Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Pulled Carrot too early?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 21, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9678606

I am growing "Black Knight" carrots this year, when i pulled a "test carrot", this is what came out. um, not "black" at all, lol. I do know that they are a white cored variety though. Im betting i pulled too early didnt i? (darn foliage can be so misleading!) However since i understand that once you pull it, thats it--no putting it back in the hole, so i just decided to wash and eat it...quite fibrous, spent a few minutes picking bits out of my teeth, lol!

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

October 6, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9679218

Carefully move some dirt away from a few others, just enough to see the tops. The tops look healthy to me. Did they get enough water all season? Food?
jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9679391

thats what i did with this one, removed some of the dirt around to see the top of the root, as you can see, the top of it was the color that it was supposed to be, and being as that was all that i could see of it i thought "oh boy, this one must be ready!", lol!

I made sure it was fed a weak solution of all purpose miracle gro weekly, i also did i weekly foliar spray feeding. And i definitely kept them moist at all times. Maybe the others that are still in the growing area will surprise me :)

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9679400

When did you plant? Carrots need temps about 60 to 70F to make good roots, and above 70F carrots don't store energy in their roots much.
jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9679416

i started the seed about late july - early august, thought i would give them a good head start.

Think i could get away with planting another batch of seed and have enough time before the harsh winter? I know they can tolerate winter temps somewhat if they are properly mulched around

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9679517

I'd just leave the ones you have and wait a while. We'll get some cool weather coming up; they'll probably start filling out soon. Its too late to plant anymore here, so I'm sure it is for you, too.
jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9679523

oh yeah i had no intentions of pulling the rest, but was talking about sowing another separate plot elsewhere, but if it would be too late in the season, would be best to save that seed for next time ;)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9679601

Does carrot seed keep very long? I mean, how long does it keep?
jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9679609

the Black Knight carrot seed i bought was a fresh 2013 harvest from a grower directly from the country of Turkey--where this variety originates. I always follow a 1 year viability rule
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9679624

Thank you. I didn't think it did keep very long.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9679629

I checked, mine aren't ready yet. A couple of survivor spring carrots were so big I couldn't pull them without breaking, but they weppre still sweet. Growing in the shade of pepper plants. Since I have so little luck with carrots, I may have to buck the official method and try that next year. Of course it WAS a mild spring...

This message was edited Oct 6, 2013 6:08 PM
jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9679663

ive been trying to grow them during the autumn season because every time i try during the spring, they seem to take so long that by the time they are ready, they are quite bitter from summer heat. Or at least thats how my usual luck goes, lol

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9679823

Give them another 30 days and they should be good size. Have you thinned them?

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9679865

oh yes i always make sure to stay on top of thinning upkeep, i was more concerned about the lack of color more than anything. :)
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

November 9, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9705591

I have to stick my nose in here and tell you all something VERY FUNNY. My husband, fairly new to growing veggies, pulled a carrot outta the ground when I MENTIONED that it looked like it was about "ready." Pop! Out came that root, and NOPE, it was NOT ready.
I told him that I had ONLY MENTIONED that it seemed ready, but could he see that it wasn't? "Oh yes," he replied. "But I'll just stick it back in the soil to grow some more."
Thought I split my side laughing so hard!
That carrot was TRULY worth the sacrifice! God Love Hubby!
jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9706223

HAH, boy if only it worked like that!

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9706291

Divorce! LOL
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2014
11:16 AM

Post #9790160

Here in California we really haven't had a winter (as you all probably know). We had a cold snap in November (in the teens and 20's), which froze my young citrus trees. Other than that, it has been really mild - 40's and 50's mostly. Today it should be 80. And we obviously haven't had any rain... but all my carrots (Ya-Ya & Nantes), grown in two separate beds and two different times are ALL pale. And the carrot tops of the plants around the edges of the beds are being nibbled. Any thoughts? Thanks! - Patty

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2014
12:20 PM

Post #9790192

Rabbits love carrot tops as well as lettuce and sweet potato leaves. So do deer. They probably will eat a lot more vegetables that those, but those are the ones I KNOW they eat. I have never had rabbits or deer eat garlic or onion tops though, nor have I noticed any problem with my broccoli, celery, or pepper plants, both hot and bell peppers.

Ken

drobarr

drobarr
Hummelstown, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2014
3:28 PM

Post #9790312

Ken,

Rabbits here in PA love small cabbage and broccoli or any other crucifer until they get some size. They don't bother my onions, potatoes, squashes, tomatoes or peppers. They also like to eat my lettuce, spinach, cranberries, chard, carrot tops and peas...particularly when they are young.

I have tried all sorts of natural products but none have worked very well.

I think I will put up a barrier this year.

With so much snow on the ground this year the rabbits destroyed my blueberries. There wasn't much else for them to forage on because there was a few feet of snow for a prolonged period. They pretty much mowed down the top part of the bush that was exposed above the snow which had all the buds for this years growth and fruit wood.

Patty, what do you mean by pale? The carrot tops or the root?

John

klrkkr

klrkkr
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2014
3:48 PM

Post #9790326

I planted sweet potatoes last spring, and when the plants were well leafed-out, I discovered damage to my sweet potato plants' leaves. I immediately suspected rabbits, since we see several in the neighborhood and occasionally some in our back yard. On closer examination I found hoof prints. It was a deer. I strung light gage aluminum wire all around the garden, starting at 2' and putting additional strands every foot up to six feet. Then, several nights later I saw a rabbit, again munching on my sweet potato leaves. The next day I put up plastic mesh around the garden, going up 2' from the ground. Problem solved.
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2014
8:16 PM

Post #9797423

No rabbits or deer here in the concrete jungle. What bothers carrot tops? (must be tiny-tiny somethings...)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America