of mine
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9675029

Definitely not a gardenia or camellia. Leaves on those two are shiney and dont have that wrinkled? look.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9675570

Patti (bbrookrd) - who is so accurate she quotes herself - has hit the nail on the head.

AND - I demand more images of the whole (intact) plant, instead of only snippets. This plant deserves no less.

That is certainly a Viburnum (note opposite foliage, clasped leaf buds, exposed/naked terminal flower buds). It most favors Viburnum rhytidophyllum, but it might also be Viburnum x rhytidophylloides. More images should ascertain that answer.

I have my doubts about a successful transplant of a plant that has been cut back in the past and is now 12 feet tall with 2" caliper stems. You are welcome to take heroic efforts, but in Raleigh NC you could buy this as a 5 gallon pot or maybe a 48" balled and burlapped specimen, and it would grow to that 12 foot size in a few short years.

I think you'd be hard pressed to get sufficient roots while transplanting that large a shrub, and all you'd do is watch it die back a lot and produce new basal suckers trying to regenerate. BUT - I also appreciate the prospect of "a free plant." At least it's a Viburnum...can't have too many.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9675956

You accurately caught me trying to edit my text as in the first one the word, "you" is missing. so it didn't make sense. I had intended to just edit in in sito, but I some how got a second post. But I should get some credit for at least assuming it was a Viburnum.

I need to move a couple of small ones this week. Viburnum plicatum f. tom. 'Weeping Magic' & Viburnum x burkwoodii 'Conoy & maybe Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum Summer Snowflake
which is blooming now. Odd? Sorry to hijack this thread, but I knew you would pop up to solve all Vib ?. Patti
grayfather
Raleigh, NC

October 2, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9676031

answer from bbrokd was appreciated (twice) and also hardy confirmation from ViburnumValley. I will post full size pics soon - the donor site is distant. Hmmm, buying a plant - hadn't thought of that in the last ten years I have been collecting hundreds of orphans and bringing them home ;) You might be onto something.. Nah, that would be too easy - it is a labor of love :)

Question: the target spot I have picked out is a border/privacy berm - which has my side sunny and the neighbor side deep shade. Ligustrum, Cryptomeria Japonica, and various hollies are doing okay there. Will the viburnum like it?

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9676502

bbrookrd:

You should be fine to move small Viburnums this time of year (cool, moist weather). I'd make sure that the plants are turgid before you dig, and then keep them moist till dormancy.

As far as the location chosen for the big Leatherleaf: some sun will be just peachy for this plant.

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2014
1:27 AM

Post #9931158

Looks like my Allegheny Viburnum.
Have mine in partial shade. Stays green in winter and mine has bloomed 3 times this year. Took a beating last winter but survived. I have to trim about 3 ft off of it each year to keep it down.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2014
6:14 AM

Post #9931249

"I have to trim about 3 ft off of it each year to keep it down"

Sounds like it was planted in the wrong spot. That is a lot of pruning!

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2014
7:36 AM

Post #9931303

Diana, Yes maybe, but I am trying to keep it bushy and it wants to grow up. Probably because it is in mostly shade. It shoots up branches after the first bloom in the spring, I don't have a problem with trimming it back below the eye level of our deck. It seems to be filling out better now.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America