Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cojolo
Homer City, PA

October 2, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9675841

I currently have this planted in a large container on my patio. It is the first year that I have had it.
I would like to know if I can replant now into the ground, or can it be moved indoors for the
winter? Thanks!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9675864

Hi -- Yes, you can. A better place to get questions like this answered more quickly is found here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/b_gardentalk/all/

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 2, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9676154

If you act fast and get the Butterfly Bush into the garden soil NOW before any colder nights arrive, it should be fine, give it a prune before you remove from the pot, don't scalp it but maybe cut the tallest stems down by half, when settled into new position water well, it should be a sunny or good light place where the flowers will be awash with lovely insects of all types by next summer, Also to protect to root area from frost, give it a good thick mulch of leaf-mould about 3 inches deep is enough IF your district gets ground freeze in winter.
Next spring, when you find new leaf shoots on the stems, you can give the real tidy prune, IF the plant is NOT too leggy, leave the prune fore end of year or following spring as I feel sure you really want to get flowers as soon as possible,
Hope it all works out for this lovely plant.
Best of luck, WeeNel.
cojolo
Homer City, PA

October 4, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9677813

Thanks so much! I will be doing that this weekend :)
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

October 4, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9677837

I have a butterfly bush that I left in a plastic pot placed within a clay pot (so wouldn't blow over) that I bought last summer and just chucked over to side lawn at end of season. Was I surprised when this spring it started growing back despite total neglect on my part. Granted, I live in a warmer climate, but we did get a couple of snows last winter and I had done nothing to protect it. Maybe this time I'll have it in the ground. It's small but blooming nicely. Good luck!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 4, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9677922

These plants are generally as tough as old boots and don't ask for a lot, just a bit of ground, a small amount of water, and some TLC don't go amiss LOL.
Just enjoy. Remember, they can seed all over the place IF they like what you have to offer. ha, ha, ha.
Best Regards. WeeNel.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9677926

Yes, Butterfly Bushes are like that. :)
AnnFran
East Greenbush, NY

October 6, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9679634

Thanks for the help with my pale sedums. Will give them one more season with lots of nutrition and see if I can perk up the color...but maybe they are just generically pale!!!!! And if so, off they go to the nearest charity plant sale. AnnFran
jhonpeeter64

February 22, 2014
2:46 AM

Post #9774142

The Butterfly Bush into the garden soil NOW before any colder nights arrive, it should be fine, give it a prune before you remove from the pot.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2014 10:03 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America