AuthorContent

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9679427

First time I have grown them. Only three huge stalks, but it's getting cold at night so I pulled them. Should I leave them on the stalks and use them over time, or should I cut them off and refrigerate them, or give them a quick bath in boiling water and freeze them?? I am clueless.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2013
9:06 PM

Post #9679856

Leave them with frost protection like some sheets or lightweight blankets.

Harvest the sprouts from the bottom up. They'll continue producing as the stalk continues to grow.

Feed em periodically...

Enjoy!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9680022

Thanks!!
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9680218

Brussel Sprouts love the cold. Did you buy plants from the store or did you start from seed? What month did you plant.? I am planting seeds this month, but it might be too late for that. I'll check to see if WalMart has plants. Its been so hot here in Texas, that I didn't have a Summer Garden,. I didn't have any desire to go into the garden. Now, that the temperature is 59, I feel the need to plant Lettace, Brussel Sprouts,Onion,Carrots,Radish. I'm hoping Walmart has some Brussel Sprout plants. I'm willing to trade some Kale Plants for Brussel Plants if anyone wants to do that.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9680249

Hey, Behillman!
I think you still have time for the BS. Even better if you can find plants already started. They take a good bit of time to grow, but they tolerate our mild winters. Cover them over if the temps dip below freezing for more than a couple hours/days up there.

Also, (and I learned this the hard way...) BS need heavy, tight soil for their roots to anchor and properly produce sprouts. I thought I was doing mine a favor planting them in wonderfully rich, loose pine bark fines, perlite, and peat. That was great for everything else growing, but the BS never produced anything except what's called "blown" sprouts. Meaning, the sprouts were loose like cabbages. They never got hard and tight like a sprout is supposed to. A couple of the brassicas have really shallow roots, and need tight soil to anchor and hold up their big heads when the wind blows. Otherwise, they get blown over, and the roots come up -- not a good thing.

They need soil as hard as concrete. Trust me. They'll be happy! And, feed them periodically. Like most brassicas, they're water-hogging, hungry hippos, LOL!

Enjoy!

Linda

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America