Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 3, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9676991

I bought 2containers of ranunculus in spring they had beautiful blooms ,then they withered and dried up . I knew they require sun so I left the containers in full sun, now they are springing up.Should I leave them there all winter or put them in the basement, or will they bloom in the fall.Thank you for any advice
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 3, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9677243

Hi cytf, not sure what type of Ranunculus you have (they are part of the Buttercup family, and here in UK, the majority of these plants begin flowering in June, July, August.

Do you know which type you have, are they the bright coloured ones that grow from little claw shaped tubers / corm, are they cup shaped flowers Yellow, growing from bulbs,or some other type.

wish I could help you out better but maybe move them to a cooler area but sheltered from winter freeze IF you get that in your area. next year I would plant them out in the garden soil if you can as they are really perennial border plants.

Hope someone else can help you out better than I have done.
Good luck and best regards.
WeeNel
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 4, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9678010

Hi WeeNel, I saved the tag from the plant it is Persian Buttercup (ranunculus asiaticus)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 5, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9678341

Oh Good for you, don't know how many times I promise to keep the tags and low-behold, following year they are no where to be seen, I think I have a label fetish squirrel who thinks it's his duty to run off with my info LOL.

You type of Ranunculus is NOT very hardy in areas where there is very low winter temps, to be on the safe side, I would bring the containers inside for winter should they be set in a really cold area of garden, the other thing you could try is to insulate the pots by wrapping the pots in the plastic BUBBLE wrap we use for fragile items we wish to store or send via post.
After you wrap the pots, place a layer of leaf mould or the likes over the top of pot so the hearts of the plants are also protected
My knowledge for the type you have, (bright coloured and very nice as cut flowers as they last longer than most) you replant them outside when spring is ending and summer has nudge it out the way as the weather starts to warm up BUT cytf, I really don't know what your winters and springs are like, our's here in UK are way to pot temp wise and so unpredictable over the last 6-8 years so I have to go with how the weeds are germinating from seeds and that tells me the soil has got warm enough to get my more tender plants out from winter protection and placed in a more bright place or if in the soil, remove a little of the mulch.
Over the years I have went more with the signs that nature sends out to us rather than a general wording on a packet as plants are costly and over the years I've used the written packer directions as a way to go BUT also lost many plants.
Maybe I would have lost them any way but as you get older and many years under your belt watching nature, I think nature MOSTLY has a better handle on what's going to spring into growth and what wont, also what needs protection regardless of the packet telling us otherwise BUT hey, we all learn our own lessons EH !!!!

Hope my own info helps you out and I would add, always err on the right side as a lot of plants get lost because we feel we need to push boundaries beyond what tender plants can honestly cope with.

Hope all goes well for you and these lovely Oriental plants bring lot's of pleasure next year.

Best Regards. WeeNel.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 5, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9678673

Thank you WeeNel for the info. I was wondering if I can treat them like begonias because I have luck keeping begonias. Our winters go to about 20 deg F and in really bad winters as low as 5 deg F but my backyard garden beds receive full sun and I get lots of plants to reseed.Hope you get a mild winter this year and you can have a nice garden next year,
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 6, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9679413

I'm not sure the type of begonias you have, I use the ones that are tubers, restart in spring and flower on till frost blackens or wilts all the foliage, then take in-doors, cut the foliage off and allow the soil and tubers to dry out like I say till new shoots appear early spring when water is given VERY sparingly, once they begin showing signs of further growth, they are ready to go into nice new fresh soil in containers, I cant grow them in the garden soilas our weather can become really wet for too long a period that tubers like begonia that have to be set more or less half in / out the soil, the wet rots the tubers.

As for the Oriental Rununculas, these can stay out so long as I give them a good covering of leaf mould or compost about 3-4 inches and scrap away come spring because the claw shaped little tuber / corms of Rununcula's are buried about 3-4 inches deep.
Please remember I give the methods I use BUT, I don't have deep ground freeze here, I have different winter prob's like killer salty winds that strip the foliage or even kills the tips of branches and some occasions the bark from shrub's and tree's, the salt burns some of my plants too as I live right on the coast at the top of a cliff, beautiful scenic and ever changing vies / outlook so just to confuse even more, cytf, I always recommend erring on the right side and IF you know on occasions you get severe GROUND frost, then lift the tuberous plants and store in cool /dark but frost free place, in boxes of sand or fresh compost, don't water at all but lift free from compost / sand and just check them over say every 2-3 weeks and you will never go wrong.
Hope this covers most eventualities but if not, please keep asking, we all want you to succeed.

Best Regards and good luck.
WeeNel.
jhonpeeter64

February 20, 2014
1:37 AM

Post #9772777

You get a mild winter this year and you can have a nice garden next year. restart in spring and flower on till frost blackens or wilts all the foliage.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America